Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
If Porsche wants to buy back our CDs, it will be interesting to see how they handle modifications/additions. Will we be given an allowance for having our CD wrapped, roof racks, etc.
Very doubtful.

If it's not quantified in the NADA (or other apprasing) guide, it doesn't exist. If you were pricing your vehicle now for private sale or trade, how would you value that modification?

And, by how would you value, I mean how would a prospective buyer value it? You can say you spent $1500 on a wrap and a savvy negotiator would fire back that he doesn't really want a wrap, so it's not worth anything to him or her.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:18 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 459 Posts

Looks like a fix is near...again.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...n=awdailydrive

Also sounds like the dealers may get some relief also for 1 yr/12 mos of unsalable inventory on their books and lots. AM sure quite a few has lost significant revenue because of this..maybe a few smaller VW dealership may have gone under. Wonder how this will play out with VW's bottom line and liquidity as a major auto brand in the Europe and Worldwide with its competitors? When this is finally over IF it ever is they will have lost a nice bit of $$$ won't they for dubious reasons.

http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diese...llable-diesels
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
At a Porsche dealer?
Yes.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:23 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhipE350
That is interesting. My sales manager said he can sell them, but he can't certify them. He was just itching for me to trade, so much so he let my me and my buddy take a Macan GTS to lunch and for a long test drive. To be fair though we have bought 6 Porsches from them between the two of us. They see dollar signs when we come in.
Because CDs have their warranties extended due to this issue already. You can pay to get a CPO checklist performed.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

It's not just VW, or diesel. This will have massive, industry-wide fallout:

http://www.reuters.com/article/mitsu...-idUSL3N1BE1DS
Old 09-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Not new news. Been posted here a few times. And unfortunately, that timeframe is judge ordered, not because of VW's success.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:53 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It's not just VW, or diesel. This will have massive, industry-wide fallout: http://www.reuters.com/article/mitsu...-idUSL3N1BE1DS
Sounds like a different issue, but does show that VAG is not the only cheater amidst a saintly group of choir girls. Also shows that CARB/EPA aren't the only government agencies to make up rules and then not properly test them...
Old 09-02-2016, 10:58 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skiahh
Very doubtful.

If it's not quantified in the NADA (or other apprasing) guide, it doesn't exist.
Yeap I would agree. They might even ding us if the mods don't strictly match a factory option and can't be easily removed (e.g. takes a single person no more than a minute or two). Thinks like custom paint/wraps, bumper swaps, etc..

I'm in that boat too since I put the TT's bumper on and have done a few other tweaks here and there.

If you were pricing your vehicle now for private sale or trade, how would you value that modification?

And, by how would you value, I mean how would a prospective buyer value it? You can say you spent $1500 on a wrap and a savvy negotiator would fire back that he doesn't really want a wrap, so it's not worth anything to him or her.
I did them for me and never expected any return on them (or even breaking even), though I didn't intend to sell it for a long time.

If the fix is so bad as to essentially force a buyback, then much like the depreciation issue I do have a bone to pick with them over the loss of what I've put into it since the "sale" isn't really voluntary.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:48 AM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

is this correct for Porsche dealers? I did not think it was
Yes Porsche dealers can sell used CDs, if they were owned by non-dealer.

Originally Posted by chsu74
It is the car registration date that determines if a CD is sellable. I looked at a '15 CD earlier this summer when shopping for one.
That's not the determining factor. It's previous ownership.

Originally Posted by Meinbeast
This.....

I just purchased my 2014 CD from a non Porsche dealer and cant tell you how many dealers I called about a preowned CD they had listed. None of them could sell them and only had them listed to get people to call and/or stop in. After that they were pushing the S E Hybrid. Wasting everyone's time....
For a while, Dealers thought they could sell their stopped-sale cars by putting miles on them as loaners, then registering them and selling them as "used" (preowned). Some even tried to sell them that way through other brand dealerships if they owned multiple brands in their group. PCNA put a stop to that. They CAN (could at one time, at least) sell lease returns that were owned by Porsche Finance.

Originally Posted by WhipE350
That is interesting. My sales manager said he can sell them, but he can't certify them. He was just itching for me to trade, so much so he let my me and my buddy take a Macan GTS to lunch and for a long test drive. To be fair though we have bought 6 Porsches from them between the two of us. They see dollar signs when we come in.
There is no need to Certify them, except for the extensive inspection, because they have 6 year, 125k mile warranties already. If you are interested, you could have the Dealership perform the inspection.

