Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 12:40 PM
vmitrader
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, very helpful info. I'm in Northern VA, do I need to worry about driving the car if the cam chain tensioner is damaged?
Old 10-30-2017, 12:44 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by vmitrader
Thanks for the reply, very helpful info. I'm in Northern VA, do I need to worry about driving the car if the cam chain tensioner is damaged?
I wouldn't be using it for a daily driver.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:06 PM
stas101
Advanced

Hi all, first post here. Had the bolts in my 2011 Cayenne S (95k miles) snap and car totally died without about 1 minute notice from light on to zero power. Was in the shop for 3 weeks while the parts were manufactured and sent from Germany. Once I got it back the "check engine" light was still on and engine was making a rattling noise, brought it back to dealer and after two weeks of zero communication they said the camshaft solenoid had to be replaced at a cost of $1400 to me. Seems pretty coincidental those two things happened at the same time. Anyways, replaced that and just got it back but it's still making a loud rattling noise when accelerating although no engine lights are on. Any thoughts on what this could be?
Hi. Well looks like I ran into the same problem 5 months after my snapped camshaft adjusters bolts issue was fixed ( waiting 4 months now for my reimburstment from Porsche usa). Got check engine light and p1359 and p1363 errors (valve lift control cylinder 1 and cyl 3) and occasional misfire on cylinder 1. Did you get the error codes that were triggering the check engine?
Old 10-30-2017, 04:07 PM
vmitrader
5th Gear

Don that is bad news since it is my daily driver. Stas101, I don't have any engine lights on now but when I first got the car back from the dealer to correct the recall issues with the bolts, the codes were camshaft related, can't recall exactly which ones they were though. Not having the light on now does not make me feel better
Old 10-30-2017, 04:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Don that is bad news since it is my daily driver. Stas101, I don't have any engine lights on now but when I first got the car back from the dealer to correct the recall issues with the bolts, the codes were camshaft related, can't recall exactly which ones they were though. Not having the light on now does not make me feel better
It might be worth doing several things to determine what's the problem..

Go to Harbor Freight (since you're in VA - there must be one nearby) and buy their mechanics stethoscope (usually $3.99, sometimes on sale for $1.99) and try to track down the source of the rattle. It is possible it's something like a belt-idler on the serpentine belt, or something equally innocuous.

If that doesn't help - and you have a Porsche diagnostics tool - look at the camshaft advance/timing. The iCarScan gives an "expected angle" and "actual angle" values - and you can plot these on a graph. The values should be close in value. You have to check both cylinder banks of the engine.

You might also find stored codes in the ECU that weren't triggering a CEL - but were stored away. Having those codes would help in diagnosing what the problem is.

Thing about the bolts breaking: The heads of the bolts apparently usually fall back into the cam gallery (behind the Variocam adjuster). There are instances where they don't end up there - and can't be found. They may be down in the crankcase, or they could have gone forward a tiny bit and down the timing chain case - where they will cause mischief.

Porsche's general action on a failure like this is - if the shop can't find all the bolt pieces that broke - it's new engine time.

All the parts - and the plastic guide that routes the chain between the two cylinder heads - are shown in this picture.

The timing chain tensioner uses an oil-piston #5 in the drawing (oil pressure from the engine provided the tensioning force) to keep tension on the chain when the engine is running.

There is also a large U shaped guide that is guiding the chain between the two heads, and yet another tensioner that provides tension for the lower chain that drives the oil pump on the engine:

Any of these plastic tensioners/guides could be damaged if part of one of the bolts gets into the timing chain case - and might be causing your rattle.

Careful use of the mechanics stethoscope should help narrow down where the noise is coming from.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:55 PM
stas101
Advanced

I hear you man. Same thing here check engine only goes on after a while of driving after i clear the error codes but i can feel the engine hesitate at idle more than usual like misfire even though spark plugs are new and coils checked and swaped to make sure its another issue. Had to schedule a diagnostic apointment with the porsche dealer since even performance exotic cars shops in my area do not have Piwis. Ill be talking to porsche techs and managers while there since I'm 99% sure its timing related after my camshaft adjusters came off and it must be fixed by Porsche for free since its THEIR fault in the first place!
Old 10-30-2017, 05:18 PM
vmitrader
5th Gear

