Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 06:40 PM
ohsnapitsed
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a long time Land Cruiser guy, this thread makes me so happy. Looks like the meticulous care that owners document over on Ih8mud. Cheers to many years with your '16! I'm on the hunt for one and hope to join you soon!

Last edited by ohsnapitsed; 02-07-2023 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GTCharlie (02-07-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:08 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mmade992
Here you go:

https://www.erisin.com/products/eris...enne-2010-2017

Like anything aftermarket, this unit has its pros and cons. Major con is the hands free mic as it doesn’t work with the existing car mic. I use a hands free device for this workaround as the mic on this unit is weak in signal.

The pros to me are far better than the cons and it’s a great unit for my needs day in and day out. Now that I have the resolution and audio apps setup, it’s getting better and better by the day.
Thanks for that. I am going to research it... I have the factory Bose and was considering adding a sub, this unit with their fiber optic module should handle all that...
Much Appreciated.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,619 Posts

How do you like the iCar soft?
Old 02-11-2023, 08:19 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Received 261 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by reneeweiss
Here in the bay area I just payed $5.69 for diesel.
I feel bad for you guys out west paying those outrageous prices! One of the many reasons I moved from NY to NC was the cost of living and that certainly included the lower gas taxes!

Originally Posted by ohsnapitsed
As a long time Land Cruiser guy, this thread makes me so happy. Looks like the meticulous care that owners document over on Ih8mud. Cheers to many years with your '16! I'm on the hunt for one and hope to join you soon!
Thanks and I’m glad this thread gave you a smile. I hope you find one of these gems and enjoy it for many miles!

Originally Posted by PJP13
Thanks for that. I am going to research it... I have the factory Bose and was considering adding a sub, this unit with their fiber optic module should handle all that...
Much Appreciated.
Let me know how that works out for you. I’m planning on a sound processor, two amps and a 10 inch sub all built into the back in a custom frame. I just need the time to do the work. It’s a multi weekend project so I hope I can do it this year.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
How do you like the iCar soft?
Its good for my needs so far but I haven’t really used anything past the normal use to give you a good review on it.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:22 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Duplicate post

Last edited by Mmade992; 02-11-2023 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 02-21-2023, 08:15 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Hey fellas! On the road again and hit the 75k mark last week.

-Oil Change
-Fuel filter
-Fuel additive
-Fill Blue Def tank
-Overall checkup

On with the service…..

Fuel Filter was surprising to me as it definitely had some water in it as the filter was starting to rust slightly. I changed this 20k miles ago but I’ll do it @15k miles next time to see how it is……

All water was extracted and the fuel filter housing was cleaned up. Added the diesel fuel, installed the new filter and let it soak up the fuel, torqued the screws down and cycled the key a few times to make sure the fuel had no air.

Started right up!

OCD has me putting all my plastic trim pins in order and I’m ready for another 5000 miles….

These 18’s are getting pretty low on tread and I’ve been looking around for a good Porsche OEM set of 20 inch wheels to replace them and I’ve finally found a set.

Porsche Design 2 wheels that were true but needed a refinish so I picked them up and took them to my wheel shop for a refinish and getting them powder coated a darker bronze finish. It should look pretty good on the black body Cayenne. I’ll have the 18’s as a backup as they still have about 5K of tread left in them. I should have these wheels mounted in about a week or two.

The car never disappoints me and I love it each and every day I drive it. I cut down a section of deck in my backyard to make room for my upcoming dream garage build in my backyard and this thing tows with ease!

I put the trailer all the way in the back for the last trip till the garage is built in May. This is the last time I’ll be able to drive the Cayenne all the way in the back so I had to take a picture. The garage is going in front of that area.

The following 4 users liked this post by Mmade992:
KBell (02-21-2023), Needsdecaf (03-05-2023), Sam_M (03-06-2023), Toby Pennycuff (02-22-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 07:18 PM
Mmade992
Racer

These 20 inch wheels will hide the brake dust a lot better in Bronze than their original color.

My local wheel guy did a fantastic job bringing these back to life and the color works well with the black paint. They wheel force balanced the Continental DWS06 ultra performance tires and installed oem tpms sensors.

Ceramic coated all the wheels and let them bond to the wheels for a few days before I mounted them to the car.

Let's get these things mounted. The garage was full of machines so I had to go old school.....

I had an appointment at the dealer to get my tailgate fixed and the parts were in. I brought the car down after I installed the wheels and they will take care of programming the tpms for me while they have it.

That's all for now. I took a road trip down to Amelia Island, FL with the wife to attend the Werks Reunion and attend the cars and Community show on Saturday. We took the 911 and I was surprised how many diesels were down there. What a blast it was and I highly recommend attending this if you're on the East Coast!

The following 4 users liked this post by Mmade992:
KBell (03-06-2023), Needsdecaf (03-05-2023), Sam_M (03-06-2023), Toby Pennycuff (03-06-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 11:31 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wheels look sharp! Nice choice of tires, too. They do well on the CD.
Old 03-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Sam_M
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Extremely helpful information, Many thanks!
last night I came across this thread and couldn’t but help reading everything at once! I’ve always been thinking about diesels especially a cayenne, and your information helps tremendously.
for now I have 3 questions for you

about your new wheel/tire setup: do you feel a difference in ride quality/handling/driving feel compared with the old setup?

about warranty: do all CDs come with 7 years unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty?

last Q: is there any diesel rattle? generally how do you evaluate your suv in terms of NVH and cabin quietness?

Cheers
Old 03-06-2023, 12:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam_M
Extremely helpful information, Many thanks!
last night I came across this thread and couldn’t but help reading everything at once! I’ve always been thinking about diesels especially a cayenne, and your information helps tremendously.
for now I have 3 questions for you

about your new wheel/tire setup: do you feel a difference in ride quality/handling/driving feel compared with the old setup?

about warranty: do all CDs come with 7 years unlimited mileage bumper to bumper warranty?

last Q: is there any diesel rattle? generally how do you evaluate your suv in terms of NVH and cabin quietness?

Cheers
I'm interested in the first question, as I have the same tires on the same sized wheels (different design).

No, CD's do not come with 7 year unlimited bumper to bumper. CD's were sold with 4 years / 50k. Dieselgate extended that to match the CPO coverage 6 years / 100k. There is also a diesel warranty that extends coverage of the engine, long block, exhaust and emissions equipment to 10 years / 120k.

There is diesel rattle. it's a diesel, you can't help it. It's pretty quiet, and I actually find the mechanical nature of it quite enjoyable. There is a very slight vibration at idle, and zero while underway. The low end torque, effortless passing and exceptional fuel economy more than make up for it though. Let's put it this way, my wife has driven this as her daily for almost 10 years, and she had ZERO objections to it being a diesel. In fact, we drove it back to back with the base gasser and both overwhelmingly preferred it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
KBell (03-06-2023), Sam_M (03-06-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 06:44 AM
Mmade992
Racer

I agree with everything Needsdecaf has said. Great car and you will absolutely love this thing more with each day you drive it. It's sad they don't offer a diesel in the newer lineup.

The last picture of the cayenne was at the dealer getting dropped off where unfortunately is still sitting to get more parts installed on the tailgate. I brought my car in months ago for the tailgate going down and not closing. I told my dealer each time I dropped it off for this issue that it will close every time IF I guide it down and not allow it to slam. They obviously don't listen to their customers because this time they ordered and replaced the latch......no fix. Got a call from the dealer saying they are overnighting two struts because “it seems as though the tailgate closing at a higher speed and slams down when it latches closed” 🤔

I hope to have it back today so I can't give a good answer yet on the ride difference between the two wheel sizes. I'll get back with you guys this weekend regarding that as I'll gave two trips under my belt. On the way to the dealer, I did notice it handled a lot better due to the performance tire and the 10mm difference in sidewall. The other thing was the weight....... The 20s felt lighter than the 18s if not the exact weight. I was super happy about that!

Last edited by Mmade992; 03-07-2023 at 06:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sam_M (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 02:55 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mmade992
I agree with everything Needsdecaf has said. Great car and you will absolutely love this thing more with each day you drive it. It's sad they don't offer a diesel in the newer lineup.

The last picture of the cayenne was at the dealer getting dropped off where unfortunately is still sitting to get more parts installed on the tailgate. I brought my car in months ago for the tailgate going down and not closing. I told my dealer each time I dropped it off for this issue that it will close every time IF I guide it down and not allow it to slam. They obviously don't listen to their customers because this time they ordered and replaced the latch......no fix. Got a call from the dealer saying they are overnighting two struts because “it seems as though the tailgate closing at a higher speed and slams down when it latches closed” 🤔

I hope to have it back today so I can't give a good answer yet on the ride difference between the two wheel sizes. I'll get back with you guys this weekend regarding that as I'll gave two trips under my belt. On the way to the dealer, I did notice it handled a lot better due to the performance tire and the 10mm difference in sidewall. The other thing was the weight....... The 20s felt lighter than the 18s if not the exact weight. I was super happy about that!
So is your tailgate issue with it closing completely? Ours has an issue but only when it's cold. It'll close, but it'll give the obstruction beep and not do the soft-close procdeure. But it's close enough that literally just shutting the door hard causes the latch mechanism to re-engage and complete the soft close process. At first we used to get out, open the hatch manually then press it shut to engage the soft close. Then we just pushed it closed. Then one time accidentally someone shut their door and it closed and we realized that will get it to close every single time.

Bizarre.

The dealer replaced both struts, the latch striker, the soft close, weatherstripping, basically everything they could think of. Only thing I could think is that somehow the anti-pinch sensor is getting fooled. But you'd have thought it'd been replaced by now. Since it It really only happens when it's cold, we just gave up and deal with it.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:43 AM
Sam_M
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I test drove a CD this Friday, my first ever Porsche driving!! and my first ever experience with a turbo engine too!
the car was beautiful and very clean and I loved the interior of it. It was a LOT nicer than pictures!!
price was ~25.5k and it had 140k miles and the turbo was just replaced by Porsche under warranty! which was surprising to me that there's still warranty left on it @140k! I couldn't test drive it at high speeds, it was only city driving. I think I had very high expectations and was somewhat disappointed! I'm not sure if this example was working perfectly fine though! First disappointment was with engine sound and vibration. It was good when not in motion, a bit vibration at idle and no vibration when riving it. noise level was acceptable too, in motion though, the sound was not inspiring at all! it felt like the engine was trying hard! I didn't get a sense of effortless power delivery. When I floored it, it would accelerate quickly though. there was vibration too! after the test drive when I drove my vw golf, it felt smoother in comparison.
Also, under moderate to heavy acceleration, there was a pinging noise coming from the engine. I was wondering if this is normal!! I recorded a video but the noise is not audible in the video.

Now, I'm thinking have you CD experts driven GTS too? it has similar torque and more hp. So, I'm wondering how does that drive compared with diesels!
Cheers

Old 03-12-2023, 07:20 PM
Mmade992
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
So is your tailgate issue with it closing completely? Ours has an issue but only when it's cold. It'll close, but it'll give the obstruction beep and not do the soft-close procdeure. But it's close enough that literally just shutting the door hard causes the latch mechanism to re-engage and complete the soft close process. At first we used to get out, open the hatch manually then press it shut to engage the soft close. Then we just pushed it closed. Then one time accidentally someone shut their door and it closed and we realized that will get it to close every single time.

Bizarre.

The dealer replaced both struts, the latch striker, the soft close, weatherstripping, basically everything they could think of. Only thing I could think is that somehow the anti-pinch sensor is getting fooled. But you'd have thought it'd been replaced by now. Since it It really only happens when it's cold, we just gave up and deal with it.
Thats my problem EXACTLY except mine happens all the time regardless of temp. After a full week at the dealer, they replaced both struts and the latch and they said the car was fixed….. My son dropped off my wife’s Panamera for some warranty exhaust work, he took it to school so I didn’t test it till the next day. Another big FAIL when closing the tailgate as what you described is exactly what happens. At this point I don’t know if I should laugh or cry at the situation but these week long stints at the dealer has got to stop for a failed attempt at fixing it. I’m not sure what’s next but the dealer is loosing my respect each and every visit. It’s sad since at the current moment I own three Porsches that are all under warranty. Im a patient man but going in for a fourth visit for the same issue is testing my patients. I want to believe they should be able to fix this especially since you have the same issue and the amount of Cayennes they’ve sold over the years. Time will tell.

After a 265 mile trip this week I can tell you guys the 20 inch tires ride compared to the original 18s are minimal and the ride is still smooth in my opinion. Really happy with the replacements and the look is so much better than the old dated 18s! Happy with my wheel change to date…. Not to mention the car handles so much better! Planning on doing a coil over setup in the next 12 months to really dial this chassis in. Should be fun!

I test drove a CD this Friday, my first ever Porsche driving!! and my first ever experience with a turbo engine too!
the car was beautiful and very clean and I loved the interior of it. It was a LOT nicer than pictures!!
price was ~25.5k and it had 140k miles and the turbo was just replaced by Porsche under warranty! which was surprising to me that there's still warranty left on it @140k! I couldn't test drive it at high speeds, it was only city driving. I think I had very high expectations and was somewhat disappointed! I'm not sure if this example was working perfectly fine though! First disappointment was with engine sound and vibration. It was good when not in motion, a bit vibration at idle and no vibration when riving it. noise level was acceptable too, in motion though, the sound was not inspiring at all! it felt like the engine was trying hard! I didn't get a sense of effortless power delivery. When I floored it, it would accelerate quickly though. there was vibration too! after the test drive when I drove my vw golf, it felt smoother in comparison.
Also, under moderate to heavy acceleration, there was a pinging noise coming from the engine. I was wondering if this is normal!! I recorded a video but the noise is not audible in the video.

Now, I'm thinking have you CD experts driven GTS too? it has similar torque and more hp. So, I'm wondering how does that drive compared with diesels!
Cheers
I think the car you ran was probably in need of some work. The turbo definitely has a delay if it’s stock without a tune….Totally different car!

I’d suggest you drive another one but this also isn’t a fast suv. I had a 2016 Cayenne Turbo that was fast, fun, dialed in with all the goodies (pdcc, air, 21inch tires 153k sticker) and all that power up top…. This diesel isn’t that but it does everything I ask of it day in and day out without killing me in the wallet.

I do miss the turbo but I wouldn’t give up my CD for one.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mmade992:
Needsdecaf (03-13-2023), Sam_M (03-12-2023)
Old 03-13-2023, 10:18 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Cheers
It's a diesel. What you described is typical operation. No, it doesn't sound inspiring at all. It's got a racket for an exhaust which passes through a cat and a particulate filter. You hear no exhaust noise, only diesel engine noise. This engine is meant for effortless torque and high fuel economy. As you noted, you got good acceleration. Certainly your first turbo experience and diesel experience for sure.

A GTS will be MUCH different. Much louder, more exciting. Power band will be much higher in the rev range. Will have less turbo lag than the diesel. But will suffer fuel economy
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
Mmade992 (03-13-2023), Sam_M (03-13-2023)

Quick Reply: My 16 cayenne diesel log from purchase, issues, mods, maintenance and travel photos….