Key Not Recognized Kessy Issue "Fix"

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:06 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Key Not Recognized Kessy Issue "Fix"

All

It looks like I may have fixed my KNR issue. Thanks to Kvec for threading the needle on this one.

I was getting "Key not Recognized" sometime as many as 30 time on the way to work. Then non at other times. I hooked up my Launch diag tool and after some digging I found that the door locks were tossing an error that they were depressed for to long. Indicative of a bad door switch. I tried cleaning etc. etc. Kvec then posted that he pulled the door handle (instructions for the front below as well as the initial thread) and snipped wire 3 to deactivate the door switch. He indicated it was the green wire in the rear handle. Someone else mentioned they had no green wire.

So today removed all 4 handles and I had 4 white wires to each switch. BUT they are marked in the black plastic connector. If you have old eyesight like mine you will need a magnifying glass. But they are there.

I removed the Purple retaining clip and with a pick tool unlocked the wire and pulled it out. Then electrical taped it. Now you can simply cut it too After reassembly (which takes a bit of patience and feel but not hard) I hooked up my diag tool and all 4 switches were in an "Inactive" state". Also each had a signal error which you would expect.

So far so good.

Removal instructions are below the pictures.

And here is the original thread from Kvec: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-problems.html

Hope this helps someone out.

And pictures of the connectors:

Attached Images
The following 4 users liked this post by Tim Wasmer:
deilenberger (11-20-2019), Franko T (11-22-2019), kvec (11-20-2019), TV911 (12-12-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:23 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes! Great work, Tim. Glad you figured it out.
The following users liked this post:
Tim Wasmer (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

You made it happen
kvec (11-23-2019)
Old 12-12-2022, 05:00 PM
englishbull911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Reviving an old thread here
Do you need to do this for all four handles or just the driver’s?
Did anyone have starting issues or dead battery after parking for a day or two?
I have both?
Old 12-12-2022, 05:19 PM
kvec
Instructor

Originally Posted by englishbull911
Reviving an old thread here
Do you need to do this for all four handles or just the driver’s?
Did anyone have starting issues or dead battery after parking for a day or two?
I have both?
Just snip whatever handle is giving you the issue. Helpful to use a scan tool to figure that out. No reason to deactivate all four handles if just one is broken.

As far as your dead battery, I don’t know for sure, but I doubt it’s related. I had this issue for a long time while I was diagnosing it and never had any drain issues. The Cayenne battery is enormous, so you likely either need a new battery or have an electrical issue somewhere else that’s a bigger deal. The draw from these door handles is likely so small that it’s immaterial. A scanner would help you diagnose that as well.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:05 PM
englishbull911
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kvec
Just snip whatever handle is giving you the issue. Helpful to use a scan tool to figure that out. No reason to deactivate all four handles if just one is broken.

As far as your dead battery, I don’t know for sure, but I doubt it’s related. I had this issue for a long time while I was diagnosing it and never had any drain issues. The Cayenne battery is enormous, so you likely either need a new battery or have an electrical issue somewhere else that’s a bigger deal. The draw from these door handles is likely so small that it’s immaterial. A scanner would help you diagnose that as well.
Ok thanks for the info
Old 12-18-2022, 03:43 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kvec thanks for your tenacity in finding a solution to the issue and sharing the result, I will take that as an example to always follow up and post my resolutions (or lack thereof!).

Regarding the battery drain, I have an alternate spin on this aspect. I had one of the early Audi Q7s in the US with kessy and it was plagued with battery drain issues, this was of course a platform on which the Cayenne was based. The dealership had it for weeks back and forth, I noticed one night after the car had been parked up in the driveway locked for several hours that the radio and interior light were on and checked the car was locked . Bottom line the dealership found the switch in one of the door handles Intermittent and the explanation was related to the power "sleep-state" of the car. I don't know what the true terms are for the car sleep-state but modern cars electrical systems have multiple levels of "standby", whereby various electrical systems are powered down until the quiescent draw from the battery is really low. Any (at least on earlier firmware) of the multiple computer modules around the car could wake the vehicle to a higher state of standby. My Issue happened to be the one that manages the doors, the biggest issue for them was the diagnostic at the time didn't tell them which one was waking up. As a sidebar I also know from my 911 parked in the garage there is a higher level draw from the battery when I don't lock it vs locking it. So Kvec, your door handle fix maybe a solution to many other things.

