Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2023 | 10:19 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Thats my problem EXACTLY except mine happens all the time regardless of temp. After a full week at the dealer, they replaced both struts and the latch and they said the car was fixed….. My son dropped off my wife’s Panamera for some warranty exhaust work, he took it to school so I didn’t test it till the next day. Another big FAIL when closing the tailgate as what you described is exactly what happens. At this point I don’t know if I should laugh or cry at the situation but these week long stints at the dealer has got to stop for a failed attempt at fixing it. I’m not sure what’s next but the dealer is loosing my respect each and every visit. It’s sad since at the current moment I own three Porsches that are all under warranty. Im a patient man but going in for a fourth visit for the same issue is testing my patients. I want to believe they should be able to fix this especially since you have the same issue and the amount of Cayennes they’ve sold over the years. Time will tell.
Yeah, I just gave up on ours since it's so intermittent as to not be so bothersome. Our dealer replaced everything...couldn't fix it.
The following users liked this post:
Mmade992 (03-13-2023)
Old 03-13-2023 | 05:10 PM
Sam_M
Intermediate

I think the car you ran was probably in need of some work. The turbo definitely has a delay if it’s stock without a tune….Totally different car!

I’d suggest you drive another one but this also isn’t a fast suv. I had a 2016 Cayenne Turbo that was fast, fun, dialed in with all the goodies (pdcc, air, 21inch tires 153k sticker) and all that power up top…. This diesel isn’t that but it does everything I ask of it day in and day out without killing me in the wallet.

I do miss the turbo but I wouldn’t give up my CD for one.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
It's a diesel. What you described is typical operation. No, it doesn't sound inspiring at all. It's got a racket for an exhaust which passes through a cat and a particulate filter. You hear no exhaust noise, only diesel engine noise. This engine is meant for effortless torque and high fuel economy. As you noted, you got good acceleration. Certainly your first turbo experience and diesel experience for sure.

A GTS will be MUCH different. Much louder, more exciting. Power band will be much higher in the rev range. Will have less turbo lag than the diesel. But will suffer fuel economy
Thank you both for your replies. I feel like I didn't have enough time to find out about all the aspects of this power train.
What do you think about the pinging noise? Is it normal? it was as if a gas engine is running on low octane gas. This happened at moderate to heavy acceleration.
Thanks.
Old 03-13-2023 | 06:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam_M
Thank you both for your replies. I feel like I didn't have enough time to find out about all the aspects of this power train.
What do you think about the pinging noise? Is it normal? it was as if a gas engine is running on low octane gas. This happened at moderate to heavy acceleration.
Thanks.
I mean, it's really hard to know. Have you ever driven a diesel before? They are noisy. Pinging in a gas engine is caused by pre-detonation, i.e. the intake charge igniting before it's lit off by the spark plug. Octane rating is literally a rating of fuel's resistance to pre-detonation. Pre-detonation happens because the compression of the intake charge builds up heat as it's compressed. That heat gets to a point where the fuel ignites. It's also called self-ignition

Diesel engines literally run on self ignition. This is why they don't have spark plugs. They compress the intake charge until it goes boom. Diesels have a compression ratio much higher than a gas engine, it's ONE of the reasons they are more efficient. The Cayenne diesel has a compression ratio of 16.8:1, which is 1.5 to 2x a turbo gas engine. So you're hearing constant self-ignition. I'm speaking in broad terms here so any mechanics, please don't get all geeky on me.

So all of that is to say, the diesel will have a good bit more noise and vibration than a gas engine. I'd suggest searching some YouTube videos of Diesel Cayennes, Touaregs, Q7's or Q5's with this engine to hear how they sound.
Sam_M (03-14-2023)
Old 03-13-2023 | 09:46 PM
Mtea
Instructor

@Needsdecaf you get a non-geeky thumbs up from me for your explanation. That said, the modern diesels are much quieter than older ones. I’d also add some of that extra power is due to diesel fuel having a higher power density than gasoline. Also, that high compression needs a stronger engine structure to contain it leading to diesel engines being heavier than gas engines.
Sam_M (03-14-2023)
Old 04-04-2023 | 09:16 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Hit the 80,000 mile mark about two weeks ago. Another oil change and diesel additive and I was back on the road for another 5K miles. Of course I was in Mississippi when the blue def light came on so another road fill up of def fluid before my trek home to do the oil change.

