Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

So while I was having the $900 spark-plug change take place, I asked my friend the mechanic if we could run the Cayenne up in the air for a few minutes so I could add some additive. Since he was interested in seeing if he could spot any of the tools that migrated from the top of the engine into the plastic belly pan - didn't take a lot of convincing.

Took a short allen, unscrewed the fill plug. Gave the tube a nice little squeeze until I could feel some of the oily stuff going into the transfer case (unless you have a CC measuring tool, or a hairdressers dye squeezy bottle to measure it with you won't know exactly how much was added..) seemed like enough went in. I was aiming for between 1-2 oz.

Went and took it for a drive around the block. Nothing dramatically different around town but it also probably hadn't gotten into the clutch pack on that short a drive. Went back, paid my bill, started home. Hit the local highway just for fun to see if it felt different. And Yes... it does. Shifts are almost unnoticeable except for the change in engine speed and thrust forward. Put it in sport mode and lined up at the traffic light gran'prix.. I led the pack by about 5-6 car-lengths in the first 10 seconds. It really surprised me how well it held 2nd gear - right up to around 70mph when I backed off the throttle (RPM were up close to 7k..) Boost came on and stayed on at about 8-9 PSI until I let up..

So far - it might be an improvement. Mines never felt bad, but sometimes it would feel a bit harsh on upshifts. It doesn't anymore. In the past fluid changes would smooth it out for a while. We'll see if this lasts longer. My last fluid change was 10,000 miles ago. I'm driving it from NJ to CA next week, so that will be a decent long-distance test to see if it holds up.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Wow $900.00 for plugs next time in the area call on me, it would be Gratis! or a truck load of beer! Not difficult at all unlike my 997 Turbo 8 hours for coils and plugs.
Your trips from coast to coast it may be soon
Planning to change my XC fluid at the next oil change will add the modifier to the bottle before replacing.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:02 PM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

At about an 8% friction modifier add it should be approx. 2.25 OZ of modifier. This is based on the .85L in the OEM fluid. Anything close 2.25 to 2.5 OZ should do it. Too much modifier can be bad also.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM
deilenberger
Banned

So far - still quite happy with the results of the additive. I was a passenger in the car yesterday so I could really pay attention to the shift quality - and it's about perfect. Driven moderately (wife driving) I found it very difficult to tell when it shifted. No sounds or signs of slippage - just super smooth shifting quality. I watched the tach on our way home last night (Easter dinner) - looking to see when it shifted - and for a number of the gears I wouldn't have known it upshifted if I didn't see the tach drop and the gear indicator change. I also observed no sign of any slippage.

I'm encouraged by the experience Eddie has had: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post15778712 that it may be a long-term fix. At least if the case doesn't go underwater..
Old 04-22-2019, 03:20 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

What I am stumped on is some transfer cases go south and some don't. What is the common denominator? Water intrusion? Are people in dry climates having issues? Our just wet climates?
Old 04-24-2019, 05:43 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Put my transfer case in myself. Looks to be the second replacement?
Anyhow ,how do you get the AWD system failure green warning to go out? " AWD SYSTEM FAULT"
Dealer visit?
Runs great with the new case and it has the upgraded vent.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Chaos
Put my transfer case in myself. Looks to be the second replacement?
Anyhow ,how do you get the AWD system failure green warning to go out? " AWD SYSTEM FAULT"
Dealer visit?
Runs great with the new case and it has the upgraded vent.
Dealer or buy one of the Porsche capable tools and reset it yourself. Since you're obviously a quite avid DIYer I think the tool would be a sound investment for you.

We are hoping you took photos and are going to write up a DIY for us..
Old 04-24-2019, 09:20 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
What I am stumped on is some transfer cases go south and some don't. What is the common denominator? Water intrusion? Are people in dry climates having issues? Our just wet climates?
We don't know. Some theorize it's short trips that never get it up to temperature so any moisture that gets into it hangs around causing trouble. On ones I've seen photos of being rebuilt some rust was evident on the steel clutch-plates. It might also have a relationship to how the car is driven.. mine isn't driven in anger all that often.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:32 AM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 346 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
We don't know. Some theorize it's short trips that never get it up to temperature so any moisture that gets into it hangs around causing trouble. On ones I've seen photos of being rebuilt some rust was evident on the steel clutch-plates. It might also have a relationship to how the car is driven.. mine isn't driven in anger all that often.
Fortunately I am not having any symptoms yet. 64k miles (knock on wood). The bad part is my that my tag on the top of the TC that has all the information on it is missing. So if mine does go south, I'm going to have to wait until it fails, open it up and check the chain size before I can even order parts. That will be quite a spell of down time.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:31 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pretty strait forward in/out. Ten bolts. Don't forget the new improved vent. Also it comes full of fluid. The core is $633.00
They want it back UNOPENED.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Cayenne S 2011 ... first owner. 83,000 miles. Transfer case has failed. Looking at $4900 to fix it since it’s out of warranty. Dealer won’t even give me a goodwill partial credit.
It has been about a week since I just did the transfer fluid change at my indy shop and the car still drives almost like new and no thumping when I accelerate from stop. I have not even added the additive !! I can't believe Porsche dealership just not even suggest this before they recommend a 5K fix. I would like to thank (special kudos to Deilenberger) and rest of the crew here for their insight on this issue. So very helpful and has possibly saved me 5K (fingers crossed). I will keep you all posted with the 958.1's progress.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Rennmaschine
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

(copying a post I made in another thread to be included in this great all encompassing Transfer Case thread.

So this past weekend I drained out the Ravenol after a month of use and filled the transfer case with Porsche -63 fluid and about two-thirds of a 4oz bottle of Lubegard 42851 Universal Slip Supplement. I poured the Lubegard into the Porsche bottle and shook it up, then attached a FloTube Oil Spout (from AutoZone) to the bottle and refilled the TC case, and used new drain plugs.

The Porsche fluid and Lubegard made a noticeable improvement over the month-old Ravenol. The car seems more lively, more eager. I don’t know if the improvement should be attributed to the new Porsche oil, or the Lubegard, or both. The combo is better than pure Ravenol.

I really like the results. If all continues to go well, I will use this combo for future TC fluid changes.

So just an observation here: The Porsche -63 fluid combined with the Lubegard 42851 has made my car feel more lively vs the pure Ravenol that I was running for the previous month. I theorize that the car may now be more RWD biased under the new fluids, at least that’s how it feels. So a month ago when I filled the TC with pure Ravenol, I did notice instantly that my car felt slightly less lively, but I attributed that to subtle gearing differences when I mounted stock 9Y0 Turbo wheels and tires on my 958 (which have a larger rolling diameter vs 958 tires). I did the wheel swap and Ravenol at the same time. But now with the Ravenol replaced with Porsche -63 fluid and Lubegard 42851, the car feels more lively again. So it seems the Ravenol in the TC might have created some very subtle drag effect on the transmission shifting, or made the car less RWD biased. Now the transmission shifting pattern seems to be better with the new fluid in the TC. I didn't expect the TC fluid to affect the transmission shifting, but it was noticeable to me, though subtle. The car seems more RWD biased now with the friction modifier, so that may be why it seems more lively off the line and through the gears.

One curiosity I have now is how these friction modifiers will affect AWD in winter. If the TC relies on friction to send power to the front wheels, less friction might mean less power sent to the front wheels. I wonder how that will affect driving in winter conditions. It is something I'll be monitoring this upcoming winter. Of course a possible solution would be to refill the TC without a friction modifier during winter months.

Last edited by Rennmaschine; 04-30-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
It has been about a week since I just did the transfer fluid change at my indy shop and the car still drives almost like new and no thumping when I accelerate from stop. I have not even added the additive !! I can't believe Porsche dealership just not even suggest this before they recommend a 5K fix. I would like to thank (special kudos to Deilenberger) and rest of the crew here for their insight on this issue. So very helpful and has possibly saved me 5K (fingers crossed). I will keep you all posted with the 958.1's progress.
please keep us posted
mine was great for about a month after new fluid...then it all came back
Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 PM
darrenbt
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was shopping for fluids for a transfer case fluid change in my recently purchased '12 CTT and stumbled upon a parts catalog from S-Tec listing all of the OEM part numbers and S-Tec part numbers for the transfer case parts. I'm going to use their fluid (S-Tec OIL0005 ATC Transmission Fluid) but someone more adventurous than me could see if individual replacement parts are available to repair a failing transfer case if fluid changes aren't doing the trick.

I attached the Cayenne specific pages but the full 206 page "Katalog" is available here. Anyone know the different between the PL72 ATC and PL72 T? Both appear to have 958 part numbers.

Attached Images
Old 04-29-2019, 11:07 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

One is Active (base, S, GTS, Turbo, TurboS), one is Torsen-C (hybrid, Diesel).

Quick Reply: Transfer case