Another age related battery drain https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...to-fail-2.html

Kvec, I see in your sig Bos & AZ; I'm UK, FL then AZ; what city in AZ?.

Last edited by Danyol; 12-18-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 08:50 AM
911guyinaz
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I have found that excessive high pressure touch-less car washes also create this event. So now just hand wash.
wkearney99 (01-24-2023)
Old 12-23-2022, 02:34 PM
HETPE3B
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Curiosity for - are you guys referring for the version with the keyless-go function (I assume this is the case) or regular?
Old 01-23-2023, 05:56 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread but thought I might be able to help...

So I had the same Key Not Recognized error message on on 2011 958.1 and it was driving me crazy going off every few seconds on occasions. This happened after a big snow day that covered the handles. I think ice made its way into the handle and fouled the contacts.

Searched and found this thread and the original thread from April 2019. I was all set to open the door handle up and severe the wire like the solutions here but a light came on in my head and I thought "So it's the door lock sensor going haywire and thinking someone is trying to open the "locked" door but what if I turn the auto lock off??". So I went through the lever settings for Locking and selected Door lock and then selected no locking. Low and behold the warnings went away!!!

If this doesn't work for you then try de-selecting Comfort Entry. Of course, by de-selecting these you will no longer have the doors automatically lock or the use of bluetooth entry.

Hope this helps!
luciano136 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:21 PM
kvec
Instructor

Originally Posted by ahimanic

So I had the same Key Not Recognized error message on on 2011 958.1 and it was driving me crazy going off every few seconds on occasions. This happened after a big snow day that covered the handles. I think ice made its way into the handle and fouled the contacts.

Searched and found this thread and the original thread from April 2019. I was all set to open the door handle up and severe the wire like the solutions here but a light came on in my head and I thought "So it's the door lock sensor going haywire and thinking someone is trying to open the "locked" door but what if I turn the auto lock off??". So I went through the lever settings for Locking and selected Door lock and then selected no locking. Low and behold the warnings went away!!!

If this doesn't work for you then try de-selecting Comfort Entry. Of course, by de-selecting these you will no longer have the doors automatically lock or the use of bluetooth entry.

Hope this helps!
🤦🏻‍♂️ This is great info. Way to get creative! I can't believe none of us thought to try that.

I assume turning that off would also turn off the ability to grab the handle and have the door unlock?
Old 01-23-2023, 06:51 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by ahimanic

Hope this helps!
Excellent info!!

Old 01-24-2023, 02:17 PM
ahimanic
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

🤦🏻‍♂️ This is great info. Way to get creative! I can't believe none of us thought to try that.

I assume turning that off would also turn off the ability to grab the handle and have the door unlock?

Not if you turn off just the auto-locking from "Door Lock" option, it just won't lock the doors anymore after you start the ignition or drive off but the Comfort Entry will still work! The small locking button may not work to lock the door if it is having issues. If there was nothing wrong with the unlocking handle then it should still work.

If you uncheck the "Comfort Entry" then you will have to use your remote to unlock/lock.

I wish Porsche made the bluetooth access a sealed unit without buttons to foul up like the BMWs.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:37 PM
qsharif
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I just experienced this issue recently, where there was water in the door handle. The button seems to be broken and that's what lead the water to enter. Now every time while driving it says "Key not recognized"
Is there a way to fix the issue rather than severe the wires and cancel the option?

Old 01-30-2023, 02:43 PM
luciano136
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by qsharif
So I just experienced this issue recently, where there was water in the door handle. The button seems to be broken and that's what lead the water to enter. Now every time while driving it says "Key not recognized"
Is there a way to fix the issue rather than severe the wires and cancel the option?
Use the option above to turn off the "auto lock" feature. Does it still happen after drying out the lock? If not, you can also just replace the rubber button to prevent the water from getting in again.

Quick Reply: Key Not Recognized Kessy Issue "Fix"