Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Hmmm, now you're getting somewhere. Take a look with a PIWIS or similar VCDS on a fixed 14' or earlier model.
Don't think I really need to - the data is there via OBD port. What would the PIWIS give me?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:03 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

911howl,

DId you figure out the burning smell? Our MY15 has been back for a week and noticed a burning smell today. I don't think its burning oil.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:11 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
911howl,

DId you figure out the burning smell? Our MY15 has been back for a week and noticed a burning smell today. I don't think its burning oil.
We had some "new stuff" burning smell for a couple of days with the '14, but didn't really notice anything on the '15. Might have been there, but since the '14 was first, it may have just been normal and unremarkable to me by then.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:55 AM
991howl
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoach
911howl,

After couple of days, it does not seem to exist.
Not sure, if my nose got used to it OR was really a transient?
Old 01-20-2018, 12:05 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 991howl
After couple of days, it does not seem to exist.
Not sure, if my nose got used to it OR was really a transient?
1st day only burning smell from the 14. Will trade most likely this Spring. Not the same.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:29 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Had the modifications done to my 2013 CD on 1/18 -- so far so good as far as the vehicle's behavior is concerned. As documented in the booklet Porsche sent, the engine braking going downhill is less (pretty much non-existent), requiring use of the brakes more than before, engine sounds slightly different, power seems about the same, and shifting behavior seems fine. Haven't noticed any warm-up issues (temps in Newport are normally mid 60's to 70's). Have driven about 100 miles over the past couple of days

Work was performed at the Newport Beach Porsche dealer. Loaner was provided, vehicle received an exterior only wash, gas gauge was slightly above 1/2 full when I picked it up (Porsche clearly states that "a full tank of fuel" is included with this modification -- page 9 of booklet). Was not offered delivery of the vehicle upon completion, as promised in the booklet. And upon opening the rear hatch, my wife noticed crusty dried-on white stuff on the metal strip near the rear hatch latch; the white stuff had a trail that led to the adblue tank -- looks like DEF spill. Took pictures, then cleaned it. I am purposely sticking to the facts, and not offering any personal opinions of this service visit; my expectations may differ from yours, and / or the Dealers.

Last edited by philg3; 01-21-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:11 PM
JRoach
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks 911howl. My smell went away as well but now that I think back it must have been related to the regular service done at the same time. If MY15 is just the SW update then there shouldn't be anything new to smell.

After a week or so, post fix, not certain how I will see the MPG that I had been getting before. Holding 7th gear longer, holding lower gears when cold, and so on. I use to be able to get 31mpg on any drive longer than 15mi (20/80 street to hwy) using good mileage practices (not spirited). I understand that the data is only partly empirical but my average now is closer to 28. Not certain how others see anything over 35 as I practice "safer" hypermiling (sp) techniques. I've also observed that my first few miles out of the house seem to be a higher mpg than before.

If somebody reading this forum has not done the fix yet I would be curious of your before/after experience in the first mile or so leaving your house. It can be a predictable mile as the stops signs, traffic, time of day when you leave and so on are pretty consistent.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Ok I discovered my VAG-COM will datalog boost, EGT, etc. The sample rate sucks (2-3Hz) but its interesting enough to look at.

I did some 3rd gear runs... logged RPM, EGT and Boost. Accelerate from a stop with the trans in "automatic" until it shifts to third, then flip the shift lever over to manual, slow down to 1200rpm or so... and floor it (but don't hit the kick-down switch).

Peak boost ~23psi (the 260kPa number is "absolute" so need to subtract 100kPa for atmospheric pressure) up to around 3000rpm where it falls (as reported here already) down to 15. Peak EGT 783C (1440F) at 4500rpm.

Did a few runs and the data is pretty consistent.

Standard cruise at 55mph is around 3psi boost and 400C (750F) EGTs.

Wish I'd have realized the VC would log this or I'd have happily taken before/after fix logs.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:21 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Today I received two packages in the mail. Both were from Porsche, welcome kit. One for my 2016 "Unpunched" Cayenne Diesel (CD) and the other for my 991.2 GT3. The package contains a brochure and a small hardbound book about the car you just bought. I like the carbon fiber pen. Nice thank you gift from Porsche.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

