Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Door lock actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 01:25 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

And now the rear passenger door on my '15 has stopped unlocking. I'm thinking there's a problem with these things, but I wonder if, after warranty, it's a simple clean and lube fix?
Old 10-23-2020, 11:26 PM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

The rear driver's door on my 11 went out about a month ago, it was just over 1k at the local dealer.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:55 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
And now the rear passenger door on my '15 has stopped unlocking. I'm thinking there's a problem with these things, but I wonder if, after warranty, it's a simple clean and lube fix?
I doubt it's that simple. When my rear passenger side door one stopped locking - I asked the place that replaced it (about $800) for the old part thinking I could learn something from it. Not a chance - it's a glued together module of plastic and steel with some rivets and electrical components thrown in for good luck. I still have it in the box in my garage. Maybe I'll take it out sometime and take some photos, but I doubt if I'll try disassembling it.
Old 10-24-2020, 04:36 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I doubt it's that simple. When my rear passenger side door one stopped locking - I asked the place that replaced it (about $800) for the old part thinking I could learn something from it. Not a chance - it's a glued together module of plastic and steel with some rivets and electrical components thrown in for good luck. I still have it in the box in my garage. Maybe I'll take it out sometime and take some photos, but I doubt if I'll try disassembling it.
Could you just douse it with brake cleaner fluid or WD-40, maybe, to flush out any crud in there? If you have the old part, maybe worth a try?

If it's truly non-serviceable, that really sucks.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:52 PM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Still have the issue, but can add that when I use the key in the driver door lock (exterior) it locks, and unlocks just fine. Alarm chirp and all.

Would this simply mean the lock actuator just does have enough juice to pull the Bowden cable? I tried to lube the lock area to no avail, did feel kinda stiff though (the lock)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Could you just douse it with brake cleaner fluid or WD-40, maybe, to flush out any crud in there? If you have the old part, maybe worth a try?

If it's truly non-serviceable, that really sucks.
I don't think that would be effective. It's REALLY pretty complex and packed in there.. and I'd have no way to know if that helped because I'm not paying anyone to remove the new part to reinstall an old broken part in the hopes it got better.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:51 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Good point. Once its out of warranty, if it happens again, I may try it before buying a new actuator. Especially if this becomes a recurring problem.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:00 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Tangential to the issue of not locking -
The front passenger door handle just came off in my hand while opening.
And the fuel door does not open - even with the inside pull cord. Coaxed it open with plastic tool to refuel.
Parts on order using VIN - hope it comes in the correct color.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:16 PM
Blaine Sellie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Well....I finally decided to order a new driver door lock actuator for $185 and see if I could get this done. 5 hours later, I have a working door lock and the alarm once again arms itself. For those that may experience this issue in the future you have a few things to do here-

1) remove door panel and disconnect a few electrical connections (plenty of youtube videos showing how to do this)
2) lower the window about 4 inches, and then remove a couple grommets that cover a hole allowing access to the window regulator bolts. Loosen two bolts with small heads (they spin counter clockwise as the install from the opposite site)
3) slide window to the top and tape in place
4) remove the "inner" door panel. With the regulator lowered you can untuck the upper portion to get it all out of the way, but still connected.
5) remove the outer door lock assembly as the shaft attaches to the lock actuator, simply loosen screw and push and the outer lock becomes "un-hinged"
6) loosen two screws holding actuator in place, disconnect the electrical connection, and the bowden cables, and attach to new lock actuator. One cable is routed to the outer door handle, and the other is routed to the inner door handle.

Install is pretty much the reverse......

The following 2 users liked this post by Blaine Sellie:
igrip (09-29-2023), Tiehack (02-09-2024)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:09 AM
edde
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

In order to free the window glass it looks to me like we're talking about removing two small screws on the reverse inside at the top of the guides/bottom of the glass. Contrary to what I've read I don't see any grommet access to anything. The guides and all are also attached to the bottom of the inner panel from reverse with large heads and cable wound around a spindle.

If I need to remove those two blind screws on the inside reverse at the top I will but I would be very concerned about getting them relocated on the install.

Can some one correct me or confirm?

TY!!! I gotta do BOTH rear doors!
Old 07-31-2021, 12:16 PM
edde
Instructor

Now I get it. The reverse side screw are clamping the glass. Hence the instruction to loosen. And away we go
Old 09-26-2021, 01:51 PM
auzivision
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

My passenger rear door on a 2013 GTS no longer locks and the alarm doesn't chirp. Reading here sounds like it's the actuator. I'm going to get a quote from my local independent repair shop. Hoping for $600 or less. Too much more than that, I'll probably try to fix it myself.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:56 PM
edde
Instructor

Originally Posted by auzivision
My passenger rear door on a 2013 GTS no longer locks and the alarm doesn't chirp. Reading here sounds like it's the actuator. I'm going to get a quote from my local independent repair shop. Hoping for $600 or less. Too much more than that, I'll probably try to fix it myself.
Once you figure out what is actually going on in there it's not horrible but the learning curve is significant. My first side took about 4 hours but the second was an hour plus a little. $149 and change per side for parts.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:31 AM
dougpan4
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2014 Cayenne, my rear right - pasenger side door is not open from outside, i have to open from inside. when i lock the doors with remote, the right rear does not work. I am very sure iit is actuator. after watching the video, I see the labor is very intense, my door has the shade option. So i'm going to ask the body shop to do it for me, and I buy parts on-line, save some $ on that. Do I need PIWIS to reprogram the actuator?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2021, 03:33 PM
edde
Instructor

Originally Posted by dougpan4
2014 Cayenne, my rear right - pasenger side door is not open from outside, i have to open from inside. when i lock the doors with remote, the right rear does not work. I am very sure iit is actuator. after watching the video, I see the labor is very intense, my door has the shade option. So i'm going to ask the body shop to do it for me, and I buy parts on-line, save some $ on that. Do I need PIWIS to reprogram the actuator?

Thanks
Nope

Quick Reply: Door lock actuator replacement