Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Why every 958 alarm siren is going to fail..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 10:16 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Consider posting your year and model.

for my Cayenne it is PAB-951-605. Just got it in the mail yesterday from the dealer.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:20 PM
rperia
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAVU
Consider posting your year and model.

for my Cayenne it is PAB-951-605. Just got it in the mail yesterday from the dealer.
My model a 2015 911 Turbo s
Old 09-12-2021, 10:39 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

I like to search and confirm part numbers at the various porsche dealer online parts sites. suncoast is an example. I try to use my local dealer for mine https://parts.porscheofannapolis.com/

In your case, plug in either your VIN or year and model. Then I would search with the part number you have in hand. It will then alert you if it is not a correct part number.

Turbo S. That has got to be wicked quick for its "weight class". Pictures as a way to introduce you and your ride?
Old 09-12-2021, 11:21 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by rperia
Hello,
Could you let me know how you opened the unit? Also, did you use a solder iron to replace the battery? How to refloat?
Roy,

Please reread posts #5 and 6. The answers to your questions will be found there.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:31 PM
rperia
4th Gear

Hello,
Thanks for the advice. I'll do that.
I'll work on sending pics.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:40 AM
rutthenut
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fyi - have exactly the same problem going on with Mercedes C63, and probably all other models.
Manufacturers using 'sealed units' for alarms that include a battery inside the unit, which WILL fail at some point time
And when the battery leaks, the pcb gets wrecked too, of course.
Built-in obsolescence, it's that way now, apparently...
The following users liked this post:
s996 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 08:30 PM
rperia
4th Gear

Replaced the old siren (part 1k8-951-605-a on 2015 Porsche 911 Turbo S) with part pab-951-605. Now everything works: two beeps when locking, alarm goes off when opening locked car through open window and no fault showing on flashing red light in door.

The siren is easily accessible next to the tire pump and the wire plug is easy to remove by pushing on the tab and pulling.

I opened the old unit (used a Dremel tool to cut along the bottom edge). Found exactly what was found in the first post; the internal battery was bad. I was able to easily remove the battery using a soldering iron and will replace it just to see if this fixes the problem. While battery fluid had leaked into the board I don't think it is bad. I will keep the new unit installed but this is a backup.

​​​​​​​I'll report back if the unit is fixed with a new battery.

Thanks for the help.
The following 2 users liked this post by rperia:
Cayenne6speed (04-26-2022), Spoddle (04-02-2022)
Old 09-17-2021, 10:11 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

R&R mine this evening. not too bad of a job until you get to those two nuts holding the frame to the fire wall and the one nut holding the alarm to the frame. There is a diabolical place I would like to send the VW/PAG folks who had anything to do with that thing's placement. Going to cut it open and see what is what. Pretty sure what I will find.

Last edited by CAVU; 09-18-2021 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:26 AM
Kelsey15
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Siren for Cayanne

[QUOTE=deilenberger;17257821]Figure on about 10 years from vehicle production date.

My mechanic (and I) just replaced the alarm siren in my '11 CTT. The CTT is just about exactly 10 years old. The siren failed the way they usually do - it stopped chirping and then caused the 4-way flashers to come on continuously when the car is locked. There are a number of threads about this.

Turns out the life of a Ni–MH (Nickel-MetalHydride) battery is 5 to 10 years under normal circumstances. Inside the siren assembly is a 6V Ni-MH battery. When the battery goes bad it kills the siren assembly. We did an autopsy on my failed siren and this is what we found:

It appears that the manufacturing date of the failed module can be found in "110317" which would translate to March 3rd, 2011. That's about right since the CTT was built in April 2011.

The corrosion caused by the leaking electrolyte is fairly obvious in this photo.

Same here

The other end of the battery also shows leakage.

The failure of the siren appears inevitable with time. That means the people buying the eBay used ones for small money are going to face a replacement a bit sooner than someone installing a recently manufactured one. If you're paying for labor to install it - that probably is a false economy, since you'll be paying the labor again if it fails on it's 10th birthday.

The same siren is used on multitudes of other VW/Audi/Porsche vehicles - IMHO - they all have a failure to look forward to as the vehicles get close to 10 years old.

The number on the siren can not be a date code. We just replaced ours and the code is110222. Today is Jan. 28, 2022. However on the new box it is 14.09.2021. Cost me USD $344 for the part, not counting the labor...here in Indonesia. Like all Porsche parts, way over priced. Our new one was made in Italy

ChrisTDI (01-28-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 04:51 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 123 Posts

I recently purchased the 'C' variant of this siren on Aliexpress... New unit, shows made in Hungary.

I failed to take any pics, but I decided I'd cut it open with a hacksaw first before I went through the trouble to install, and the design is a bit different...

The battery and circuitry are on opposite sides of the PCB, with the battery by itself. Also the battery is basically two half cells, side by side, instead of one long cell.

I've got it put back together with epoxy, so hopefully it holds, and/or I can reopen at a later date to replace the battery if necessary.
Noah Fect (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 03:32 PM
Chetured
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I have a 958 2011 CTT / I have the same issue and then I purchased 3 different used alarm sirens off of ebay - (Don't ask why 3) All three of them did not solve my issue. So I opened one of them - and looked inside - looks perfect and does not appear to have any issue with the battery
maybe the alarm siren is not the issue what could be the issue then ? Another user said it could be the entire alarm module itself. Is it worth checking the battery strength - i ran a durometric and it did not give me any alarm related errors (battery is old but works fine) Key fob battery is low - but will replace and check again as well . Please help ... out of ideas - a new alarm module itself is $1000 !!

So I have a 958 2011 CTT / I have the same issue and then I purchased 3 different used alarm sirens off of ebay - (Don't ask why 3) All three of them did not solve my issue. So I opened one of them - and looked inside - looks perfect and does not appear to have any issue with the battery
Id the alarm siren is not hte issue what could be the issue then ? Another user said it could be the entire alarm module itself. Is it worth checking the battery strength - (battery is old but works fine) Key fob battery is low - but will replace and check again as well .
Old 02-02-2022, 09:54 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chetured
...So I opened one of them - and looked inside - looks perfect and does not appear to have any issue with the battery...
Ugh, that's the same version I have. I hope I don't go through everything to get it installed just for it to not work...

@Chetured, is your cayenne currently coded for the alarm module? Mine had been recoded to allow for a single horn/siren, and I will need to recode it when I install the actual module.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:12 AM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

I spend the last few days snowed-in, so I decided to tackle this alarm siren replacement, which I'd been planning for (er, thought I'd planned for). All the trim off, wiper motor out, and instead of the normal alarm module, there is one of those old-school Bosch metal disk horn/siren things. Once I get that out, I see the plug and wiring are different, so I start unwrapping split-loom looking for the other wires. In the end I can see that a ground was added, and a new wire was introduced, but all the wires that would be present for the alarm module are missing.

So my Cayenne was originally equipped with the alarm depicted on the left (verified via VIN) - which is the unit we're discussing in this thread - and at some point before I became the owner, it was physically rewired - and the module recoded - to be setup like the alarm on the right. It was done professionally, probably at the dealer, as all the wire splicing is done with water-tight heat-shrink and it's all very clean and factory looking. I'm assuming the wiring loom under the dash contains all the necessary wires for either setup, so they likely just pulled the unused ones back inside through the grommet in the firewall, and pulled the one new one out.

I considered getting under the dash and trying to find everything to rewire it - and I'd already found the coding location - but I started wondering why they went to all this trouble to disable it... This was not a simple change-over, as there was a lot of wiring work done in that little space, plus the required coding. The obvious answer might be the known failure rate of the alarm module made someone decide it wasn't worth it long term, but I started to worry there might be other, unknown electrical issues, like maybe something with the LIN network... Anyway, I figured someone made this decision for a reason, and I wasn't ready to find out how many reasons there might be.

So I took a car alarm siren I had, a DEI 514N, and wired it up in place of that metal disk, and now it works like a champ and doesn't beep like a dying animal. It's got that normal alarm "soft chirp" when arming, and when the alarm goes off, it's... interesting... Previously, the alarm would "honk" that disk horn every second or two, but now the new siren starts it's "wee-ooo-wee.." and then cuts out and starts it again so you only get the first few notes of the tone. It's unlike any alarm I've heard go off, so it will definitely be noticeable.

Anyway, the reason for this lengthy post is to let everyone know that if you don't want to worry about these modules dying, you can remove that alarm and replace it with any normal siren - you'll just need to do a little wiring and some coding... I'm sure a dealership could do it as a request, but not sure what that would cost. I would guess 2 plus hours for labor, less than $100 in parts maybe.
will_atl (08-27-2023)
Old 02-08-2022, 01:02 AM
awaschka
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Nice find but no solder tabs welded to it. So installing it will be "interesting". Plus see my comments about replacing the battery above.

FWIW - https://industrialbatterypros.com/co...k-solder-tabs/ seems to be the exact replacement. Maybe Mercedes doesn't weld its siren's cases shut.
The picture and the description don't agree. The description says it has radial pins.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:52 AM
offroadfun
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

So, has anyone determined how to figure out the build dates on these?

Quick Reply: Why every 958 alarm siren is going to fail..