Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:28 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstCayenne
SA claimed that Porsche changed TC supplier and from now on they are good.
That's been the claim, for what, 5 years now?!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 PM
wisstx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TC Failure 2016 Cayenne base - torque feels less

21,100 TC failure. 2016 Cayenne base. Typical suspects: shuddering in 2nd 3rd gears, lurching on slow turns. Covered under warranty.
After the work the car is definitely smoother almost to the point of too smooth. I know it is a base but it feels like lower torque.
How many folks are on their third TC?

Old 03-16-2019, 01:44 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Got my second TC replaced today. SA claimed that Porsche changed TC supplier and from now on they are good. not sure why part numbers are the same though)
This gets filed under "Service Advisers say the darndest things.."
Old 03-16-2019, 01:45 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by wisstx
21,100 TC failure. 2016 Cayenne base. Typical suspects: shuddering in 2nd 3rd gears, lurching on slow turns. Covered under warranty.
After the work the car is definitely smoother almost to the point of too smooth. I know it is a base but it feels like lower torque.
Hope you entered it into the survey..
Old 03-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Supplier

Anyone else hear of supplier change? I thought the problem was design related?

Got my second TC replaced today. SA claimed that Porsche changed TC supplier and from now on they are good. not sure why part numbers are the same though)
Old 03-19-2019, 05:26 AM
matrixcare
Track Day

Hi, This seems like the same symptoms on my 16 GTS w/17k miles as I just bought it 2 months ago. But mine was shuddering when it take off slowly up to 2nd gear and also when slow turn in both left and right. However, it did not happen every single time. It usually happens after I drove it for a while. Do you guys think I have the transfer case issue?

Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 AM
wisstx
Track Day

Hello and congratulations.
I am not the expert, but it sounds similar. After reading many of the posts and actually talking with the dealership, I was certain it was a TC issue. I was correct. It was tested by the dealership and clearly the case. You know what the car should feel like. Smooth. The TC problem feels like rolling over a full garden hose randomly. Slight bumps or lurches...

After the TC replacement the problem is gone and the shifts through the gears is smooth like you would expect. I test drove another Cayenne from Plano Porsche a few months back, (the first I ever drove) and it was wet out. I figured it was slipping on the wet pavement. Now, I know THAT CAYENNE too will need a replacement. Hopefully who ever buys it will realize it as well.

Matt
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

I was with my 2011 CTT (original TC + 2 replacements), but traded it at around 70k miles last June for my Macan GTS.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:50 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by matrixcare
Hi, This seems like the same symptoms on my 16 GTS w/17k miles as I just bought it 2 months ago. But mine was shuddering when it take off slowly up to 2nd gear and also when slow turn in both left and right. However, it did not happen every single time. It usually happens after I drove it for a while. Do you guys think I have the transfer case issue?
It's certainly possible. You might want to take it to your dealers. Since you're still under warranty there should be no charge to diagnose it or to replace it.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:54 PM
matrixcare
Track Day

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's certainly possible. You might want to take it to your dealers. Since you're still under warranty there should be no charge to diagnose it or to replace it.

BTW, Anyone got TC done under warranty in California? Which dealer?

Last edited by matrixcare; 03-19-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Add more
Old 03-20-2019, 02:12 AM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, boys and girls, I'm now in the TC replacement club. 2015 CS with around 30k miles. Similar symptom as others have experienced: Car shuddered around 2nd gear and turns. The shuddering becomes more obvious after vehicle reaches normal operating temp. I've felt it for over a month but waited until it got worse before taking it in because I know the dealer would say some crap like it's normal or wait and see if I took it in too soon. They have confirmed it's transfer case assembly failure and are replacing it under warranty.

Slightly off topic but I've also been experiencing high coolant consumption. Brought it into the dealer a month ago and they topped off the coolant and sent me on my way telling me to...you guessed it..wait and see. The helpful folks on this forum suggested that it's not normal to have to top off coolant at such low mileage. Well, on this transfer case trip, I demanded that they also look into that issue. Sure enough, they found a leak in the thermostat housing assembly. That will be replaced under warranty as well.

Now I just need them to figure out why my key gets stuck in the ignition once in a while. FML!
Old 03-20-2019, 04:47 PM
projectd18
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedad_73
Well, boys and girls, I'm now in the TC replacement club. 2015 CS with around 30k miles. Similar symptom as others have experienced: Car shuddered around 2nd gear and turns. The shuddering becomes more obvious after vehicle reaches normal operating temp. I've felt it for over a month but waited until it got worse before taking it in because I know the dealer would say some crap like it's normal or wait and see if I took it in too soon. They have confirmed it's transfer case assembly failure and are replacing it under warranty.

Slightly off topic but I've also been experiencing high coolant consumption. Brought it into the dealer a month ago and they topped off the coolant and sent me on my way telling me to...you guessed it..wait and see. The helpful folks on this forum suggested that it's not normal to have to top off coolant at such low mileage. Well, on this transfer case trip, I demanded that they also look into that issue. Sure enough, they found a leak in the thermostat housing assembly. That will be replaced under warranty as well.

Now I just need them to figure out why my key gets stuck in the ignition once in a while. FML!

Good thing you still have warranty, mine is also 2015 CS with 30K miles. TC was replaced when i bought the car used at 20K miles, hopefully with regular TC oil change it won't ever fail again. 2 more months of manufacture warranty left
Old 03-20-2019, 06:56 PM
porschedad_73
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by projectd18
Good thing you still have warranty, mine is also 2015 CS with 30K miles. TC was replaced when i bought the car used at 20K miles, hopefully with regular TC oil change it won't ever fail again. 2 more months of manufacture warranty left
I would never buy a used German car without CPO. Repairs are just too costly. I still have 2 months on my original warranty and then the CPO coverage kicks in so I'm good for 2 more years. Given how many times some folks had their TC replaced here, I'm not so sure even 2 years is enough. Good luck with yours. I would suggest for you to take it in to the dealership and just have them do a coutesy check on the health of the TC before warranty is up. Sometimes they might be nice enough to at least change the TC oil for you free of charge. Worth asking.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by porschedad_73
Well, boys and girls, I'm now in the TC replacement club. 2015 CS with around 30k miles.
Hopefully you've recorded your info in the survey?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by projectd18
Why not take it into your dealership and CPO it for a few grand? This gets you up to 7 years and 100K miles warranty.

Quick Reply: Transfer case