Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 02:19 PM
Simeon
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4Pat
My dealer is by the book.... He did not even help when Porsche called him.... bummer
Go to a different dealer?
If Porsche NA is willing to pay why wouldn't any other dealer be able to help you.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:04 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by Simeon
If Porsche NA is willing to pay why wouldn't any other dealer be able to help you.
Maybe they don't want the "reduced fee work" if they're swamped with far more lucrative services that take up their service bay and technician times.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:23 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

THIS!
Old 10-06-2023, 01:12 PM
Rainman555
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not aware of the transfer case issue at time, however the drive was not smooth in local roads, I thought it is a feature as these cars are designed for highway, didn't push too much for service manager to investigate.
Old 10-07-2023, 12:23 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

Supposedly diesels don't have problems with the TC. Search around for that topic to confirm for yourself though.
I believe the diesel version used the Audi Quattro four wheel drive system, rather than the Porsche four wheel drive system.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:59 PM
Gr8brit1
1st Gear

Default How you managed this

Originally Posted by bweSteve
I hope so too since I got my Xfr case replaced a couple months ago too.

And I'm proof that they will, and have indeed replaced the TC outside of warranty. Zero cost to me. I was a year out of warranty, had 45k miles on my '12 CTT, and my dealership KNOWS that I autocross it hard. They are fine with that, and even applaud that I drive it the way a "Porsche" should be driven. "Good Will", so my dealer got paid anyway.

Now my next concern is the differentials, since I have PTV & I'm starting to feel walnuts back there. Diff fluid coming up next, but I'll be paying for the oil on this one myself.

=Steve
Steve, I wanted to learn more about how you managed to get this accomplished as I am too now having this problem and this after being 2 months out of the extended warranty and having only 38K miles on my vehicle.
Would you be up for sharing how you succeeded in getting this replacement covered outside of warranty?
Thank you
Bob
Old 10-26-2023, 03:44 PM
GT4Pat
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yah, I have been to two different dealers and contacted Porsche North America. They all said SORRY no mass.
Old 11-02-2023, 01:10 PM
CaptMorg82
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just joining the transfer case replacement club here. I just picked up a 2018 CPO Cayenne Base about 3 weeks ago with 33k miles on it. During the purchase process and test drive, I did not notice the hesitation and it drove really well. I actually liked it better than the 2020 that I was comparing it with (especially for $15k less). I did notice the tires were going to need replacing soon but they had enough tread to pass the CPO inspection apparently. Well, once I got the car home I looked closer at the tires, and they were just over the 6 year mark and were supposed to be replaced. Thankfully the dealership had no issues covering the tires (though one has to wonder about other parts of the inspection that passed also since this was a clear checklist item on the CPO inspection).

Back to the transfer case, once I was driving home in stop and go traffic allowing the car to warm up fully, unlike the test drive, I started noticing some annoying behavior in 2/3 gear. Some stuttering/hesitation. It wasn't super obvious but I immediately looked up the transfer case symptoms when I got home. Sure enough, I pretty much new that was the issue. Took it to the dealership that was closer to me and they confirmed it. It was replaced. So now I have a nice fresh transfer case and new rubber on the wheels. Hopefully she's good now! Anyways, I'm happy with how both dealerships service centers handled it. There was no pushback on either the tires or transfer case. The thing that is a bit annoying is that the inspection doesn't seem to be very effective.
Old 11-02-2023, 03:40 PM
Simeon
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaptMorg82
Just joining the transfer case replacement club here. I just picked up a 2018 CPO Cayenne Base about 3 weeks ago with 33k miles on it. During the purchase process and test drive, I did not notice the hesitation and it drove really well. I actually liked it better than the 2020 that I was comparing it with (especially for $15k less). I did notice the tires were going to need replacing soon but they had enough tread to pass the CPO inspection apparently. Well, once I got the car home I looked closer at the tires, and they were just over the 6 year mark and were supposed to be replaced. Thankfully the dealership had no issues covering the tires (though one has to wonder about other parts of the inspection that passed also since this was a clear checklist item on the CPO inspection).

Back to the transfer case, once I was driving home in stop and go traffic allowing the car to warm up fully, unlike the test drive, I started noticing some annoying behavior in 2/3 gear. Some stuttering/hesitation. It wasn't super obvious but I immediately looked up the transfer case symptoms when I got home. Sure enough, I pretty much new that was the issue. Took it to the dealership that was closer to me and they confirmed it. It was replaced. So now I have a nice fresh transfer case and new rubber on the wheels. Hopefully she's good now! Anyways, I'm happy with how both dealerships service centers handled it. There was no pushback on either the tires or transfer case. The thing that is a bit annoying is that the inspection doesn't seem to be very effective.
I second that with almost identical experience. It was a bit disappointing since I blindly trusted everything to have been in near perfect condition being a CPO and turned out not to be the case.
The following users liked this post:
CaptMorg82 (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:33 PM
mstrmoo
Track Day

This has probably been asked but... If you suspect your transfer case is going, but you still have warranty left, is it better to wait closer to the end of the warranty? Does waiting mean other parts may be damaged due to the transfer case?

My 2018 Cayenne has a warranty until Feb 2025. Debating getting it diagnosed/replaced now, or waiting.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:47 PM
CaptMorg82
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstrmoo
This has probably been asked but... If you suspect your transfer case is going, but you still have warranty left, is it better to wait closer to the end of the warranty? Does waiting mean other parts may be damaged due to the transfer case?

My 2018 Cayenne has a warranty until Feb 2025. Debating getting it diagnosed/replaced now, or waiting.
I had thought the same since I just started my 2 year of CPO warranty time. But I wouldn't want the thing to fully fail an strand me somewhere. Hopefully the replacement part has the issue solved. I think there is detailed discussion of the replacement part earlier in this thread as some people have gone through multiple transfer cases.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:30 AM
Simeon
Instructor

Originally Posted by mstrmoo

Fix it now. Why suffer through the annoying symptoms.
The following users liked this post:
RhinoComp (02-16-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 04:48 PM
Malmenator
Advanced

I created a thread outside of this since I may the first of eventually many cases that fall outside of the warranty window. Are people DIY'ing their transfer case swaps now? I changed with Ravenol fluid on my E-Hybrid, after feeling a very very subtle vibration with turns at full lock. Other than that, car seems to operate perfectly fine. Am I overthinking it, so are these early signs?
Old 02-05-2024, 11:15 PM
11bravo
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you certain your turns at full lock were not just tire chatter? That happens when wider tires are asked to make turns tighter than their width will allow. It used to happen on my Corvette all the time. Even if it was only tire chatter, you still did a good thing with the t/c fluid change.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:56 AM
Malmenator
Advanced

So I actually just learned that the E-Hybrid transfer case apparently is of a different model than other Cayenne models, in that I wasn't supposed to use the Ravenol DTF-1 for it, but I was supposed to use 75w-90 gear oil. I'll be buying two bottles: 1 to flush, 1 to fill. Hopefully this is all I need to do!

Quick Reply: Transfer case