Sponsored By:

CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:58 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my letter arrived

guess they didn't replace the bolts before i bought it last year even though this has been a problem on the forums since 2015

same as everyone else's: there's a recall, we don't have the parts, just keep driving your car it's fine (....really.... nothing to worry about.... ignore those forums.... )

Old 08-31-2017, 03:34 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well--- it has now been 8 week since my Cayenne S is sitting at the dealer.... -_-
Old 08-31-2017, 08:55 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
my letter arrived

guess they didn't replace the bolts before i bought it last year even though this has been a problem on the forums since 2015

same as everyone else's: there's a recall, we don't have the parts, just keep driving your car it's fine (....really.... nothing to worry about.... ignore those forums.... )

Interesting, I haven't received my notice yet. Does it have any information about when the parts might be available, or if you'll be contacted again when they are?

Did it instruct you to contact your dealer? (which I've already done and am on their own list for AH08)

TIA
Old 08-31-2017, 10:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by GBX
Looking at buying a 2012 CTT that's included in this recall. The car is out of warrentee. If damage occurs to the engine as a result of the bad bolt, before it's replaced, will Porsche cover it the repair? Trying to decide if it's too big of a risk to buy a car included in this recall since the parts aren't available. Thanks guys!
Depends on if you NEED the car to be running 100% of the time. If the bolts fail - not having replacement bolts means Porsche would have to install replacement VarioCam adjusters - which come with the new bolt design. This could be done in a few days - or it may take longer (mine took a month - but that's a long story..) Would you be happy driving a loaner for that period of time?

And yes - Porsche IS on the hook for the repair. It doesn't matter who owns the vehicle, Porsche has to fix it at their expense. If additional damage is done to the engine - they have to fix that too - even if it requires replacing the engine with a new/rebuilt one.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:53 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuyNVA
Interesting, I haven't received my notice yet. Does it have any information about when the parts might be available, or if you'll be contacted again when they are?

Did it instruct you to contact your dealer? (which I've already done and am on their own list for AH08)

TIA
no on both. Just said they would contact me again when parts are available.

I'll have to upload a photo of the letter later
Old 09-01-2017, 10:48 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
no on both. Just said they would contact me again when parts are available.

I'll have to upload a photo of the letter later
Thanks, much appreciated.

Still waiting for my letter to show up in the mail. PNA did verify my VIN in a phone call to them just after AH08 was announced.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:16 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Not the best timing. Left work at 1130 to go home to catch an international flight. On way home, engine failure light, PASM light, I'm like..........!!!!.....

Get off the freeway, pull into a gas station. Bad noise and Engine stalled. Called PNH and Jay in service arranged a tow very quickly. Thank you.

Got a Lyft and arrived home.

Spoke to dealer one month ago regarding my recall letter and they checked for parts. Not available until late this month.

Well, I guess I need parts now. Car have 67000 miles.

Off on my honeymoon too Italy, getting a drink.......
Old 09-13-2017, 05:04 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 668 Posts

never good timing on something like that. Sorry to hear on all counts.

What the heck is taking Porsche so long to get these parts in & button these engines up!!
Old 09-29-2017, 12:41 PM
doublegarage
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the last (working) day of September - has anybody heard anything from Porsche and/or their dealer?

Thanks,

-Richard
Old 09-29-2017, 05:48 PM
stas101
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nada

Have yet to hear anything from Porsche USA while waiting for my reimbursment. It has been a month since they promised someone will contact me "shortly"
Old 09-30-2017, 12:49 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I have the somewhat bizarre USPS service where they send you every morning scanned images of the mail you'll be receiving..

Today's scan showed an envelope from Porsche Cars NA. Yahoo! Thought I.

Duh. It was a letter from my local dealership offering to do a free safety checkup on my 2011 Cayenne Turbo. Nothing at all about the recall.

Boo! Hey Porsche CNA - get off your butts and get those letters out. That's my money you're sitting on.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:27 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I stopped by Porsche dealership that has my Cayenne since July 1st....no updates.
- i'm not that happiest camper that this is taking forever however i do have a Loaner Cayenne but still....
Old 10-05-2017, 08:55 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

I got my letter weeks ago and the dealer still does not have the parts from Porsche. I don't get it, what is taking Porsche so long to get the parts? How much longer? This is getting ridiculous! Maybe time to trade in for something else.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:58 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by OCNYPORSCHE
I got my letter weeks ago and the dealer still does not have the parts from Porsche. I don't get it, what is taking Porsche so long to get the parts? How much longer? This is getting ridiculous! Maybe time to trade in for something else.
My WAG - Porsche isn't replacing just the bolts - it's going to do WC-22, which involved replacing the VarioCam adjusters (which have the flawed bolts in them..) and making a bunch of those, especially for an engine that will shortly be out of production probably isn't a high priority for the company (not Porsche) making them. Especially if Porsche did like most German car manufacturers do in this sort of case - makes the manufacturer eat the parts cost if they ever want to do business with VW/Audi/Porsche again.

Just a WAG - no verification, no facts - but that's what I suspect is happening. Variocam adjusters were in short supply when I had mine changed over 18 months ago. That was well before the recall. And they had to do the same thing to 17,000 cars in China and 15,000 cars in Japan. That's a LOT of parts to produce in a short period of time.

Thank Dog Porsche didn't use Makita airbags - that's going on 3 years now.. and they still have millions of cars to do.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:09 PM
MountainStone
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I stopped by Porsche dealership that has my Cayenne since July 1st....no updates.
- i'm not that happiest camper that this is taking forever however i do have a Loaner Cayenne but still....

My local dealer kept my Cayenne for 11 weeks awaiting a transfer case from Porsche. I had a loaner so long they had me come back to swap it for a different loaner so it could still be sold as a 'new' car (something about time it spent as a loaner). It was nice putting miles on a car that wasn't mine, but a 6-cylinder was no substitute for a turbo.

Go by and check your car on the lot. The idiots at my service department left mine sitting in the Texas sun for weeks without putting up the sunshade to cover the leather dash. It didn't suffer any damage that I can tell, but my SA chuckled at how the blue tag hanging from the rear view mirror had bleached out to a pale green.

Quick Reply: CAYENNE RECALL - Bad Variocam Bolts