Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 11:30 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

What a nice clean garage!

One question: On my other cars I have always filled the oil filter before putting it in, I noticed you filled the oil filter lines what about the filter itself, any recommendations ?
Old 01-10-2023, 06:53 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by cwc1jz
This looks awesome. I know you mentioned the install was very easy; was it essentially plug n' play with the provided harnesses or did you have to splice any wires?

Really makes me want to get a unit for my own rig... Thanks for posting!
No splicing of wires and it’s all plug and play on my setup but I have the base setup so it’s not the same as the Bose with fiber optics. I didn’t plug up two of the three antennas as I was told they were for the gps and satellite radio.

Here’s a picture of the two antennas that I wrapped tight behind the radio to keep the dash sounding tight.

Originally Posted by chakka
Clearly you’re either traveling in your CD or doing something to it! Can’t sit still, huh?
I’m a 47 year old guy who’s got plenty to do! Keeps me young and active!

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
What a nice clean garage!

One question: On my other cars I have always filled the oil filter before putting it in, I noticed you filled the oil filter lines what about the filter itself, any recommendations ?
Thanks. I fill the lines up and then once that’s full I install the filter and add a little more oil. Then I close it up and let the engine do the rest. The idea is just to try your best to get oil into what ever lines you can before the first crank.

The following users liked this post:
cwc1jz (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 07:10 PM
Mmade992
Racer

The Tunezilla TCU tune finally came in and I was able to install it last week and get some seat time with it.

With the stage 2 tune and this TCU tune, the diesel is truly a pleasure to drive. Amazing torque at all speeds and the responsiveness is now Porsche like with shifts that are fast and the car wants to pull hard all the time.

The tune was fairly easy but it required their tune tool along with a written file for my car. I downloaded the file to my laptop and sent it off to them. I got the tune back 24 hrs later and I decided to install the tune in my hotel parking lot last Friday. Scary and exciting all at the same time! Plenty of fun error codes while it was being uploaded

I got a nice warm day last week and I finally got to see what the stage-2 tune alone would do for my mpg.

I wasn’t light on the pedal by any means and I was getting a crazy 36.3 mpg after my short trip. This was the day before the TCU tune was installed. I’m sure I’ll get the same mpg on the highway but it definitely shifts later in the city running.

That’s all for now. I’m still waiting for the dealer to call me regarding the parts to fix the tailgate. 😒
Old 01-10-2023, 09:26 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 226 Likes on 146 Posts

Wow this is a great thread.
I got a 2016 with a really high spec. Has a 130,000 miles.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the car.
Old 01-11-2023, 05:32 AM
Bcscd
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem with the diesel is everyone that has them has been leaving comments about how truly awesome they are. Now it’s hard to find one with low miles at a decent price. I have a 2013 CD with pano, premium plus, LCA, premium seats w/cooling, PDLC, keyless entry and go, black piano int trim, Bose, and probably more with close to 200,000 that was purchased with 70k or so for less than $30k from a Porsche dealer. I too do about a thousand miles a week. I’m in the northeast so oil changes are basically free since I get the parts from FCP and the oil falls under their lifetime warranty (crazy but true) and I can drop off the used oil. I cut the bottom off a VW bottle for a DEF funnel and use DEF from a box. I do have some oil leaks and the timing chain tensioner loses a bit of pressure so occasionally I’ll get a cold start sloppy timing chain clatter for a second or two. Probably could have had them done during dieselgate period but was clueless as to what the good dealers have been able to get covered. On one oil change I did upset the seal between the filter housing and engine block and made a mess on startup. I replaced the complete housing assembly but it was probably just a $20 silicone seal. NOx sensor was done under warranty and that’s it. I’ve hit mid 300k miles on a 95 Dodge Ram diesel and a 2002 GMC Envoy and want to see I can go further on this one - we’ll see.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:47 AM
Visualistics
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmade992
No splicing of wires and it’s all plug and play on my setup but I have the base setup so it’s not the same as the Bose with fiber optics. I didn’t plug up two of the three antennas as I was told they were for the gps and satellite radio.

Here’s a picture of the two antennas that I wrapped tight behind the radio to keep the dash sounding tight.
I installed the same head unit (branded differently) a month or so ago and I love it. Do you know which antenna wire is which? I hooked up one randomly when I did it because I couldn’t find anywhere that labeled them, so I don’t even know what the one I have plugged in does…
Old 01-14-2023, 11:00 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Great thread and great looking Cayenne diesel! I ran a 958.1-gen Touareg TDI for 238k miles and loved it.

What are the carpeted boards in the garage? Used to raise the car for oil changes, or something else?
Old 01-16-2023, 08:35 AM
fnzen
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread!
Just purchased my wife’s dream car!
2013 Cayenne diesel Black/Black premium package panoramic roof!
116k miles with a CPO ! 18.5k paid a little more having the comfort with the cpo

Really interested in the modifications that you have done!

Last edited by fnzen; 01-16-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2023, 09:29 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Wow this is a great thread.
I got a 2016 with a really high spec. Has a 130,000 miles.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the car.
Thanks. These cars with proper maintenance will go forever!

Originally Posted by Bcscd
The only problem with the diesel is everyone that has them has been leaving comments about how truly awesome they are. Now it’s hard to find one with low miles at a decent price. I have a 2013 CD with pano, premium plus, LCA, premium seats w/cooling, PDLC, keyless entry and go, black piano int trim, Bose, and probably more with close to 200,000 that was purchased with 70k or so for less than $30k from a Porsche dealer. I too do about a thousand miles a week. I’m in the northeast so oil changes are basically free since I get the parts from FCP and the oil falls under their lifetime warranty (crazy but true) and I can drop off the used oil. I cut the bottom off a VW bottle for a DEF funnel and use DEF from a box. I do have some oil leaks and the timing chain tensioner loses a bit of pressure so occasionally I’ll get a cold start sloppy timing chain clatter for a second or two. Probably could have had them done during dieselgate period but was clueless as to what the good dealers have been able to get covered. On one oil change I did upset the seal between the filter housing and engine block and made a mess on startup. I replaced the complete housing assembly but it was probably just a $20 silicone seal. NOx sensor was done under warranty and that’s it. I’ve hit mid 300k miles on a 95 Dodge Ram diesel and a 2002 GMC Envoy and want to see I can go further on this one - we’ll see.
Hello fellow road warrior! FCP euro is where I order all of my aftermarket parts including the oil and that’s very interesting about the free oil changes. Very smart and you gotta love how they stand behind their slogan. Enjoy the miles!

Originally Posted by Visualistics
I installed the same head unit (branded differently) a month or so ago and I love it. Do you know which antenna wire is which? I hooked up one randomly when I did it because I couldn’t find anywhere that labeled them, so I don’t even know what the one I have plugged in does…
I have installed at least 20-30 head units in my past and I’ve never gotten one without a single wire diagram or coding of colors. This was a head scratcher for sure but I guessed on the color antenna and I got FM. It’s what we get when we order a Head unit from China. The more I use this radio, the more I like it. It’s got it’s issues…..the mic is awful and Bluetooth is spotty but it keeps the car current and I can’t wait to install the amps, speakers and sub to make this install complete.

Originally Posted by chassis
Great thread and great looking Cayenne diesel! I ran a 958.1-gen Touareg TDI for 238k miles and loved it.

What are the carpeted boards in the garage? Used to raise the car for oil changes, or something else?

Thank you! Those Touareg’s are great and the guys who own them, love them.

Good eye! Close but I made these ramps to allow my low profile cars to go over the scissor lift along with lights, and a wall mount to keep all the pads at one location.

My 22 year old son working hard on his 2004 G35 that has been in the family since day 1. It’s in mint shape currently and he’s had some fun modding it out along the way.

I have since sold the lift as it was a little to small to lift my Cayenne and I’ve also finalized plans on my second garage going in my backyard this year. It’s a 36x24 with 10 foot walls so I’m adding one or two 4 post lifts once it’s built this year. Can’t wait!

Originally Posted by fnzen
Great thread!
116k miles with a CPO ! 18.5k paid a little more having the comfort with the cpo

Congratulations on the recent purchase and it sounds like you got it at a great price. Do the tune mod!

The following users liked this post:
KBell (01-31-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 09:55 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by fnzen
Great thread!

Are you kidding me? You paid $18.5k for a 2013 with 116k miles? Damn the market has REALLY softened. Where was this?
Old 01-17-2023, 10:47 AM
fnzen
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Are you kidding me? You paid $18.5k for a 2013 with 116k miles? Damn the market has REALLY softened. Where was this?
@Needsdecaf dont want to hijack this awesome mod thread , see my reply in “18 diesels “ for sell thread.
PS i think i stole it and definitely drove it like i stole home! Man these are driving machines!
The following 2 users liked this post by fnzen:
Mmade992 (01-17-2023), Needsdecaf (01-17-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 06:56 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 64 Posts

Do you have a link for where you sourced the new headunit? Great thread, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-04-2023, 05:33 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Originally Posted by PJP13
Do you have a link for where you sourced the new headunit? Great thread, thanks for sharing!

Here you go:

https://www.erisin.com/products/eris...enne-2010-2017

Like anything aftermarket, this unit has its pros and cons. Major con is the hands free mic as it doesn’t work with the existing car mic. I use a hands free device for this workaround as the mic on this unit is weak in signal.

The pros to me are far better than the cons and it’s a great unit for my needs day in and day out. Now that I have the resolution and audio apps setup, it’s getting better and better by the day.

Old 02-04-2023, 05:54 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Nothing new these days as I had a good two weeks off the road for the holidays so the miles aren’t being piled on this month. I’ll be at 75k in about two weeks.

One thing I am noticing is the price of diesel is finally starting to come down a bit. You have to look for it but I was able to get two fill ups in two different states under four bucks!

I also worked with Tunezilla on a custom TCU tune for my driving needs and they delivered a special tune with exactly what I was looking for.

Normal mode is nice and efficient and shifts into eight gear @56mph and doesn’t downshift aggressively anymore.

Sport mode changes all of that and makes this power plant come alive and holds the gears exactly how it should with the aggressive shifts I’m after. It’s truly is the best of both worlds!

I drove the Cayenne to Nashville, TN last week and then down to Atlanta and encountered just enough winter weather to be pretty while making a mess of the Cayenne. This car is so planted in bad weather and I love it more and more every time bad weather arrives!

As soon as I got home on Friday, I performed a good undercarriage wash and cleaning on the car. Friends don’t let friends drive salty Cayennes!

The DEF light came on after 8,200 miles from the last fill up. I added a little bit more as I’m seriously considering deleting the filter and EGR sooner than later. The more I read about this setup, the more I’m realizing how this is hurting these engines. The end is near for this setup!

Hopefully this is the last time I see this…..

The cars still rock solid and I’ll report back after the 75k service in a couple weeks.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:01 PM
reneeweiss
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Here in the bay area I just payed $5.69 for diesel.

Quick Reply: My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….