Again, there is a high demand for used Diesel CDs, at least at dealers who have made a market in Diesels. Some dealers are afraid of them because of the uncertainty - but they probably didn't like stocking diesels before the S*** hit the fan, either.

Even before Dieselgate, there were dealers who just would't stock diesels in their Euro dealerships - M-B, Range Rover, BMW, VW, Audi or other, maybe because they remember the 1980 5.7L Oldsmobile diesels.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:09 PM
Searcher356
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Sounds like a different issue, but does show that VAG is not the only cheater amidst a saintly group of choir girls. Also shows that CARB/EPA aren't the only government agencies to make up rules and then not properly test them...
Although all cars pass the EPA certification, AS THE EPA WROTE THEIR REGS, few or none have passed when driving under normal conditions. (See Dr. Stedman, Denver University, research over the decades) http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/...nalCode=achre4

The EPA / CARB just avoided the issue until now. They will have to find a better way to write regs and test, now that the cat is out of the bag.

There will be wide ramifications, worldwide, now that the Public is aware. And of course, now that CARB has new traction. The move toward new propulsion technologies will accelerate.

Will Dr. Porsche's 1899 hybrid technology be the leader? We shall see.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:34 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Searcher356
Yes Porsche dealers can sell used CDs, if they were owned by non-dealer.That's not the determining factor. It's previous ownership.
The '15 CD I was looking at was a dealership GM car. It is still for sale.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Searcher356
Although all cars pass the EPA certification, AS THE EPA WROTE THEIR REGS, few or none have passed when driving under normal conditions. (See Dr. Stedman, Denver University, research over the decades) http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/...nalCode=achre4
Yeap and that is still being lost on most.

There is a difference, however, between "teaching to the tests" while still honestly trying to improve the emissions and what VAG did.

VAG took the common knowledge that A) the tests weren't really valid and B) the results weren't vetted and used that to their advantage.

While I think it's hilarious that they had the ***** to so blatantly thumb their nose at these agencies, they still did wrong here.

The EPA / CARB just avoided the issue until now.
They didn't avoid it. It was all a wink and a nudge between them and the industry. Everyone that cared about this stuff new how pointless the tests were from the very beginning.

They will have to find a better way to write regs and test, now that the cat is out of the bag.
They'll write more regs, but I doubt their tests will change much if at all.

Note how all the publicity is about how evil VAG is for trying to kill us all with their dirty diesels, but you don't hear anything about how if CARB/EPA had been doing their job correctly to begin with this never could have happened (at least not in such a blatant manner).

They'll skate, collect a bunch of money from VAG, ruin VAG's reputation for an extended period of time, and go back to their imbalanced enforcement of their questionable policies.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:51 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Just got this email. Not really any content...

Dear Mr. ...,

We are writing to update you on the status of our efforts to ensure that your Porsche Cayenne Diesel vehicle is recertified just as soon as possible. No doubt you have read reports about the status conference which Federal District Judge Breyer held on August 25, to learn the status of efforts to re-certify the 3.0-liter engine which is used in a number of vehicles including your car. It was reported to the Court, as we have informed you, that intense efforts continue to accomplish this and that we believe these cars can be brought into full compliance in the near future.

Porsche is continuing to the best of our ability to cooperate fully with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the California Air Resources Board, and other government officials to answer all their questions and complete the necessary testing. Judge Breyer directed that Porsche submits its final recall plan by October 24, and reports back to him November 4, and we surely will do our part to honor his request.

In the meantime, your car remains fully lawful and safe to drive, and we trust that your extended Porsche limited warranty allows you to do so with confidence. We will continue keeping you informed of our efforts and we thank you for your loyalty to Porsche. We sincerely apologize to you for the fact that resolving this matter has taken longer than any of us had hoped, and for any other inconvenience you have experienced. We stand behind all our products and will make certain we give you the cars and services you expect and deserve from Porsche.

Very truly yours,

Klaus Zellmer
President and Chief Executive Officer
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:54 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

"oh, I am so sorry, so sorry. I am so sorry."
Old 09-02-2016, 03:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I really think that email is in response to posts on this forum, honestly. Maybe it's just the tinfoil hat I wore this morning, but I know that these types of forums are monitored by personnel from the manufacturers. The BMW and Volvo ones I was on certainly are.

Hi guys!

In any event, nothing that's not known by us nutjobs (me) who read the court transcript. I just hope my Halloween ends up with a treat and not a trick..

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne and VW emission issue