Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023 | 12:12 PM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

This thread was a good resource when considering buying a CD last month. I'm 3K miles into my 2016 and now its oil change time. Thanks for the thread. I'm also in for garage updates now. Post some pictures of the process.
Old 06-15-2023 | 05:25 PM
BrewDude
Racer

Originally Posted by Super Stroby
This thread was a good resource when considering buying a CD last month. I'm 3K miles into my 2016 and now its oil change time. Thanks for the thread. I'm also in for garage updates now. Post some pictures of the process.
3k? Way too soon...should be a 5k interval. However...

Touareg's with the same engine were on a 10k interval. My last oil change was analyzed by Blackstone; they recommended I go to 7.5k and report back the results. If all looks good I'm going to change the oil service interval in the cluster and keep pressing on. Might just get to the 10k interval as I had on my Touareg TDI eventually.
Old 06-15-2023 | 08:56 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
I just got the iCarsoft. Curious to see what you've used it for, besides just resetting the service light? Looks like it has a lot of functionality.
I haven’t used it for anything other than the oil services at this time. If I can’t get the dealer to replace my battery under warranty, I’ll need to use it to code the new battery but I hope I only need it for the basic stuff.

Originally Posted by benznotmercedes
Very cool thread. I am from the Chapel Hill area originally. Wish I got to drive my own vehicle and get reimbursed but instead I put 40k on a Forester every year and only get to drive the 997 on weekends!
Its always great to have a fun car to drive on the weekends and the more I drive my Cayenne, the more I love driving it!

So glad to hear this thread gave you the reassurance on purchasing a fantastic car! I changed the oil early when I first got it and it’s a great idea to start fresh and then just follow it every 5K and you’ll be golden! The garage is 98% done and I’m super happy with the outcome. Still got more to do but I’m in my happy place!

The cars been pretty rock solid but I did have two issues that sent me to the dealer for two visits.

First was the coolant vent flaps stopped working and I noticed my oil temp was rising on a run on the highway. I pulled over and noticed the vents were closed so I reached in and manually opened them and they stayed open. Turned out, the flap assembly motor was dead. Dealer changed it and also found a power steering line leaking so that was a second visit to the dealer once the part was in stock.

That’s all been sorted out and the beauty is leaving the dealer not once but twice without paying a single dime for the work. I’m loving this warranty as it’s coming to a close at the end of this year!

The other issue I was having was tires….. Wobbly, gas sucking, out of round, unbalanced mess of tires! With not one, not two, but four visits to my tire shop, they finally listened to me and found I had balance issues on all tires and one tire was way out with a high spot causing me to get 27-28 mpg when I use to get 32-34. They finally got it right and replaced the one tire and what do you know, I’m smooth cruising and running 31-33mpg with 20 inch wheels. Finally!!

I always said, I’d do my own tires if I had the tools to do it with and lesson learned here….. No more Continental tires and the dealer will be the only place I get tires installed! I’ll pay the extra money as time is so much more important to me than the money saved!

Nothing other to report other than the regular services between miles. I performed my 85k service a couple weeks ago using my new lift and boy was it a beautiful thing! Oil change and air filter and I called it a day.

The cars currently got87k on the clock and should be hitting the 90k mark in a couple weeks. Headed down to Mecum auction in Kissimmee, FL the week of the forth so I’ll bring it down just in case I find something nice I need to tow home 😁 even though I promised the wife I won’t buy a thing!
The following 4 users liked this post by Mmade992:
KBell (06-17-2023), Needsdecaf (06-19-2023), SSDVC (06-22-2023), Super Stroby (06-18-2023)
Old 06-17-2023 | 12:15 PM
ara
Rennlist Member

This thread was a great read, thanks for all the info. And your new garage is awesome.
Old 06-17-2023 | 03:45 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Nice job and garage setup!
Old 06-17-2023 | 11:22 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Great thread, thanks for making the effort. Definitely helped me make the decision to get a 14 CD.
Garage is awesome, wish I had room for something like that.
Old 06-18-2023 | 03:40 AM
Super Stroby
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrewDude
3k? Way too soon...should be a 5k interval. However...

Touareg's with the same engine were on a 10k interval. My last oil change was analyzed by Blackstone; they recommended I go to 7.5k and report back the results. If all looks good I'm going to change the oil service interval in the cluster and keep pressing on. Might just get to the 10k interval as I had on my Touareg TDI eventually.

The main reason is I don't have the exact date/mileage of the last service and the maintenance light is already last past the 1k warning and yells at me at start up. I'm not too worried about it. The car was always serviced at the dealer however requests to get the full maintenance logs have gone unaddressed by them.

Mmade992 Garage looks fantastic!

Last edited by Super Stroby; 06-18-2023 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-18-2023 | 08:47 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those new rims were long over do😁! Remember now your couple of white GS’s on Club Lexus! You do drive a ton o miles!

Last edited by Chaos; 06-18-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-19-2023 | 04:16 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Never had a problem with getting the Conti's balanced perfectly. On set 4 now on our Diesel. Sounds like that shop needs to learn a thing or two.
Old 06-19-2023 | 09:52 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Originally Posted by ara
This thread was a great read, thanks for all the info. And your new garage is awesome.
Originally Posted by ShdwFx
Nice job and garage setup!
Originally Posted by bobbyp
Great thread, thanks for making the effort. Definitely helped me make the decision to get a 14 CD.
Garage is awesome, wish I had room for something like that.
The main reason is I don't have the exact date/mileage of the last service and the maintenance light is already last past the 1k warning and yells at me at start up. I'm not too worried about it. The car was always serviced at the dealer however requests to get the full maintenance logs have gone unaddressed by them.

Mmade992 Garage looks fantastic!

Thanks guys! The garage was a ten year planning project that I wish I had done about five years ago but I’m really happy I was finally able to make it a reality this year.

Originally Posted by Chaos
Those new rims were long over do😁! Remember now your couple of white GS’s on Club Lexus! You do drive a ton o miles!
Thats funny you remember me and you're correct about how many miles are under my belt and before Lexus was the forms on Acurazine where I put 240k on the clock of my six speed 3G TL!

I've moved on from Lexus but we will always have one In the family now that my son has my old car. When he's not driving it and running his other car, he gets the top spot on the lift.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Never had a problem with getting the Conti's balanced perfectly. On set 4 now on our Diesel. Sounds like that shop needs to learn a thing or two.
The last time I bought some DWS tires a while back I had some high spots in the tires. They were close to failing and so I thought it was a bad set of tires but after reading up on these, I've found some other unhappy owners. I do agree with you, the employees at that shop just added weights instead of actually taking all the weights off and starting from scratch like the shop manager finally did on the last visit.

On another note, I took my wife's ST to the gym this morning and when I switched it into sport mode the transmission wouldn't get out of 3rd gear and this error came up. I'm glad I have a warranty in this car for another 18 months as this car has had some issues. A clean shut off and startup erased it but it was a scary error!

I think it's possible the battery was low as it just doesn't get driven that often but it's due for it's annual service visit next month so we will see.

I'm glad my diesel is a good old reliable platform.... Simple!

Last edited by Mmade992; 06-19-2023 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-21-2023 | 12:24 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Where did you get the black diesel emblems? Are they glossy or matte black?

The Cayenne looks really good with them!
Old 06-21-2023 | 10:04 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Aliexpress cheap but they worked out pretty good so far and they are glossy black. I believe they were 20 bucks shipped.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...d=53poUVgu1wmj
Old 06-22-2023 | 11:20 AM
Gforce1108
Advanced

You need one of these!

It fits all my VWs (except beetle due to cowl), mercedes and audis as well as the Cayenne diesel.
Old 06-22-2023 | 12:56 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Where do you get this and what is the model #
Old 06-22-2023 | 01:17 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
Where do you get this and what is the model #
Just google "pk710 oil filling tool" and you'll find several links to this tool as well as tools that are pretty much the same from other manufacturers.

Quick Reply: My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….