Some fun pics of the trips between oil changes.

Time for some service…

A much needed wash from my two work weeks away in Mississippi.

I love the new wheels and I am glad I customized them to be a little different. What’s surprising is how much these wheels have affected my fuel economy. I went from 33-35 to now getting 27-30. The wheels seem to be within the same weight of the 18s but the 20mm in width has a lot more drag creating the dip? I was wondering if anyone else switched to an OEM 20 inch wheel from 18s have seen the same consumption differences? I even had the tires checked out to make sure I didn’t have a bad tire creating more drag. They checked out of balance slightly but no major high spots in any of the tires. I’m at a loss!

By the end of the month my Cayenne as well as my other Porsches will have a new garage to call home! Our second garage is nearing completion and I can’t wait to have my lift back!

Its patiently waiting outside…..

All is still great with this car and it always gets me home safely mile after mile. The dealer has yet to fix the tailgate closing issue. All parts have been replaced and it still errors out more than it actually closes. It’s starting to drive me nuts that it hasn’t been able to fix it after three visits to the dealer. At this point, I told them I need the car and we can figure this out at a later date. I hope the fourth times a charm!

Take care!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mmade992:
KBell (04-12-2023), Needsdecaf (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023 | 12:49 AM
ohsnapitsed
7th Gear

Nice update and garage is looking good!

Any long term feelings about the head unit? I'm thinking of picking up the same for my Cayenne Diesel. Anything that's missing? Is it lacking any features from factory unit? I've seen mixed reviews on doing a full swap, but even more mixed reviews on the add on boxes some folks are doing to add CarPlay. So any long term feedback would be much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2023 | 06:20 AM
Mmade992
Racer

It’s an overall update from the original but it definitely has its issues. The Bluetooth is a joke as far as clarity on the mic so I gave up and I use another ear piece. No Biggy on that one for me but that’s usually a deal breaker for most. The radio sounds better but it has some noise in the system from when certain electronics are on in the car like the headlights. I’m going to add noise filters next time I pull it out to see if that helps. I went to the dealer and had the tpms programmed and when I got it back the steering wheel volume and the parking sensor indicator screen stopped working on it. I’m sure it has something to do with frequency but I haven’t had the time to really sit down and figure it out.

Overall for the money I think it’s great but you get what you pay for and I only wish I had more availability for the Cayenne but it’s a limited market so I chose this one. Using it for CarPlay and as a stereo is fantastic and that’s why I haven’t taken it out of the car and put the antiquated one back in.

Old 04-05-2023 | 09:54 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

It’s an overall update from the original but it definitely has its issues. The Bluetooth is a joke as far as clarity on the mic so I gave up and I use another ear piece. No Biggy on that one for me but that’s usually a deal breaker for most. The radio sounds better but it has some noise in the system from when certain electronics are on in the car like the headlights. I’m going to add noise filters next time I pull it out to see if that helps. I went to the dealer and had the tpms programmed and when I got it back the steering wheel volume and the parking sensor indicator screen stopped working on it. I’m sure it has something to do with frequency but I haven’t had the time to really sit down and figure it out.

Overall for the money I think it’s great but you get what you pay for and I only wish I had more availability for the Cayenne but it’s a limited market so I chose this one. Using it for CarPlay and as a stereo is fantastic and that’s why I haven’t taken it out of the car and put the antiquated one back in.
Think I will go for Mr. 12v setup rather than a full aftermarket system. Just really want car play on the screen, don't need much else. Thanks for the review!
Old 04-09-2023 | 06:05 AM
f35stovl
3rd Gear

Hello there! Great to be able to read this as a prospective buyer...I'm coming back to the US from the Middle East, where I drive a J150 Land Cruiser Prado (forbidden fruit in the US) and am looking to get something that will serve as my daily driver/light off-roader/bike carrier for the next 5 or so years as I transition out of the military and go to grad school. I actually worked at a Porsche dealership in undergrad, and remember driving a CD back in 2015 for about 40 miles around Atlanta one day...that drive still sticks in my head as one of the most impressive drives (from such an innocuous vehicle) I've ever done. Having been stationed in Camp Lejeune, I used to drive about 250-300 miles a week, and I always wanted something that would crush miles (even more so when I'd do the drive from Jacksonville, NC to Knoxville to see my mom for 4 day weekends)--I did have an E350 Bluetec for a short stint and while it proved to me that diesels *could have been the future* (37 MPG on a work trip from Camp Lejeune to Stennis Space Center, twice!), it also reminded me how absurdly expensive they can be 1) to maintain and 2) to fix. A couple of questions for you if you'll humor me:

1. Doing the normal maintenance wouldn't be a problem for me (will need to get some specialized tools and an OBD reader), but I curious: what does an average oil/filter change cost you?
2. Are there any options that you would say are a must-have for you? I'm looking to at least get PDLS, the factory tow package (2" receiver for my hitch bike rack), and the Bose upgraded sound system; ventilated seats would be great to have as well.
3. Is there a mileage ceiling after which you'd be uncomfortable buying one of these from someone else?
4. EGR delete...what are you looking to get out of this? You mentioned that it's really affecting the performance of the engine, but I'm curious what about the EGR is affecting the performance aside from the obvious diversion of power at set-intervals to burn off particulates. Additionally I saw you refer to how it might help reduce soot build up in the engine...what's the mechanism here, freer-flow of exhaust gases?
5. Your mention of doing a coil-over swap has me intrigued...have you got your eye on a specific set? I assume this would be to increase on-road handling...do you find the vehicle too floaty and lacking composure around high-speed corners or?

Following up on your mention of the fuel economy losses with your wheel swap...I suspect the larger tires, even at the same width, actually have increased surface area at the same pressure, and perhaps your tire change brought a different rubber compound with a higher coefficient of kinetic friction. Additionally, it seems unlikely that the 20s actually weighed less than the 18s, unless one was forged and the other was cast (this very well could be the case though)..wonder if you may have increased your sprung mass. Have you continued to see consistently lower returns on fuel economy--an almost 10% drop seems pretty intense!

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-10-2023 | 07:42 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Answers in order:

1. I buy the oil in bulk from FCP Euro to cover at least two oil changes so oil, filter, and oil crush washer with drain plug costs me $115.00 shipped to my door per oil change. The scanner tool can be had for 150 bucks but cheaper ones are available.

2. Mine has the 14 way seats with air and heat, BSM and tow hitch but I’d love Bose, keyless entry and air ride but it sure keeps the cost down long term not having the ladder. Air ride is almost impossible to find in the states and the older the platform gets, the more money you’ll pay for repairs.

3. You’re asking a guy who has driven his past cars over 300,000 miles and handed the keys over to the next owner with not a single thing needed to be fixed…..In other-words, it’s all about the maintenance from the previous owner/owners! I’d buy any high mileage car from anyone who shows me the history on the scheduled maintenance.

4. I’ve been told by diesel folks that the EGR system kills the engine and if it can be deleted, delete it and move on for reasons of issues of the complex system long term and it’s also creating issues on the engine regarding carbon. I’m not a diesel tech but the guys I grew up with who live by Diesel engines tells me good info. I haven’t listened yet as I’m still under the warranty till November but I’ll be deleting it to gain more power and economy along with one less thing to have to worry about long term.

5. I’ve had BC Racing coilovers in my Lexus GS350 and put more than 200,000 trouble free miles on them and it lowered the car along with giving me a comfortable ride with handling. The current platform is made by Porsche so of course it handles very well for its size but lowering it 2-3 inches will really make it look great and handle even better….. Win-Win! Lowering an SUV isn’t for everyone but I love driving cars and I’m looking forward to driving a lowered car that I don’t have to worry about bottoming out on roads!

The fuel issue has always been on my mind and I’ve been having pulling issues since I had the tires installed. After not one, not two, but THREE trips to the tire shop, they finally said my road force is high on my left front tire. Makes sense since it’s pulling to the right. 25 is a failing tire and that tire registered at 47!!! What a waste of time but I’ll get the tire installed on Saturday and I should be at my 32-34 mpg in no time. You won’t get good gas mileage with a square tire!

I liked your detailed post and I hope you get one of these CD machines soon and enjoy it as much as I do!
The following 3 users liked this post by Mmade992:
f35stovl (04-11-2023), KBell (04-10-2023), sayyonee19 (05-05-2023)
Old 04-11-2023 | 02:51 PM
Kidrichief1
2nd Gear

Hello Mmade992, will try to post again! I was thanking you for your excellent information and willingness to spend the time to share..great work.

I am first time Cayenne owner (3 weeks) and so far love the rig. I am learning a lot quickly. I have hopefully a couple of quick questions:

1. I read you needed to get a different garage jack for the Cayenne. Which one did you pick or are you holding out for your new proper lifts in the new garage? I was looking at the Quick Jack 7000 but kind of like the scissor style.

2. Do you have handy the PN and where you bought the dipstick? I couldn't find it on FCP Euro?

3. I also have the dreaded "fall on your face leaving an intersection" phenomena and found it interesting to be a TCU tune and not a throttle response or lag type root cause. I like what you shared about the TCU and Stage 2. I have some oil leaks that need addressed that I believe should be under the diesel gate warranty but I don't want to mess that up by brining to the dealer with at least the TCU tune. I agree will wait for ECU tune until after expiration. Is there any risk with have the TCU and diesel gate warranty? Can I just de-tune with the Tunezilla to pre-flash before bringing in etc?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-12-2023 | 07:33 AM
Mmade992
Racer

In order…

1. I sold my Bendpack scissor lift because it wasn’t long enough to accommodate the jack points on the car. I literally just purchased a HD-9 Bendpack 4 post lift that will be installed in my additional garage once it’s completed at the end of this month. Until then, I’ve been able to jack up one corner to get under to perform my maintenance. The 7000 might work since they’re independent and stay under each side but do your homework by asking the manufacturer.

2. Look under the maintenance DIY section on here regarding the oil change post and that’s were I located that part number. It’s been a while since I bought it so I don’t have a PN.

3. Get the tune if you want that hesitation gone. It’s the only way I know you can fully eliminate it and it’s a life saver when you need to get out of someone’s way. I am not worried about the warranty regarding these tunes. I am honest with my dealer and so I’m not going to take the time to put it on and off each visit. You can do that with the ecu tune but not the tcu tune. Honesty is the best policy and if they want to dig and find out if you had a tune, they can and they will. If I had to go back to stock, I’d sell this car and move on…. That’s how good these tunes change the way this car runs!

Oil leak is a serious thing on these and if it’s bad you’ll need an engine out reseal and yes that’s totally covered on the warranty so don’t wait…..Unless you want the 8-10k repair bill.

Enjoy your new car!

Old 04-12-2023 | 09:47 AM
benznotmercedes
Rennlist Member

Very cool thread. I am from the Chapel Hill area originally. Wish I got to drive my own vehicle and get reimbursed but instead I put 40k on a Forester every year and only get to drive the 997 on weekends!
Old 04-12-2023 | 12:25 PM
Kidrichief1
2nd Gear

Thank you very much for the quick reply for each question, much appreciated. I will get to know the other threads soon, particularly the DIY section, to leverage already the good work everyone has posted.

Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2023 | 01:24 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Hit the 80,000 mile mark about two weeks ago. Another oil change and diesel additive and I was back on the road for another 5K miles. Of course I was in Mississippi when the blue def light came on so another road fill up of def fluid before my trek home to do the oil change.

Some fun pics of the trips between oil changes.

!
I just got the iCarsoft. Curious to see what you've used it for, besides just resetting the service light? Looks like it has a lot of functionality.

Quick Reply: My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….