Don, wow thank you for taking the time to provide that info! Stas101, good luck with the dealer. Mine has been terrible and at one point told me I needed an entirely new transmission to fix the problem. Keep me posted on whether Porsche steps up and does the right thing
Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM
vmitrader
5th Gear

Don, forgot to ask: How can I find out if the shop found all of the bolt pieces, would they have made a note of that? Presumably they could just tell me they did if there is no way to find them......
Old 10-30-2017, 06:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Don, forgot to ask: How can I find out if the shop found all of the bolt pieces, would they have made a note of that? Presumably they could just tell me they did if there is no way to find them......
You can't - and if they went ahead an replaced the obvious broken parts without finding all the bolt pieces you'll never know. People in the know ask to see the pieces..
Old 11-04-2017, 09:49 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Any updates from PCNA? This is ridiculous as many have gotten the recall notice, but now we are all just in limbo. Is there any timing when we will get these fixed? I heard late August, late September, late October! Now I am really frustrated. BMW announced their big recall today and said they will start fixing next month. I have a GL450, and it has been very good and has a twin turbo V8 too. Maybe its time to get a GL63 AMG instead of the Cayenne Turbo. PCNA, any updates. We all know you read these posts.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 AM
stas101
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
Any updates from PCNA? This is ridiculous as many have gotten the recall notice, but now we are all just in limbo. Is there any timing when we will get these fixed? I heard late August, late September, late October! Now I am really frustrated. BMW announced their big recall today and said they will start fixing next month. I have a GL450, and it has been very good and has a twin turbo V8 too. Maybe its time to get a GL63 AMG instead of the Cayenne Turbo. PCNA, any updates. We all know you read these posts.
No idea. Im on my 4th month waiting fod reimbursment. I heard they are claiming lack of parts. Sounds very fishy since should have been getting some from July.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:26 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

WELP

it would seem as though my engine just gave up on life.

PSM failure, began running VERY rough, practically won't fire back up.

Last edited by projekt-h; 11-04-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by projekt-h
WELP

it would seem as though my engine just gave up on life.

PSM failure, began running VERY rough, practically won't fire back up.
Sorry to hear that. Have you looked inside the oil filler opening to see if it was that side that sheered off?

The good-news/bad-news is that you're 50/50 on needing a new engine.. and that apparently they do have enough parts available for vehicles that have actually blown up.. so if it doesn't get a new engine - it may get fixed in a semi-timely manner.

I'd call the dealer and ask that they send someone with a flat-bed around to pick it up, and ask what they have for a loaner. Maybe they'll have a nice Panamera for you to beat around in..
Old 11-04-2017, 06:20 PM
projekt-h
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Sorry to hear that. Have you looked inside the oil filler opening to see if it was that side that sheered off?

The good-news/bad-news is that you're 50/50 on needing a new engine.. and that apparently they do have enough parts available for vehicles that have actually blown up.. so if it doesn't get a new engine - it may get fixed in a semi-timely manner.

I'd call the dealer and ask that they send someone with a flat-bed around to pick it up, and ask what they have for a loaner. Maybe they'll have a nice Panamera for you to beat around in..
Thank you. I didn't look inside it at all... probably should have. I'm kinda glad I decided to go biking instead of changing my oil like I planned to do today, otherwise I may have had a mild freakout if it failed after I changed the oil. Lesson learned: shirking responsibilities to go mountain biking is a good thing!

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to see it get a new motor. Fresh heart could mean this one will definitely last for many years to come. I'm going to request that if it's determined to be the Variocam issue that they at least look into the rest of motor (as they should and likely will) to ensure nothing else got damaged.

I called the dealer, service advisor is not in on Saturdays (they're a smaller dealership) so they told me to call the 1.800 number, but unfortunately I won't be able to get scheduled a loaner until Monday when he's in. They dispatched a truck out to get me, and a friend was able to pick me up at the dealership. Because they have some silly low overhang at my dealer and the back gate to the lot was locked & blocked, they weren't able to drop my car there. It's at the towing company's storage yard until Monday and early in the morning it will be getting dropped off.

Naturally, I will keep you guys posted as to what happens
Old 11-05-2017, 02:08 PM
jroberts
8th Gear

Picking up a 2011 Cayenne S with ~83k miles on the east coast and driving it home to the west coast. The recall has not been done--parts are not available.
My question is should I drive the car cross country without the repair? Is this a low level risk? (car has active extended warranty).

Thanks Jeff

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts