Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021 | 12:40 AM
kari
Instructor

Originally Posted by Korisnik
Guys i installed the Joyeauto kit on my Cayenne 2012 with pcm 3.1 but i don't have any sound when playing something over joy's usb or CarPlay or Android Auto, but i can hear the PCM radio or cd playing in backround. My car doesn't have AUX input,could that be a problem? My original 48 pin connector doesn't have orange or green connector that should be puted in the original harness to the radio as everyone advices to do that

. Don't know where could be the problem, i'll atach the pictures of the connetor maybe someone can give me an advice.. Thanks in advance!
The joyeauto unit needs aux. Is your pcm3.1 unit aux activated? Check out posts 15 and 22 on this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...install-2.html

if you can enable aux and select it, then see if this issue goes away. If not you may have to activate aux .. but I don't think you need to buy any cables as mentioned in that thread as the joyeauto harness has the relevant wires...
Old 01-22-2021 | 07:04 AM
Korisnik
4th Gear

Is there any other solution maybe, could it be wired somehow so that it doesn't use aux output for the sound? Someone told me to install FM modulator that gives an aux input connection.. don't know if thats possible on my PCM unit..
Old 01-22-2021 | 12:42 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Korisnik
Is there any other solution maybe, could it be wired somehow so that it doesn't use aux output for the sound? Someone told me to install FM modulator that gives an aux input connection.. don't know if thats possible on my PCM unit..
Have to have the Aux to play sound from Joy. I personally never use the sound from it, just visuals (wayz). All while listening to XM from PCM.
Old 01-27-2021 | 11:44 AM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Default iOS 14.4 Appears to Break Joyeauto CarPlay Touch Responsiveness

UPDATE - My iPhone took iOS 14.4 last night, so I tested a wired connection to the unit with a device on 14.3 and it worked as expected. My iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.4 is not allowing for touch screen input with the Joyeauto unit. Did a hard reboot on the phone and it appears to have resolved the touch responsiveness..... I'm still running the @konkab build from above that fixed the resolution issue. Has anyone else seen issues with iOS 14.4 and the Joyeauto unit?

Installed my Joyeauto retrofit in my 2014 Cayenne in April and have had no issues until today.

I'm in Michigan, so it's now getting pretty cold (10-20 degrees Fahrenheit). After about 1.5 hours of driving with the heat on, I noticed that the PCM touchscreen became somewhat unresponsive. The whole left-side (driver side) apps buttons would not select from touch or respond to the turn dial control, but I could still tap within Google Maps fine, just couldn't switch apps. I turned off the car, restarted, reconnected, same thing...but now the whole touchscreen within CarPlay was unresponsive to touch and turn dial control. What's interesting is that before my iPhone connected wirelessly, I could tap around within the Joyeauto menus without issue, but as soon as I got into CarPlay, it stopped responding to touch. Normal PCM menus work fine as well.

Has anyone seen an unresponsive touch screen in CarPlay with their Joyeauto units?

The unit itself is positioned behind the PCM, but it sounds like installing behind the glovebox or under the steering wheel may be better options...especially for situations like this. I'm wondering if having the heat on is having an impact on the Joyeauto unit. Anyone else see touch issues in colder climates with the heater on?

I'm going to give it some time to cool down and try again, and also try with some other iPhones (mine took iOS 14.4 last night).

Last edited by ziptbm; 01-27-2021 at 12:35 PM. Reason: got more information about issue.
Old 01-27-2021 | 12:30 PM
TMC.
Racer

I'm just North of Detroit, I'll mess around with mine today (also Joyeauto) if anything seems weird I'll let you know.
The following users liked this post:
ziptbm (01-27-2021)
Old 01-28-2021 | 07:28 AM
abatis
Instructor

@ ZIP If your joy unit is behind the PCM that will make it hard to calibrate the screen in the future. There are some toggle switches on the joy unit to set various function. One toggle brings up a calibration screen on the PCM after you reboot the unit. I had to calibrate mine at install time. I installed mine under the steering wheel area and it fit fine there. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2021 | 07:21 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by abatis
@ ZIP If your joy unit is behind the PCM that will make it hard to calibrate the screen in the future. There are some toggle switches on the joy unit to set various function. One toggle brings up a calibration screen on the PCM after you reboot the unit. I had to calibrate mine at install time. I installed mine under the steering wheel area and it fit fine there. Good luck.
I did calibrate it when I installed, but haven't needed to since.

Would be interested in seeing where others have installed specifically under steering wheel, etc.

I think my issue above was iOS 14.4, so luckily it's not a heating issue...
Old 01-28-2021 | 07:28 PM
Slickdvl
Pro

Mine is actually to the left of steering wheel - right on what I think is the main harness
Old 02-04-2021 | 02:35 PM
aa8023
5th Gear

Hi just installed joyauto but I have to press the button for joy auto to start, is there a way to initiate joyauto and CarPlay automatically?

Also I am receiving this static from joy auto aftermarket camera, any ideas?

Old 02-05-2021 | 09:40 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kayaknfly

not for 2016 cayennes.... I think the changeover was 2017 or 2018 for cayennes anyway.
2017 is first year based on research I did when buying my 17 CSehybrid. It works only when you have phone plugged in. I believe starting w/ the 19 and newer models it works over the air.

having car play was a requirement for me, that’s why I looked at model years starting with 2017.
Old 02-05-2021 | 10:44 AM
LittleBitBent
Instructor

Originally Posted by ziptbm
UPDATE - My iPhone took iOS 14.4 last night, so I tested a wired connection to the unit with a device on 14.3 and it worked as expected. My iPhone 12 Pro Max on iOS 14.4 is not allowing for touch screen input with the Joyeauto unit. Did a hard reboot on the phone and it appears to have resolved the touch responsiveness..... I'm still running the @konkab build from above that fixed the resolution issue. Has anyone else seen issues with iOS 14.4 and the Joyeauto unit?

Installed my Joyeauto retrofit in my 2014 Cayenne in April and have had no issues until today.

I'm in Michigan, so it's now getting pretty cold (10-20 degrees Fahrenheit). After about 1.5 hours of driving with the heat on, I noticed that the PCM touchscreen became somewhat unresponsive. The whole left-side (driver side) apps buttons would not select from touch or respond to the turn dial control, but I could still tap within Google Maps fine, just couldn't switch apps. I turned off the car, restarted, reconnected, same thing...but now the whole touchscreen within CarPlay was unresponsive to touch and turn dial control. What's interesting is that before my iPhone connected wirelessly, I could tap around within the Joyeauto menus without issue, but as soon as I got into CarPlay, it stopped responding to touch. Normal PCM menus work fine as well.

Has anyone seen an unresponsive touch screen in CarPlay with their Joyeauto units?

The unit itself is positioned behind the PCM, but it sounds like installing behind the glovebox or under the steering wheel may be better options...especially for situations like this. I'm wondering if having the heat on is having an impact on the Joyeauto unit. Anyone else see touch issues in colder climates with the heater on?

I'm going to give it some time to cool down and try again, and also try with some other iPhones (mine took iOS 14.4 last night).
I have 14.4 on my 8+ and I haven’t noticed any weirdness at all, and I’m a few hours northeast of you. Did it resolve itself?
Old 02-05-2021 | 12:46 PM
ziptbm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LittleBitBent
I have 14.4 on my 8+ and I haven’t noticed any weirdness at all, and I’m a few hours northeast of you. Did it resolve itself?

Haven’t seen the issue again since the reboot. Weird.
Old 02-05-2021 | 01:16 PM
TMC.
Racer

Originally Posted by aa8023
Hi just installed joyauto but I have to press the button for joy auto to start, is there a way to initiate joyauto and CarPlay automatically?

Also I am receiving this static from joy auto aftermarket camera, any ideas?
Check your ground, connections then if possible connect a new camera to the back of the radio temporarily to test it.
Old 02-08-2021 | 07:01 PM
Panda88
5th Gear

Hi
What are the correct BT settings to make carplay work seamless on Joyeauto (Cayenne PCM 3.1)
Currently I have to go to my phone's BT and select joyeauto to start carplay after starting the car - if I press navi is end up at the setup screen (I have the red wire wired in parallel to the existing PCM fuse (51))
I am confused how to connect the BT - Do I need my existing phone to PCM BT connection? or should it be deleted?
Should the carplay unit be paired to the PCM?
Everything seems fine most of the time besides from not auto connecting when powering on the car
I am on IOS14.4

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2021 | 03:50 AM
Maxime MrCom
Cruisin'

Hello, tried to install JoyeAuto on my Cayenne but screen is blue and faded on CarPlay interface but also on original menus... when I remove JoyeAuto card, all become normal again.. hardware default or installation error ? :/

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )