Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 PM
frmryooper
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add mine to the unlucky list. 2014 Cayenne Base Platinum Ed. 50,500 miles. It’s at the dealership now, awaiting a transfer case replacement. Out of warranty.

I noticed something wrong when it was still under 50k miles. It had random, mild, brief hesitations with regular to moderate acceleration between 25-35mph. It was barely noticeable but it was driving me nuts. It started happening more frequently, and was more noticeable. It felt like something was slipping (like driving over icy patches) or a misfire maybe. I started researching and found this thread, and others about the tc’s. Brought it to my (non-Porsche) mechanic who couldn’t diagnose it. No codes found.

In the next hundred miles it got significantly worse. After it warmed up, it had that slipping/chugging feeling with every acceleration. You could feel the thumps in the seat. It was bad enough that I lost confidence that it was going to get up to speed like I needed it to. It also started having a different symptom at slow speeds. When maneuvering in a parking lot (tight turns, low speed) it felt/sounded like I had knobby tires that were rubbing in the wheel wells. You could feel in in the steering wheel and the seat. I had my husband bring it to the dealer today, an hour away.

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to share how mine felt in case it helps someone else. We bought ours used from a Land Rover Dealer, but they directed us to the Porsche dealer In the same group. The service advisor didn’t seem too encouraging but came back with Porsche providing $2500 goodwill credit towards the $4200 repair (includes a state inspection that’s due and a set of wiper blades). We have a loaner until it’s done, which is estimated to be a week or so. I did add my info to the poll.

If they ever do a recall, would I be able to be reimbursed for my out of pocket cost? And I have concerns about having the same problem again. If there’s a 2 year warranty on the new one, what about the labor?
Old 04-12-2019, 11:17 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Cayenne S 2011 ... first owner. 83,000 miles. Transfer case has failed. Looking at $4900 to fix it since it’s out of warranty. Dealer won’t even give me a goodwill partial credit.
Before spending $5k - you might consider spending $10 and put a bit of friction modifier in the oil. So far people are batting 1000 on this "fixing" the problems. Not to say it always will, but for the price, and since you're facing replacing it anyway, wouldn't hurt to try.

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-22-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:44 AM
Served
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011 CTT 84K miles. Did a fluid change 6 months ago, after noticing the failing TC symptoms - thumping in the drivetrain on acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear. The fluid change helped immensely but the symptoms slowly started to come back after about 3k miles.. Did another change yesterday and this time added a bottle of the recommended Ford friction modifier. Acceleration is buttery smooth now, feels better than it ever has. Probably wont drive the pig in the rain anymore.

BTW re-torqued the drain plugs to only about 7 ft-lbs with fresh thread sealant. No leaks and no cracked pan.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:07 AM
pt911
Track Day

Wife's 2014 Cayenne S is now on it's fourth transfer case (original + 3 replacements) at around 65,000 miles....evidently the "new" one is yet another redesign vs the one that was installed 20k miles ago. We shall see....
Old 04-15-2019, 11:26 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by pt911
Wife's 2014 Cayenne S is now on it's fourth transfer case (original + 3 replacements) at around 65,000 miles....evidently the "new" one is yet another redesign vs the one that was installed 20k miles ago. We shall see....
That's insane (4) transfer cases! Fingers crossed on the original XC, 2011 turbo is still going strong with 175,487 miles.
First fluid change at 157K then 2 more about to replace it and the ATF again at the next oil change.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM
997PT2C4S
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: Porsche of Tysons confirmed its the transfer case, MaxCare is sending a rep out tomorrow to take a look and verify since its quoted as a $4,300 repair.

The service adviser did say that for people out of warranty they are recommending a $250 BG fluid service instead of replacement, she said they are having good results (this is supported here with folks here having reduced or no symptoms after fluid changes). I was a little surprised they are recommending the fluid change over total replacement. Makes me wonder if they know the "updated" parts are just as bad and trying to reduce pissed off customers coming back in 30k miles after dropping $4k on a new transfer case.

Originally Posted by matrixcare
Keep us posted! I am in the same boat bought a 16 GTS at CarMax with their MaxCare warranty with $50 deductible and it is doing the same transfer case issue. Have not had chance to brought into dealer yet for under warranty inspection. How is your experience with MaxCare warranty? Have you ever file any claim before for repairing?
Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM
jab23
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having symptoms that were clearly transfer case. Changed the transfer case oil with the Ravenol suggested here and on 6 Speed. Special thanks to Deilenberger for all he has done here. Fluid change is really simple. It's only been about a week and a half, but so far, so good. All symptoms gone. Will change again in 5000 as suggested.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:27 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jab23
I was having symptoms that were clearly transfer case. Changed the transfer case oil with the Ravenol suggested here and on 6 Speed. Special thanks to Deilenberger for all he has done here. Fluid change is really simple. It's only been about a week and a half, but so far, so good. All symptoms gone. Will change again in 5000 as suggested.
Glad to hear it worked for you - so far I can't recall anyone saying it hasn't worked or at least improved things. My next test will be adding about 2oz of anti-slip additive to the oil. Just to see how smooth it might become. Other people have raved about it - so I'm encouraged to do it - probably this week.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by 997PT2C4S
The service adviser did say that for people out of warranty they are recommending a $250 BG fluid service instead of replacement, she said they are having good results.
I'd love to know the justification behind that charge.. I guess it's just because they can. That really sounds like highway robbery to me.. .
Old 04-16-2019, 02:13 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Glad to hear it worked for you - so far I can't recall anyone saying it hasn't worked or at least improved things. My next test will be adding about 2oz of anti-slip additive to the oil. Just to see how smooth it might become. Other people have raved about it - so I'm encouraged to do it - probably this week.
Which additive are you adding? is it 2oz mix with 1q of transfer case oil?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 PM
test_user_unpaid
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by projectd18
Hi - it's me - I'm temporarily locked out of my usual account - something wrong with the login crappola.

I'm going to add whatever I find on the shelf at AutoZone. I do remember seeing something there that someone here used successfully - so figured I'd give it a go.

Don
Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 PM
edde
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would not waste 5K on a transfer case. I am among those who have tried multiple fluid changes with zero actual results only to add the friction modifier and be past 5K miles without a hiccup. It makes perfect sense that it works. MANY limited slip differentials require a friction modifier.

Someone before me got a Ford spec from their Porsche dealer and posted it in this thread I think. I used this because I had a partial old bottle on hand.

K & W Chemical Trans-X® Posi Trac® Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive (7 fl. oz.)

Do it now or do it after your $5K transfer case craps on you again
Old 04-17-2019, 09:01 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by projectd18
Typical ratios of friction modifier additive are 5 to 8% of the total capacity based on my experience.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:24 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by edde
I would not waste 5K on a transfer case. I am among those who have tried multiple fluid changes with zero actual results only to add the friction modifier and be past 5K miles without a hiccup. It makes perfect sense that it works. MANY limited slip differentials require a friction modifier.

Someone before me got a Ford spec from their Porsche dealer and posted it in this thread I think. I used this because I had a partial old bottle on hand.

K & W Chemical Trans-X® Posi Trac® Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive (7 fl. oz.)

Do it now or do it after your $5K transfer case craps on you again
Available at your friendly local AutoZone. $12 for the 7oz tube of goo.. bought it this AM.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Latest purchase

Quick Reply: Transfer case