Sponsored By:

Transfer Case Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 03:48 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi guys - first post here on Rennlist.
Our 2014 958.1 base model that we've had for about 7 years has been an excellent car - that's coming from my 20 years as a certified Audi technician in the bay area. Porsche has a 10 year warranty on the TC on this car (I also have a 2015 958.2 CS that only has an (expired) 8 year warranty) so i took it to the dealer and with some shifting concerns and they replaced the TC for free. Extremely happy Porsche customer here.

I did replace the TC fluid in the 958.2 and developed some 4WD faults that I figured out needed an adaptation in the transmission computer - no more warning after 15mph (this fault would erase on a key cycle but return every time).

Thanks to this forum for the knowledge.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:55 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,461 Likes on 2,098 Posts

FWIW - My 2016 Cayenne Turbo S is on its third transfer case with 90k on it.
My 2017 Cayenne GTS is on its second transfer case with 58k on it.
My 2009 Cayenne Turbo is on its original transfer case with 83k on it.

The 2009 Turbo is the real beast of burden of the three and I frequently drive it in deep snow and off road conditions. It is an absolute monster when off-roading and absolutely eclipses the newer Cayennes performance level. I love all three of them though and have done a DE with the 2016 Turbo S and it is shockingly fast for an SUV.

My Porsche service manager has been quite helpful whenever I've had a problem. Good relationships with service managers are critical when you own over a dozen Porsches.
Old 03-24-2024, 04:30 PM
Vit0
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought a 2011 Cayenne S, which has 193k kilometers (approx. 120k miles) and after carefully checking the entire history, it has never had its Transer Case or oil changed. This week I will change the oil to Ravenoil to flush out what I find there, and after another few hundred kilometers I will fill it with OE Porsche. As of today, the gearbox still works with no issue, which is a phenomenon for me considering this mileage.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:32 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Update on my transfer case all wheel drive warning - it returned after about 500 miles and one more adaptation locked up the computer with clutch max wear limit faults 00117 & 00114 that wont adapt or erase. I've sourced a rebuilt TC from Awd.tech and ill replace it myself when it arrives - they gave me a price that made rebuilding it myself not worth the work. 150,000 miles on the car but i don't know if it is the original TC.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:11 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Vit0
I recently bought a 2011 Cayenne S, which has 193k kilometers (approx. 120k miles) and after carefully checking the entire history, it has never had its Transer Case or oil changed. This week I will change the oil to Ravenoil to flush out what I find there, and after another few hundred kilometers I will fill it with OE Porsche. As of today, the gearbox still works with no issue, which is a phenomenon for me considering this mileage.
OP,

If it were my car, I would not change out the Transfer Case fluid. Instead, next time you have it at the dealer or an independent/friend that has a PIWIS, I would ask what the wear parameter is. From AllDataDIY for my 2011, "During servicing, the oil for the transfer gear must only be changed if the wear parameter in the transfer gear control unit is > 75 %. -> 033500 Diagnostic maintenance: diagnostic system and maintenance inter."

Can you grab the part number off of the transfer case? Should be a stamped number on the bottom of the case closest to the transmission and hopefully a paper one still attached at the top of the case. Should begin with 958....
Old 03-30-2024, 05:55 PM
Vit0
8th Gear

Originally Posted by CAVU
OP,

If it were my car, I would not change out the Transfer Case fluid. Instead, next time you have it at the dealer or an independent/friend that has a PIWIS, I would ask what the wear parameter is. From AllDataDIY for my 2011, "During servicing, the oil for the transfer gear must only be changed if the wear parameter in the transfer gear control unit is > 75 %. -> 033500 Diagnostic maintenance: diagnostic system and maintenance inter."

Can you grab the part number off of the transfer case? Should be a stamped number on the bottom of the case closest to the transmission and hopefully a paper one still attached at the top of the case. Should begin with 958....
Unfortunately, I have to change it because it jerks at some points while driving. And when I connected to PIWIS when I bought the car, it showed the need to replace it (apparently due to time, not mileage), but I did not ask to check the wear. I should start working on it next week, so when I get on the lift, I'll try to find the Transfer case number. I can't get there without a lift
Old 03-30-2024, 07:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

I understand. Been there, done that. If you have not found this thread, it should help. Especially to not crack the case at one or both fill/drain plugs. https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-caye...-change-2.html . You will note that the last post is mine when I changed the fluid, I was feeling snaps and pops. Ended up with a replacement transfer case 6 months later because the fluid change made no difference in my case.

