Sponsored By:

Transfer case

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TC #4

Just curious to your driving habits, do you do a great deal of stop and go or city driving?

How about off road?

Do you use carwashes?

Severe cold or hot environment driving conditions?

Towing?

There has to be something unique to your driving style, environment or vehicle to cause so many failures.

Anyone else on their 3rd, 4th or more Transfer Case?

mike
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike41
Just curious to your driving habits, do you do a great deal of stop and go or city driving?

How about off road?

Do you use carwashes?

Severe cold or hot environment driving conditions?

Towing?

There has to be something unique to your driving style, environment or vehicle to cause so many failures.

Anyone else on their 3rd, 4th or more Transfer Case?

mike
Don’t have the service records on me at the moment, but the failures were at approximately 11k, 28k, 38k and 51k. The car is 3 years old. Gets about 15-20k miles a year. Mostly commuting on the interstate to work and family trips. No trailer pulling. It’s been through an automated car wash only a handful of times. No off-roading. We do live in East Tennessee, so it is hilly, but it only see snow a few times a year and it’s only a couple inches. Temps range from 20-90 here depending on the season, but i wouldn’t call that extreme. I’m one of those **** retentive engineers (LOL) that takes meticulous care of his vehicles and it’s babied for the most part. If I want to punish something on the backroads or the track, that’s what the Cayman is for... If I abused the car or was rough on it, I would expect it, but it’s been nothing but babied and well maintained and I’ve been averaging 10-15k per TC. Only have 10k on my first set of replacement tires and that’s because of a puncture on a trip and I’m still on the original brake pads with quite a bit of life left on them if that speaks to my driving style for the Cayenne. Those TC’s are just junk. Either their fluid is still getting contaminated way too easy or the friction material on the plates isn’t engineered to the proper standards. They need a revised part, not a new vent tube and a fluid change every 10k. That’s just a band-aid on the real problem.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

Default TC#4 (Carl)

Carl,

i am in Central KY so similar weather.
Sounds like you take very good care of your vehicle.

Regarding your driving style, do ease onto throttle gently and very seldom accelerate rapidly?

Are you the main driver or does your wife drive it also?

I am thinking the harder the acceleration the better as this will lock up clutch quicker vs. being gentle and causing more clutch slippage.

For other failures it maybe due to contamination of fluid but I don’t this applies to your situation.

Comments anyone?

mike
Old 02-19-2019, 09:35 PM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike41
Carl,

i am in Central KY so similar weather.
Sounds like you take very good care of your vehicle.

Regarding your driving style, do ease onto throttle gently and very seldom accelerate rapidly?

Are you the main driver or does your wife drive it also?

I am thinking the harder the acceleration the better as this will lock up clutch quicker vs. being gentle and causing more clutch slippage.

For other failures it maybe due to contamination of fluid but I don’t this applies to your situation.

Comments anyone?

mike
I’m basically the only driver. Wife drives it rarely, since she like to be chauffeured around... I do maintain it very well and take care of it, but it’s still a Porsche, I wouldn’t say it doesn’t still see it’s fair share of acceleration. I don’t drive like grandma, but I also don’t flog it like a track car. Not too hard, not too soft... just right! Lol
Old 02-19-2019, 11:27 PM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlJ

I’m basically the only driver. Wife drives it rarely, since she like to be chauffeured around... I do maintain it very well and take care of it, but it’s still a Porsche, I wouldn’t say it doesn’t still see it’s fair share of acceleration. I don’t drive like grandma, but I also don’t flog it like a track car. Not too hard, not too soft... just right! Lol
My wife hasn't driven mine but likes for me to chauffeur her around. I tend to be heavy on acceleration but don't use the brakes much, still on the original rear pads at 50k miles. I did call the stealership today to schedule my 50k service, an Adblue heater recall and asked about replacing the TC fluid as preventive maintenance. They stated $450 over the phone which the DIYer in me is screaming WTF!! So I'm debating to let it ride to see if the TC fails in the next year before the warranty expires.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:54 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by PDubya958
My wife hasn't driven mine but likes for me to chauffeur her around. I tend to be heavy on acceleration but don't use the brakes much, still on the original rear pads at 50k miles. I did call the stealership today to schedule my 50k service, an Adblue heater recall and asked about replacing the TC fluid as preventive maintenance. They stated $450 over the phone which the DIYer in me is screaming WTF!! So I'm debating to let it ride to see if the TC fails in the next year before the warranty expires.
A Diesel has a totally different transfer case with no clutch - it's a torsen-C differential, not a multi-plate clutch which is what has issues with the Base/S/GTS/Turbo/TurboS models.
The following users liked this post:
tmcayn (11-18-2020)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:04 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarlJ

Don’t have the service records on me at the moment, but the failures were at approximately 11k, 28k, 38k and 51k. The car is 3 years old. Gets about 15-20k miles a year. Mostly commuting on the interstate to work and family trips. No trailer pulling. It’s been through an automated car wash only a handful of times. No off-roading. We do live in East Tennessee, so it is hilly, but it only see snow a few times a year and it’s only a couple inches. Temps range from 20-90 here depending on the season, but i wouldn’t call that extreme. I’m one of those **** retentive engineers (LOL) that takes meticulous care of his vehicles and it’s babied for the most part. If I want to punish something on the backroads or the track, that’s what the Cayman is for... If I abused the car or was rough on it, I would expect it, but it’s been nothing but babied and well maintained and I’ve been averaging 10-15k per TC. Only have 10k on my first set of replacement tires and that’s because of a puncture on a trip and I’m still on the original brake pads with quite a bit of life left on them if that speaks to my driving style for the Cayenne. Those TC’s are just junk. Either their fluid is still getting contaminated way too easy or the friction material on the plates isn’t engineered to the proper standards. They need a revised part, not a new vent tube and a fluid change every 10k. That’s just a band-aid on the real problem.
I think the oil just lasts at most 10K miles under its specific situation (low oil volume + high pressure/loads), so if it the vehicle is under warranty, Porsche just replaces the transfer case as their service protocol is not to change the fluid.

Stick an oil cooler circuit plus 1-2 more liters of fluid onto the transfer case and I bet ya' it would last forever! 850ml of fluid on an active multi-plate clutch with no fluid change prescribed till 160K miles doesn't look like it's working out so well!
Old 02-20-2019, 12:14 AM
PDubya958
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
A Diesel has a totally different transfer case with no clutch - it's a torsen-C differential, not a multi-plate clutch which is what has issues with the Base/S/GTS/Turbo/TurboS models.
Yes the CD is different but I had my TC replaced at 33k miles for same issues experienced by others. This is the first I've heard of the type I have, and a quick google search says its modified and renamed quattro for Audi and xdrive for BMW. Will def look into it more and asked the service tech on Monday.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

FYI. Picked up my CD from Porsche today where one of my tenants work as a SA. He told me that they have replaced at least 10 TCs this past month and they are not a big volume shop. It is a problem for sure.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:12 PM
wakame
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Southwest Missouri.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:15 PM
wakame
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It started to vibrates in October, now I can hear a "clunk" follow with "ticket, tick, tick" sound when the car shift.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

How does the Cayenne TC design compare to the Audi and VW and even Macan designs?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

VW Tuaregs have same issues AFAIK.

Macan and Audi Q5 are a completely different design.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:16 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Elberoth
VW Tuaregs have same issues AFAIK.

Macan and Audi Q5 are a completely different design.
A Touareg utilizes a Torsen-C mechanically locking 40/60 torque distributing transfer case like the diesel and Hybrids, not the troublesome 0-100% locking torque multi-plate clutch version like the one used in the 958 Base, S, GTS, Turbos.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Mike41
Rennlist Member

I guess it was too difficult to change the design with the 958.2 roll out but with the amount of failures you would think there would be a fix in place now to protect against customer dissatifisation and lack of trust.

And I would have thought they would change to the Audi design perhaps.

Quick Reply: Transfer case