One for the Cayenne Diesel, the other for my 991.2 GT3

Cayenne packet

Brochure, small hardbound book, and Carbon fiber pen
Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Ok I discovered my VAG-COM will datalog boost, EGT, etc. The sample rate sucks (2-3Hz) but its interesting enough to look at.
I did some 3rd gear runs... logged RPM, EGT and Boost. Accelerate from a stop with the trans in "automatic" until it shifts to third, then flip the shift lever over to manual, slow down to 1200rpm or so... and floor it (but don't hit the kick-down switch).
Peak boost ~23psi (the 260kPa number is "absolute" so need to subtract 100kPa for atmospheric pressure) up to around 3000rpm where it falls (as reported here already) down to 15. Peak EGT 783C (1440F) at 4500rpm.
Did a few runs and the data is pretty consistent.
Standard cruise at 55mph is around 3psi boost and 400C (750F) EGTs.
Wish I'd have realized the VC would log this or I'd have happily taken before/after fix logs.
Somewhere, I have one of the original VAG-COM's, that used a RJ-45 connector.. Used it when I had my '97 Audi. I remember (nostalgically) plugging into the car and then dragging 100' of cat5 upstairs to where my PC was to scan the car.. (Laptops were really expensive then!)
Anyway, I picked up a OBDlink LX, and the refresh rate isn't MUCH better than that, and the OBDlink is known to have the best PID read rate around. I'm looking forward to having this additional info on-screen when I'm towing. In Torque, I made a little dashboard for Transmission temp, Intake air temp, Boost, and EGT's that I'll leave up. I'm wondering what the trans temp will be. Running around empty, whether in traffic or flogging it, it stays right at 200° F, so whatever regulation system is in play here is working very well! (I have the 12:00 position of that gauge set at 225° - anything less than that and I'm not worried.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by GT3RS-Fan1
Today I received two packages in the mail. Both were from Porsche, welcome kit. One for my 2016 "Unpunched" Cayenne Diesel (CD) and the other for my 991.2 GT3. The package contains a brochure and a small hardbound book about the car you just bought. I like the carbon fiber pen. Nice thank you gift from Porsche.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

One for the Cayenne Diesel, the other for my 991.2 GT3

Cayenne packet

Brochure, small hardbound book, and Carbon fiber pen
Very cool! I've got 2 of those from the two Boxsters I bought. Never got one for the Cayenne. I don't remember if the Boxster ones came with a hardcover book though?

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Somewhere, I have one of the original VAG-COM's, that used a RJ-45 connector.. Used it when I had my '97 Audi. I remember (nostalgically) plugging into the car and then dragging 100' of cat5 upstairs to where my PC was to scan the car.. (Laptops were really expensive then!)
Anyway, I picked up a OBDlink LX, and the refresh rate isn't MUCH better than that, and the OBDlink is known to have the best PID read rate around. I'm looking forward to having this additional info on-screen when I'm towing. In Torque, I made a little dashboard for Transmission temp, Intake air temp, Boost, and EGT's that I'll leave up. I'm wondering what the trans temp will be. Running around empty, whether in traffic or flogging it, it stays right at 200° F, so whatever regulation system is in play here is working very well! (I have the 12:00 position of that gauge set at 225° - anything less than that and I'm not worried.
Mine's pretty old - RS232 serial port connection. I bought it back in... 2003 or 2004 when I had my old GTI.

Ya know I didn't look to see if it has trans temp available. Something I've been interested in monitoring when towing. Tho VAG-COM doesn't exactly make it easy to read while driving. When logging I use a Windows tablet, which I originally purchased for logging on my old 944 Turbo (software had a nice "gauge" display).
Old 01-23-2018, 01:46 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Torque dash..
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

I like it.... nice.

I wonder if the iPhone version is as nice/configurable? Reviews for iOS Torque are not as good as Android versions.

In other news... like I need another hole in my head... I'd talked myself off the ledge of trading my '14 for a '15+. Then I read the new CPO warranty is unlimited miles. I put about 35k/yr on my cars so that warranty is tempting.

Then I find a local dealer has a '15 CD, 9k miles, listed officially as CPO, loaded, PP+, hitch.... PLUS Burmester (which is a big want....) Ad says "Warranty until 2023" though the build sheet says "2021" so not sure on that....

But unlimited miles and warrantied to 2023 is tempting.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:37 PM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
I like it.... nice.

I wonder if the iPhone version is as nice/configurable? Reviews for iOS Torque are not as good as Android versions.

In other news... like I need another hole in my head... I'd talked myself off the ledge of trading my '14 for a '15+. Then I read the new CPO warranty is unlimited miles. I put about 35k/yr on my cars so that warranty is tempting.

Then I find a local dealer has a '15 CD, 9k miles, listed officially as CPO, loaded, PP+, hitch.... PLUS Burmester (which is a big want....) Ad says "Warranty until 2023" though the build sheet says "2021" so not sure on that....

But unlimited miles and warrantied to 2023 is tempting.
The warranty date starts with the punch date (in service date). So if it was punched in 2015 you'd only have until 2021.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:56 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Unlimited miles?!?!? Wow.. That would have been tempting when I was shopping.

I found the one you're talking about - That's a nice one! Tempting.. The Burmester is even more of a pipe dream when I was looking than Air suspension!

If you go that route, I found a nice deal on a set of new 20" RS spyder wheels ...

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue