Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2020 | 07:58 AM
nairpic20
7th Gear

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Geez, you really tore into it good. I used a snake to get all the wires through. For the USB, I snaked that into the armwrest.

My issue is actually that sometimes the app crashes or when I put in the address in waze, it blacks out. I then have to reset the JoyAuto and my phone.

I'm thinking update is needed on JoyAuto. Havent checked where to get the update.
The crashing is generated by your phone's system or waze app, probably. I had the same issue with a native carPlay on a skoda. Was fixed after a restore of the device.

I have a printscreen with the latest firmware, check previous photos. You can download from here: https://www.joyeauto.com/support/upgrade/
Download Pass: joyedow

Old 01-06-2020 | 11:45 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Geez, you really tore into it good. I used a snake to get all the wires through. For the USB, I snaked that into the armwrest.

1. Pretty sure there's an additional delayed power to the PCM. But the power location you tapped into is ignition ON. Find a location that has ON with insertion of Key like the PCM. I have the same experience and was going to find a spare tap that does this. I'll report back if I dont see a post about it.

2. Make sure you plugged your fiber in the correct spot. The harness I received had a broken plastic tab that holds the fiber in place. I put 1 loop of electrical tape on the fiber connector and forced it into the location on the chinese harness. Then used a small ziptie behind it so it has no room to back out. Plugged it all it and works. Check fiber.

My issue is actually that sometimes the app crashes or when I put in the address in waze, it blacks out. I then have to reset the JoyAuto and my phone.

I'm thinking update is needed on JoyAuto. Havent checked where to get the update.
Update.....

I figured out my issue. The USB-C cable that goes into the phone is possibly worn. When it moves inside the system disconnects, but then it reconnects, etc... repeat. This causes a fatal error. I'm going to just buy a new short cable.
Old 01-09-2020 | 11:30 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

did you find taking out the glove box make the JoyAuto CarPlay kit installation easier?
I did not know that was part the process & it made me pause. I like to know everything that has to happen before I start projects like this.
Old 01-09-2020 | 11:56 AM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

I’d like to know where people are stuffing the unit? If it’s in the glove box area, then where at? I placed it behind it and it’s not allowing the glove box to fully close. Any help would be appreciated as I hate driving with my box just hanging open :/
Old 01-09-2020 | 12:37 PM
mr_hyde
Advanced

My carplay arrives from Hong Kong Friday (I think that makes something like 3 days shipping - jeepers!). I have a somewhat unique question:

I have two phone - one for work and one personal. Doesn't everyone have a racist, misogynistic brother-in-law that regularly sends NSFW pictures and messages? Anyway...

The work phone takes calls and text messages and the personal phone handles music and Audible (and brother-Ben's banter). I use Waze regularly but I don't particularly care which phone does the heavy lifting on that - I just want it on the PCM screen. That is the primary reason for buying the system. In my previous car, I had the work phone on a dash-mount holder doing Waze and hooked to the Bluetooth charging with a basic charger with the personal phone hooked the the car's USB making it available for music/audio books and also charging it but not interfacing for hands-free calls.

It occurs to me with this Carplay device, I might be able to have the work phone hooked to the PCM Bluetooth for basic calls (I don't need texts on the PCM screen) and have my personal phone connected to the Carplay Bluetooth for using Waze and music/audio books through Carplay. I can put a charging cable near a mag mount on the console somewhere and put a 2nd charger in the armrest case in the event the work phone needs a charge. If no charging is needed I can just leave the work phone in my pocket and if a call comes through it will jump to the PCM Bluetooth screen.

Two questions. 1) I am misunderstanding how this works? 2) How would you do it if you had my situations with the double phones? Again, I don't care which phone does Waze and I rarely/never take calls on my personal phone. Looking forward to a full weekend of tinkering!!!!
Old 01-09-2020 | 12:43 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Originally Posted by H2Ocooledesteem
I’d like to know where people are stuffing the unit? If it’s in the glove box area, then where at? I placed it behind it and it’s not allowing the glove box to fully close. Any help would be appreciated as I hate driving with my box just hanging open :/
did you watch the install video? it goes behind the PCM not in the glove box
im curious if taking apart the glove box made the install easier? I have not seen that done before but maybe who did this was running some other wires / mic or something
Old 01-09-2020 | 01:44 PM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
did you watch the install video? it goes behind the PCM not in the glove box
im curious if taking apart the glove box made the install easier? I have not seen that done before but maybe who did this was running some other wires / mic or something
I would suggest taking apart just the minimum number of things required to install the cabling. I remember reading a post where the person broke one of the plastic parts in the blower/ vent system trying to dismantle the glovebox ...

