Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 05:23 PM
Gforce1108
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
Where do you get this and what is the model #
I searched and found I bought it on Amazon back in 2015? As bobbyp mentioned, it's the pk710 (OIL upside down). Really handy - once it's locked in you can't knock it over.
Amazon Amazon
You might be able to find it in other places for a better price.
Old 12-09-2023, 10:59 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad I found this thread.

Im a current Lexus owner (2017 LX570 and 2016 GX460) and am looking into shipping an SUV over to Greece (homeland) for summer use. I've always loved VW diesels and dig the movement to building these 958s into off road capable rigs.

Glad to see that a Diesel can be maintained by a DIYer like myself. Especially since its going to a small island in the mediterranean.

Im still debating buying a Land Cruiser Prado Diesel from over there rather than shipping a truck from here but at least if I buy from here I could run it through some basic maintenance and get a baseline rather than going in blind when/if I find something over there...

Will be following along!
Old 02-15-2024, 03:42 PM
daniel619
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

A couple of years in now, I am curious how the CD is running. Have you gotten to the point of pulling all the emissions junk off yet?
Old 04-20-2024, 03:16 AM
HeavyHanded
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel619
A couple of years in now, I am curious how the CD is running. Have you gotten to the point of pulling all the emissions junk off yet?
Same! I hope OP returns to the thread sometime soon and gives us the latest update on his CD journey.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:49 AM
Mtea
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

@Mmade992 @Kidrichief1 I’ve been following this thread for quite awhile and someone posted asking for an update. Second that. I’ve had my 2014 CD Platinum now for 10 years and I’m pushing against 140k miles. I did not do the VW emission fix. Everything under the hood is original; no work there other than maintenance. A few months ago I had my first serious service bill for replacing a wheel bearing at the dealer for around $3k. About tires and oil…I have bought all my tires for years at Costco. They always do a very nice job, free rotate and balance, free flat fix, and they are located everywhere! I’ve driven across the country many times and you can find yourself a LONG way from a Porsche dealer if you have tire problems. Trust me. I do my oil changes for about $70. Advance Auto has 5 quart Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 for around $35 usually and I find filters Mahle filters for around $14 on Amazon usually. Mobil 1 may not be the very best oil, but it is the OEM recommendation and my driving is always long distance so my 5k oil change interval is likely the equivalent of much fewer miles if it was driven normally. Finally, if anyone is looking for a CD, check Bring A Trailer. There have been probably 20 a month lately. Some really nice ones too.
The following users liked this post:
HeavyHanded (04-23-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 04:57 AM
Farmer Michael
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Great thread, very jealous of the garage!

One curiosity I have is in the servicing pictures is the air filter is a Mann C39 002 with the foam topping which is listed as "for dusty operating conditions". Am I the only one using the C39 219 which only has the paper part of the element?
Old 08-04-2024, 04:03 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel619
Originally Posted by HeavyHanded
Same! I hope OP returns to the thread sometime soon and gives us the latest update on his CD journey.
Originally Posted by Mtea
@Mmade992 @Kidrichief1 I’ve been following this thread for quite awhile and someone posted asking for an update. Second that. I’ve had my 2014 CD Platinum now for 10 years and I’m pushing against 140k miles. I did not do the VW emission fix. Everything under the hood is original; no work there other than maintenance. A few months ago I had my first serious service bill for replacing a wheel bearing at the dealer for around $3k. About tires and oil…I have bought all my tires for years at Costco. They always do a very nice job, free rotate and balance, free flat fix, and they are located everywhere! I’ve driven across the country many times and you can find yourself a LONG way from a Porsche dealer if you have tire problems. Trust me. I do my oil changes for about $70. Advance Auto has 5 quart Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 for around $35 usually and I find filters Mahle filters for around $14 on Amazon usually. Mobil 1 may not be the very best oil, but it is the OEM recommendation and my driving is always long distance so my 5k oil change interval is likely the equivalent of much fewer miles if it was driven normally. Finally, if anyone is looking for a CD, check Bring A Trailer. There have been probably 20 a month lately. Some really nice ones too.
Sorry guys! I’ve been lacking getting this thread content and I’m finally ready to give everyone some updates so you’ll be seeing plenty to catch everyone up!

Originally Posted by Farmer Michael
Great thread, very jealous of the garage!

One curiosity I have is in the servicing pictures is the air filter is a Mann C39 002 with the foam topping which is listed as "for dusty operating conditions". Am I the only one using the C39 219 which only has the paper part of the element?
I actually didn’t know that about the filters and have used both and seen no difference. I do drive on dirt roads in SC but not enough to count on a specific filter.

I’ve been really bad at keeping up on this thread and I apologize. I have been taking plenty of photos along the way of my normal month to month maintenance dealings so I’ll be flooding this thread today to get everyone up to date. As of today, my CD has 128,352 miles on it. Still running like a gem and looking like one with nothing major at all to report.

I’ve been busy like most of you and I took a trip last summer to FL for a Mecum auction weekend with my son. We always go as bidders and didn’t have any plans on purchasing another car but I fell in love with my childhood dream car and had to have it. 1986 944 turbo which was owned for over 30 years by its original owner. The next two owners didn’t do the car its service and so I decided to bid on it and what do you know, it was mine! I knew it needed work and once it was shipped home, I realized just how much work it needed. Instead of band aiding the car like the previous owners did, I decided to dive all in and take it apart and make it right again. It’s been a ten month project that’s finally over and boy what a fun project it turned out too be!

Here are a few pictures of the project and then I’ll get on with the Cayenne updates…..

Old 08-04-2024, 04:23 PM
Mmade992
Racer

The kid who had a helping hand approves!

27/6 turbo with a chip and a freshened up engine has this thing moving! 300hp to the wheels! Fun project that still needs some tweaks but that’s what the futures for. This is what’s been keeping me away from this forum.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mmade992:
HeavyHanded (08-06-2024), KBell (08-06-2024), max911 (08-04-2024), Porschetuner2005 (08-08-2024), SSDVC (08-05-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 05:19 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Ok, on with the updates of the Cayenne. Just filters, oil changes and tire rotations as needed. Gotta put in the photos of the work so it’s documented so here it goes…..

I had a check engine light pop up on startup and so I was able to clear it without another one coming on. This has been the only check engine code I’ve ever gotten in my ownership!

95k service

100k!!!

Time for a deep cleaning and a new battery!

105/110/115/120/125k services….

I got a DPF error code that went away on its own and I believe it was because I started and shut off the car a few times without it getting up to temp. No harm, no foul. I did get this error code when I was a few hundred miles from home and I was able to reset that without any further problems but the car was telling me what I already knew…. The DPF was a pain in the *** and at some point will become a problem!

The Cayenne is officially out of warranty so let’s get rid of the one thing that really limits these amazing power plants…..

DPF/EGR/Secondary cat delete is finally done!

It now has a little rumble on startup but other than that, it’s still a very quiet runner. Definitely will smoke if you’re hard on acceleration but boy does this thing wake up! I only wish I did this sooner! I just installed this so long term fuel testing numbers will be given in a few weeks. I also did another transfer case service and I’m bringing the car in for a transmission service next week along with a coilover install and camber kit for the rear. I’m dropping the car two inches and I have a few other things I’m going to be doing to the car soon.

Here’s some random runs I had over the past year or so. Good times!

Took both cars down to the PCA event at Amelia Island!

Just performed another detail of the car today and getting ready for another five day travel week. She still looks amazing after all these miles!

HeavyHanded (08-29-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 02:51 AM
HeavyHanded
AutoX

Wow what an amazing update! Thanks for coming back and sharing the details with us. I look forward to hearing about your experience now that the horrible EGR and DFP system have been removed.
Old 08-06-2024, 01:42 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Great update and great job on both the Cayenne and 944 Turbo! Love your garage as well.
Old 08-06-2024, 02:00 PM
_joncheung
AutoX

Off topic... Love your garage, is that an oversize 4 car garage? Also what cabinets are those? Are they Newage? And the mobile workbench? Newage too?
Old 08-08-2024, 08:48 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Originally Posted by HeavyHanded
Wow what an amazing update! Thanks for coming back and sharing the details with us. I look forward to hearing about your experience now that the horrible EGR and DFP system have been removed.
Thank you. The trip this week was a good one and after I stopped hitting the gas and started to see just what mpg numbers I could get, I was impressed!

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
Great update and great job on both the Cayenne and 944 Turbo! Love your garage as well.
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by _joncheung
Off topic... Love your garage, is that an oversize 4 car garage? Also what cabinets are those? Are they Newage? And the mobile workbench? Newage too?

Yes, it’s a 24x36 and it’ll fit 4 cars long but it’s pretty tight with the longer cars. Newage Pro cabinets all around and they also make those carts which I purchased two of them. Great cabinets but my advice is go with the wood top or make your own tops as the stainless is weak and scratches and dents way too easy!

I configured this setup and it’s 17 feet long. Plenty of space for the task at hand!

I got some good seat time these past four days and this car continues to impress me each and every modification I perform on it. The DPF/EGR delete is the one thing I wish I did years ago. Amazing top end power, next to no lag when taking off…. Impressive acceleration at all speeds, especially up on the highway runs. When I put my toe into it on the highway, I gotta pay close attention to my speed because now this thing just keeps climbing in speed. 80-90mph with very little effort and it’ll just keep climbing if you’re not paying attention.

If anyone is looking for some improved MPG’s, this is a must. I had a few runs this week with mostly highway runs and a few city runs and if I can stay off the gas, I’m getting 39-42 all day long at 65-80 mph. Super impressed and the weeks run with many times speeds hitting the 100 mph mark on passing on the highway and I still averaging 36mph overall. I’ll take it!

My four day run combined:

A couple runs on the highway with hills and today I drove the entire day in the rain with the tropical storm and I still managed to get 40.5mpg

Thiis was a short run the other morning before I got an overall averaged out to 39.6 Crazy!

The one downside to removing the DPF system……

After driving 150 miles in extreme rain, I’m getting new tires next week. Due to lack of time and traveling way too much for work, I’m going to be bringing the car into the dealer to get some work done that I’d normally perform myself. The BC Racing coilovers and Godspeed rear camber kit will be getting installed by them.

I need to get an alignment, transmission service and tire replacement. It’s gonna be an expensive bill but all these things are past due and I need them done now. I’ll give an update when I pick it up next weekend.

HeavyHanded (08-29-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 01:29 AM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 101 Posts

Do you have emissions inspections in your state? I was wondering if the vehicle would still pass inspection with the deletes. (I am in NYC so emission inspection required but nothing insane like California).
Old 08-09-2024, 06:56 AM
Mmade992
Racer

Originally Posted by bobbyp
Do you have emissions inspections in your state? I was wondering if the vehicle would still pass inspection with the deletes. (I am in NYC so emission inspection required but nothing insane like California).

Yes we do but when this car goes in for an inspection, the computer tells the tech this car is exempt for an emissions test due to the diesel gate so they don’t actually put a probe into the exhaust. I wouldn’t be taking this to the dealer for an inspection and I have a few people that would “look the other way” when it came to actually looking under the car.

I grew up on Long Island, NY and lived there till I was 28 and I can tell you, they will get you on this one so I wouldn’t even try it. The only way you could do it is to change the system back to stock each year for the test. It took me about 3-4 hrs labor of not knowing what I was doing so I’d get it done faster next time.

Quick Reply: My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….