Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 02:54 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you see the same behaviour when starting in hybrid mode and having the engine come on just after pulling off your drive? Or when starting in cold temps where the car decides it needs the ICE on from the get go?

Because I don't in those situations. The idle is much closer to 1500RPM. It's the difference between the two scenarios in my case that I find interesting.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, I don't get into idling just after pulling off your drive until the battery depletes to 20% line or I turn off the e-power mode when I get into freeways.

I will get back to you when I drive out tomorrow morning. I will carefully watch over RPMs.

Originally Posted by thescratt
Do you see the same behaviour when starting in hybrid mode and having the engine come on just after pulling off your drive? Or when starting in cold temps where the car decides it needs the ICE on from the get go?

Because I don't in those situations. The idle is much closer to 1500RPM. It's the difference between the two scenarios in my case that I find interesting.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM
mynextcar
Intermediate

This morning, I drove off in E-power mode. After driving about 2 miles on E-power mode, I was on freeway. I turned off E-power mode. This time, ICE was turned on with about 2500RPM. Then, immediately, RPM downed to about 2100 then again downed to 1500RPM with 8th gear engaged. The speed was around 60MPH.

Later, I drove in E-power mode. This time engine oil temperature was 102 deg F. When I turned off E-power mode, the engine was turned on with 1500 RPM with 8th gear engaged. There was no shift this time.

Originally Posted by mynextcar
For me, I don't get into idling just after pulling off your drive until the battery depletes to 20% line or I turn off the e-power mode when I get into freeways.

I will get back to you when I drive out tomorrow morning. I will carefully watch over RPMs.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Interesting & thanks! That sounds similar to my experience, except it feels like the high revs are on for longer. Although it is winter here now, and we're around 0 to -5 degrees C most of the time so it could just be taking longer to warm up. =)
Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 PM
LandShark
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger of a CPO 16' SEH to replace my wife's GL450. And I'm wondering is there anything we should pay attention to? And I just discovered there's a Porsche Connect app, seems useful on keeping an eye on charge, and pre-heat/cold the interior, etc. Does anyone use it? Good? Just a gimmick? And I assume it's available on all late Porsche, right?

Lastly, what exactly the parts and cost for those who retrofit the tow kit on the SEH? I'm fully planned to use the SEH to tow my 911 to the track that's farther from home. The SEH shouldn't have problem to do that right?

We used to own a 12' pre facelift Turbo, and very regret to swap it for the GL (well need more space back then). Now we are very excited to own a Cayenne again and excited to have our first hybrid car too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:01 PM
mightytaco
Instructor

Default 2015 vs 2016 S E-Hybrid

Hi All,

Is anyone aware of any changes between the 2015 SEH and the 2016 SEH? I've got an opportunity to purchase a decently optioned 2015 SEH, but saw the post above where someone remarked that there were some modifications made by Porsche between these two years, but I've been digging online and can't seem to find anything definitive.

Also, would any of you have any concerns with owning a higher-mileage version of these (say a 2015 with 75,000 kms)? My brother in law has a Toyota hybrid that he swears by, and Porsche has always been pretty good by me in terms of reliability (I even had a 996 that was trouble free and now a 997.1 TT that has been good as well (touch wood), both of which have been higher mileage.

Also, has anyone who has owned the regular Cayenne switched to the Cayenne SEH have any serious reservations about the steering? I've spent a bunch of saddle time in a Cayenne S, which I think is great, and only about 10-15 minutes in a Cayenne SEH, but can't tell a huge difference (and certainly not the "numb" feeling that many describe).

Many thanks,
MT
Old 11-26-2017, 05:10 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Do everything else a Cayenne can do

I like to do some light offroading. Is that any different in a E hybrid than any other Cayenne?
Old 12-05-2017, 02:49 PM
thescratt
Instructor

diver110.. They don't have the ability to lock the diffs, but other than that I drive one in Iceland and have done in country driving on what can only be described as mountainous tracks. The downhill mode is awesome, and they deal with it just as well as any other Cayenne I've owned.

mightytaco... I went from having a 2004 CTT for three years straight into a 2015 / 2016 SEH. Performance is about the same. They wallow a bit more than normal Cayenne's in Sport and Comfort. But if you have the Sport Chrono and Sport Plus setting they are like a go-kart. The "fly by wire" steering I personally like and I get enough feedback from the road. Getting used to regenerative braking is the thing that affects most people. But I'd take a hybrid 911 in a heart beat, and failing that I would upgrade to a Turbo Hybrid Cayenne when I next upgrade.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:20 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by thescratt
diver110.. They don't have the ability to lock the diffs, but other than that I drive one in Iceland and have done in country driving on what can only be described as mountainous tracks. The downhill mode is awesome, and they deal with it just as well as any other Cayenne I've owned.

mightytaco... I went from having a 2004 CTT for three years straight into a 2015 / 2016 SEH. Performance is about the same. They wallow a bit more than normal Cayenne's in Sport and Comfort. But if you have the Sport Chrono and Sport Plus setting they are like a go-kart. The "fly by wire" steering I personally like and I get enough feedback from the road. Getting used to regenerative braking is the thing that affects most people. But I'd take a hybrid 911 in a heart beat, and failing that I would upgrade to a Turbo Hybrid Cayenne when I next upgrade.
Thanks, thescratt. BTW, I was in Iceland last summer and loved it, though it was not the cheapest place I have ever been to.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:02 PM
thescratt
Instructor

Haha! It's a magical place. But you are correct about the prices... I could have quite a tasty 911 for the cost of a Cayenne here. :/
Old 12-10-2017, 02:34 AM
mightytaco
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, thescratt. I went for a test drive today as the vehicle was delayed being delivered to Porsche from previous owner. The dealership had been charging it on a full charge it was showing me a range of only 12 km (and it dropped to five 5km range really quickly). It was about 0 degrees (celsius), so not sure if that was a factor, but I have driven another Cayenne SEH and remember that one having a bit more pep. I actually found the steering pretty good, but will have to adjust to the brakes. I also thought that accelerating onto a highway seemed a bit slower than the other Cayenne SEH I drove, but I can't tell if that's just the lingering effects of me having been driving my 911 around for the last week (which is the opposite of the Cayenne SEH: the turbochargers love the cold air!).

I'm a bit new to the technology and a bit nervous about having a machine that I can't wrench on myself as much as I'd like to, but I guess that's what the CPO is for!

I'll sign up for Fuelly once (if?) I end up pulling the trigger. Thanks again for the feedback.

MT
Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 AM
mightytaco
Instructor

Sorry, forgot to mention that the one I'm looking at doesn't have the Sport Plus Mode, which is a bit of a shame.....
Old 12-20-2017, 07:11 AM
thescratt
Instructor

Originally Posted by mightytaco
Sorry, forgot to mention that the one I'm looking at doesn't have the Sport Plus Mode, which is a bit of a shame.....
As far as I know you can retro fit that. It's just suspension and engine settings. I seem to remember seeing the Sport Plus code and button for sale on Suncoast.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

Does the SEH even have a Sport+ mode?

I've not see Sport+ discounted on sale at Suncoast recently, at least not for the Cayenne.

It is correct that adding Sport+ is just a center console button panel change AND a trip to the dealer to program for it. No other engine or suspension tweaks involved. The button panel is custom, per the number of other options present. Having your VIN number makes it possible to determine the correct button options AND to update the Porsche database to reflect Sport+ being a programmed option (and thus activated). I've seen conflicting advice regarding the need for PIWIS programming or just adding the button.

Sport Chrono (which is part of factory-ordered Sport+, iirc) changes out the top dash clock or compass. If you have neither up there already then you'd also need to add the color-matched dash section for it. I believe you can have Sport+ button functionality without having the Chrono clock.

It's fair to say that Sport+ does not make an appreciable difference in driving performance in the Cayenne. It doesn't add power. It does change the idle, throttle response and shift patterns. But the default settings, or just regular Sport mode are already pretty darned lively. In the coupes, yeah, there's benefits... but in the Cayenne it's not as dramatic. My point is if you like everything about a vehicle otherwise, I wouldn't nix the deal for lack of Sport+.
The following users liked this post:
Onesunnybeach (11-29-2023)
Old 12-20-2017, 11:45 AM
thescratt
Instructor

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...SPORTMODE.html

I have Sport+ in mine, as well as the Sport Chrono package. I believe they are two separate things.

I disagree very strongly with your view on Sport Plus. I am fully aware it doesn't add any more power per. se., and is just a remap. But it is a significantly different driving experience in the hybrid from the Sport and Hybrid modes.
The following users liked this post:
Onesunnybeach (11-29-2023)

Quick Reply: The Cayenne S E-Hybrid Thread