Old 04-05-2024, 01:39 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Update: Rebuilt transfer case came very quickly from AWD.Tech and I installed it on the driveway (toughest part was trying to pry off the drive shafts with no room / clearance because of the ground). I was able to code the new module using my Thinktool Pro scanner (No need for PIWIS). I have about 1000 miles on the rebuilt case and it's driving fie - No more "AWD fault" displayed on the instrument cluster.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hayabusa3:
CAVU (04-05-2024), RhinoComp (04-07-2024), TNelson (04-12-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 06:57 PM
RhinoComp
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayabusa3
Update: Rebuilt transfer case came very quickly from AWD.Tech and I installed it on the driveway (toughest part was trying to pry off the drive shafts with no room / clearance because of the ground). I was able to code the new module using my Thinktool Pro scanner (No need for PIWIS). I have about 1000 miles on the rebuilt case and it's driving fie - No more "AWD fault" displayed on the instrument cluster.
Was coding for your vehicle actually required? The Porsche bulletin makes it sound like it's not required if the new transfer case already has the servo motor/control unit included. Or maybe I'm understanding it incorrectly?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
MC-10145566-9999.pdf (283.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-07-2024, 07:47 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

It's possible that it wasn't required I guess. I selected control module replacement and it seemed to code it. Stated ' coding performed ' but I didn't see if it cleared the code before driving. I replaced the unit, used the scanner to code the module and then went for a road test.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:59 AM
spareone1238
2nd Gear

Did they agree to fix it? They wouldn't fix mine.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:02 PM
spareone1238
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 928 GT R
FWIW - My 2016 Cayenne Turbo S is on its third transfer case with 90k on it.
My 2017 Cayenne GTS is on its second transfer case with 58k on it.
My 2009 Cayenne Turbo is on its original transfer case with 83k on it.

The 2009 Turbo is the real beast of burden of the three and I frequently drive it in deep snow and off road conditions. It is an absolute monster when off-roading and absolutely eclipses the newer Cayennes performance level. I love all three of them though and have done a DE with the 2016 Turbo S and it is shockingly fast for an SUV.

My Porsche service manager has been quite helpful whenever I've had a problem. Good relationships with service managers are critical when you own over a dozen Porsches.
I'm having issues with my transfer case -- is Porsche continuing to fix the issue for you?
Old 05-19-2024, 03:16 PM
Questionmillenn
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m a bit concerned I might have this issue but I can’t pinpoint it. Porsche says it’s good, but there are times I hear a grinding sound when I’m driving. It’s not the brakes. I think it’s either the TC or Differential. I did change the fluids in both a couple of weeks ago. Is there a warranty on these for a 2017? It has 109K miles on it
Old 05-19-2024, 06:15 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Questionmillenn
Is there a warranty on these for a 2017? It has 109K miles on it
2015-2018 7 years from service start date (date of first sale)

The dealer has PAG approved diagnostic procedures so keep bugging the dealer. I do not recommend changing the transfer case fluid at this point.

Double check the weight and GL type of differential fluids you used. If both diffs are typical, then 75W-90 GL4 or GL5 is all you need. If the rear diff is limited slip, then it will need 75W-90 LS GL5. I have regular diffs and run the 75W-90 GL5 Synthetic.

Last edited by CAVU; 05-22-2024 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 06:59 PM
Hayabusa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Questionmillenn
I’m a bit concerned I might have this issue but I can’t pinpoint it. Porsche says it’s good, but there are times I hear a grinding sound when I’m driving. It’s not the brakes. I think it’s either the TC or Differential. I did change the fluids in both a couple of weeks ago. Is there a warranty on these for a 2017? It has 109K miles on it
I destroyed the bearings in my front differential so it's worth crawling under there and putting your hand on the shaft that goes between the TC and the front differential. Rotate that back and forth with your hand in any gear or park - you'll only get a few mm of movement. There shouldn't be any clanking or movement or noise in the differential. If there is, drain the oil in the front differential and check the oil for small pieces of metal.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Failure