Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 03:28 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike41
I guess it was too difficult to change the design with the 958.2 roll out but with the amount of failures you would think there would be a fix in place now to protect against customer dissatifisation and lack of trust.

And I would have thought they would change to the Audi design perhaps.
958.2 was as isn't unusual with Porsche - a sheet-metal appearance modification. At the time it came out they may not have had a good handle on the failure cause (it isn't clear they do yet actually) - but somewhere along the line they did change the design to a wider chain in the transfer case..
Old 03-04-2019, 04:08 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

I guess it was too difficult to change the design with the 958.2 roll out but with the amount of failures you would think there would be a fix in place now to protect against customer dissatifisation and lack of trust.

And I would have thought they would change to the Audi design perhaps.
The Audi design is far less performance oriented. The Porsche one is awesome under the various conditions a Cayenne sees... when it works!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I knew about the vent design change but I missed the change to the wider chain. When did this occur and what is the part number for the TC with this change?

what is the wider chain supposed to address or what does the narrow chain cause to fail?

Good information here!

thanks,

mike
Old 03-04-2019, 08:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

So I knew about the vent design change but I missed the change to the wider chain. When did this occur and what is the part number for the TC with this change?

what is the wider chain supposed to address or what does the narrow chain cause to fail?

Good information here!

thanks,

mike
No idea on any of that at all.. all I know is there are two different width chains - you have to buy the correct one using the PN on the top tag on the transfer case (of course likely to be water-soaked and impossible to get to..) VIN# might help. Only parts available are from eastern Europe.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

So are they making both width chains or at some point did they make a running change to the wider chain?
Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-06-2019, 02:31 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

According to Andrew the parts guy my S has the wide chain, build date I think is 6/10. The chain he sent me is a Borg Warner part. It's difficult to see but you can get a phone pic of the case number which as said is on top. You'll have to before ordering any parts.

Based on someone else's question a while back I checked these guys https://cobratransmission.com in FLA. They claim to have the parts but I went ahead and ordered from Andrew since he's definitely available for advice and such.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Default Build date

edde,

what is the build date 6/10?

Is this October 2016?

What year is your vehicle?

So are vehicles before this date have the more narrow chain?

thanks,

mike
Old 03-07-2019, 12:16 AM
edde
Instructor

edde,

what is the build date 6/10?

Is this October 2016?

What year is your vehicle?

So are vehicles before this date have the more narrow chain?

thanks,

mike
I'm assuming June 2010 - it is a 2011 S. I just peeked at the door jamb sticker to see what info was available. A lot of people here know lots more about these than I so...

It would seem really unlikely to me that anyone would mix up case types once they started shipping wide chains but who knows.

Check this link for info on the case number range,. You'll not know until you have it. On top on the flat. Gotta mirror a phone on it just right.

https://awd.tech/collections/pl72-at...-atc-1-25-wide

Old 03-07-2019, 01:07 AM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by FirstCayenne
2014 Cayenne base. 29,300 Mi
I had hesitation on 3rd and 4th gears merging into highways, going uphill and on lower gears going in sharp turns. Called the dealer and the adviser felt like it was transfer case right away.
Below is my invoice:

Transfer case replacement invoice
37,xxx miles (8,000 apart from 1st replacement) and same symptoms came back shuddering-grinding on 3-4th gears.
has Porsche found permanent solution yet??

Last edited by FirstCayenne; 03-07-2019 at 01:09 AM. Reason: error
Old 03-08-2019, 09:46 PM
Rockyboy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few questions to the group:

1. Does the issue exist in all model 2011-2018 years? Or did the factory change design at some point?
2. Is there pressure for a recall or extended warranty? Anything this group can do to apply pressure on corporate or the auto regulators to do so?
3. When taking the vehicle in for regular service, is there anything that can be checked to determine if the TC is wearing aggressively or prone to failure before symptoms show?
Old 03-09-2019, 01:47 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Rockyboy

1. Does the issue exist in all model 2011-2018 years? Or did the factory change design at some point?
2. Is there pressure for a recall or extended warranty? Anything this group can do to apply pressure on corporate or the auto regulators to do so?
3. When taking the vehicle in for regular service, is there anything that can be checked to determine if the TC is wearing aggressively or prone to failure before symptoms show?
1. Yes. Might have but it doesn't seem to have helped a lot. Some people had replacements fail.
2. There could be. I put the last movement together (for the Variocam adjusters) - someone else can take on this one. If someone wants clues on how to make it happen PM me.
3. Nope
Old 03-09-2019, 01:40 PM
edde
Instructor

Some of us have reported as a safety issue to NHTSA but that's not going anywhere.

Based on the experience of FirstCayenne and others having updated vents and such done with the issue returning I'm sticking with the friction modifier as a darn good solution for everything but chain wear.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:15 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Edde - it's hard to make it a safety issue since it really isn't. And that's all NHTSA really cares about. The Variocam bolts were a safety issue, and there had been major recalls on it in other countries, so there is evidence it was a dangerous problem. I may do the friction modifier next change. I don't hear any slapping of the chain (it's not clear it could since it's basically enclosed for much of it's path) just the occasional "slip" on a shift - never when the service adviser is along though.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM
cometguy
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockyboy

I've been looking at the various forums listing transfer-box failures in Macans (and in Cayennes to some extent also). In Macans, which started MY2015, there are tons of cases for model years 2015-2016, but also a good number for MY2017. I'm not seeing as many for MY2018, which have been out now for 1-1.5 years; I'm not sure if that's because they tend to have lower mileage on them or something got fixed by Porsche. In lots of the 2015-2017 Macan transfer-case failures, the odometers were under 20k miles upon (first) failure.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 PM
FirstCayenne
Advanced

Originally Posted by FirstCayenne
37,xxx miles (8,000 apart from 1st replacement) and same symptoms came back shuddering-grinding on 3-4th gears.
has Porsche found permanent solution yet??

Got my second TC replaced today. SA claimed that Porsche changed TC supplier and from now on they are good. not sure why part numbers are the same though)

Quick Reply: Transfer case