It was pretty easy for me to just insert the power and mic wires by just removing the glovebox trim and the 3 screws behind it. By then prying a part of the top of the glovebox at a time after removing the screws I was able to lead the wires to the right passenger side fuse panel from which point I continued to snake the mic wire through the plastic trim to the top of the windshield. Some one also posted that they used a snake to lead the wires to the fuse panel.

Search for a YouTube video on installing a dashcam near the rear view mirror on the cayenne . The tips in that video helped me with the wiring of the mic to the top of the windshield.

I think the more difficult task would be to setup a new USB point in the centre console if one chose to. Even setting up a point in the glovebox may be a problem as the wire blocks free glovebox movement. I just forced the USB cable in the gap between the glovebox and the centre console as in the install video and it is pretty discreet.
Old 01-09-2020 | 11:50 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kari
I would suggest taking apart just the minimum number of things required to install the cabling. I remember reading a post where the person broke one of the plastic parts in the blower/ vent system trying to dismantle the glovebox ...

It was pretty easy for me to just insert the power and mic wires by just removing the glovebox trim and the 3 screws behind it. By then prying a part of the top of the glovebox at a time after removing the screws I was able to lead the wires to the right passenger side fuse panel from which point I continued to snake the mic wire through the plastic trim to the top of the windshield. Some one also posted that they used a snake to lead the wires to the fuse panel.

Search for a YouTube video on installing a dashcam near the rear view mirror on the cayenne . The tips in that video helped me with the wiring of the mic to the top of the windshield.

I think the more difficult task would be to setup a new USB point in the centre console if one chose to. Even setting up a point in the glovebox may be a problem as the wire blocks free glovebox movement. I just forced the USB cable in the gap between the glovebox and the centre console as in the install video and it is pretty discreet.
I put the USB in the center console and the mic in the ashtray. Haven't used the mic yet, no use for it, but tested even with the ash lid closed.

If you want to run wires, just use a snake. Why take things apart??
Old 01-10-2020 | 04:44 AM
nairpic20
7th Gear

Installing the CarPlay/JoyAuto module behind the PCM is not ok from my point of view. The space between the PCM is too small and ,yes, it fits there but you will not have good ventilation + you have a big change to ruin your cables. Also I'm expecting electrical interferences for the wifi if you mount it there, in case you use carPlay with wifi.
After disassembling the glove box, now I can say for sure that the best place to mount the module is below the glove box, near the air filter. So installing the module is very easy: 1) central vents out(be careful) 2) pcm out 3) remove the plastic below the glove box(the one you remove when air filter needs to be changed) 4) that's it

From where have you powered the module? Thanks
Old 01-11-2020 | 03:10 AM
mr_hyde
Advanced

Sure enough, the package arrived today. Considering I just bought the car Monday, that is pretty fast! I'm going to tackle this over the weekend and at the same time I install a full 6 sensor ALP/Net, a trailer hitch/module, brake controller, and a dash cam for good measure. Oh, and my 431 mini is arriving tomorrow. When you buy the less expensive car, you have some money left in the budget to buy toys!

Any recommendations on the bluetooth connections for the two phone 'problem'?

Originally Posted by mr_hyde
My carplay arrives from Hong Kong Friday (I think that makes something like 3 days shipping - jeepers!). I have a somewhat unique question:

I have two phone - one for work and one personal. Doesn't everyone have a racist, misogynistic brother-in-law that regularly sends NSFW pictures and messages? Anyway...

The work phone takes calls and text messages and the personal phone handles music and Audible (and brother-Ben's banter). I use Waze regularly but I don't particularly care which phone does the heavy lifting on that - I just want it on the PCM screen. That is the primary reason for buying the system. In my previous car, I had the work phone on a dash-mount holder doing Waze and hooked to the Bluetooth charging with a basic charger with the personal phone hooked the the car's USB making it available for music/audio books and also charging it but not interfacing for hands-free calls.

It occurs to me with this Carplay device, I might be able to have the work phone hooked to the PCM Bluetooth for basic calls (I don't need texts on the PCM screen) and have my personal phone connected to the Carplay Bluetooth for using Waze and music/audio books through Carplay. I can put a charging cable near a mag mount on the console somewhere and put a 2nd charger in the armrest case in the event the work phone needs a charge. If no charging is needed I can just leave the work phone in my pocket and if a call comes through it will jump to the PCM Bluetooth screen.

Two questions. 1) I am misunderstanding how this works? 2) How would you do it if you had my situations with the double phones? Again, I don't care which phone does Waze and I rarely/never take calls on my personal phone. Looking forward to a full weekend of tinkering!!!!
Old 01-11-2020 | 01:38 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurdoc
There is no need to remove the SAT board. If you advise the seller they will send you an extra set of risers. You'll need a total of 6 of them, staking them by pairs. See image bellow:

The risers will allow you to mount the Joyeatuto card above the SAT card. It fits tight.

1. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...w1575918843199
2. Since the audio input must be in AUX, from the steering wheel you can adjust volume and pause the song (I tried using Spotify). I tried the buttons on the PCM and they do work (skip songs). Also the phone buttons, answer and hang-up, work too.
Doing this now - Kurdoc, when you mounted the board above the Sirius board, were you not able to put in the front screw? Yours is missing, and on mine, the Joy board is hitting the antenna connection making it impossible to mount flat. Leaving that front screw out would fix the issue, with the board being on an angle, just wondering if you ran into the same thing.
Old 01-11-2020 | 04:22 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

I figured out a solution for the above. I just did not tighten the two spaces down all the way to make them all taller.

I do have an issue now though. I have everything hooked up. The screen works and I can switch between sources and to CarPlay using the cable (have not messed with the wifi yet. The issue is that I have no sound when in CarPlay, but do have sound from the other sources. Additionally, I can go into Carplay and the other source is still heard. What idiot thing am I doing wrong? One note, looking at a couple videos it seems like you need to change the source on the PCM to Aux. The Aux option is not coming up for me. Just SAT, AM, FM and Disc. It seems like it is not recognizing the dongle.

Last edited by Kris Murphy; 01-11-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2020 | 10:29 PM
dollarlongnecks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
I figured out a solution for the above. I just did not tighten the two spaces down all the way to make them all taller.

I do have an issue now though. I have everything hooked up. The screen works and I can switch between sources and to CarPlay using the cable (have not messed with the wifi yet. The issue is that I have no sound when in CarPlay, but do have sound from the other sources. Additionally, I can go into Carplay and the other source is still heard. What idiot thing am I doing wrong? One note, looking at a couple videos it seems like you need to change the source on the PCM to Aux. The Aux option is not coming up for me. Just SAT, AM, FM and Disc. It seems like it is not recognizing the dongle.
I believe there is a setting in the PCM to enable/disable AUX, and it may actually be off by default. Once you enable that, switch to it, and the CarPlay audio will come through that.
Old 01-11-2020 | 10:44 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Doing this now - Kurdoc, when you mounted the board above the Sirius board, were you not able to put in the front screw? Yours is missing, and on mine, the Joy board is hitting the antenna connection making it impossible to mount flat. Leaving that front screw out would fix the issue, with the board being on an angle, just wondering if you ran into the same thing.
Just turn the XM cable left toward the wall then down. It's not like its glued or soldered in place. Then screw the joy board down to normal tight. I wouldn't let it jiggle in there. These screen cable are typically pretty fragile.
Old 01-12-2020 | 06:53 AM
mr_hyde
Advanced

The install was pretty straight forward and the video was helpful but I'm having this same exact issue described below. I didn't see Pitrow respond with a solution so I'm curious if anyone else has had it. The video mentions unplugging the fiber cable if you have one but the instructions are so choppy, I don't know if I did something wrong. It looks like the Bose amps aren't getting any signal or aren't being told to turn on. I can see the Bluetooth engage and see the XM channels live (when a commercial comes up, the display shows what is being advertised). I didn't check my reverse camera. The lack of audio is the big issue at the moment and the unit being stuck in XM mode seems to be a relevant symptom based on this post from July.

Originally Posted by pitrow
How did you fix the no volume issue? Was it a loose ribbon cable?
I just installed mine and was able to get everything to fit VERY tightly and keep the SAT radio as wife loves that though the ribbon cables going to the screen did have to bend pretty flat to fit. I am able to get it into CarPlay mode, but have 2 issues:
1. I get no volume in Sat Radio or CarPlay
2. When I'm on Sat Radio and I try to switch to any other source input (CD, FM, AM, BT Audio, etc) it just defaults back to SAT (see attached video)
3. When I put car in reverse the screen goes black, factory rear view camera doesn't show.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )