997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM3 iPod/Aux Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019 | 05:20 AM
stef1808
Intermediate

glad Vincent was sorted but any more info on retrofitting an AUX into my PCM3?
Old 11-26-2019 | 01:35 PM
LFB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stef1808
I may be in the same boat as you. I have a 997 with PCM3, factory bluetooth (which is famously for phone audio only), but no other inputs to the PCM3 - no connections under the armrest.

The majority of posts that I've read about adding aux, iphone/ipod, or Bluetooth audio are either only applicable to PCM2, or only work for cars that are already equipped with the Universal Audio Interface under the armrest. It seems like we mainly have two options, short of replacing the PCM3 with an aftermarket head unit:

Option 1: buy the original equipment Universal Audio Interface from a vendor like Suncoast, who will also provide the VIN-locked activation code that is needed for a PIWIS to enable the aux option. After install, pay your local dealer to make the coding change.
Option 2: buy something like one of the Becker cables I linked above (they have 3.5mm, Bluetooth audio, and Apple Lightning variants), and go to a source like this to get the VIN-locked activation code: Activation Code for PCM 3.0 and PCM 3.1. After install, pay your local dealer to make the coding change.
Old 11-26-2019 | 01:44 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Stef1808 - I apologize if I was hijacking your thread but I figured this is the same subject so why create more chaos? I really do hope you get yours sorted, I'm sure these fine gentlemen will have an answer for you.
I haven't tried the DVD - option source yet but will do so this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 11-26-2019 | 02:01 PM
grey2011s
Advanced

well, while we are on plugging stuff into the pcm. is there a way to have your phones google maps show on the screen?
Old 11-26-2019 | 02:01 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

I have a related issue question. I got the 30 pin to lightning adapter, and successfully can use my phone on the 'ipod' input source on the PCM. However, the sound quality is TERRIBLE compared to that when I use the bluetooth adapter and use the AUX input option. Anyone else experienced this/have any insight? Bluetooth on AUX is crystal clear but iPod input mode with PCM cable has very muddy and muted sound
Old 11-26-2019 | 07:29 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LFB
To get Aux to show up on the list of source options, try this: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13990575

Here is an option to have an Apple lightning cable connection directly into the aux function of your PCM3 (you would likely have to disconnect universal audo interface aux port in your armrest): https://www.beckerautosound.com/porsche
No dice, I tried getting into the "disc" mode and then option tab and nothing comes up for the AUX. I even stuck a CD in and all that did was play music from the CD. Stumped....
Old 11-26-2019 | 11:01 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stef1808
Two ways that I know of for doing it,
1) Buy the AUX input option from your Porsche dealer they will install the hardware and code the PCM to enable the inputs

2) If you don't want to do the above you can find an indy with a PWIS and buy the code off the web (google Porsche PCM code), the indy has to enter the code and then you can either a) buy the Porsche cable and fit it to your car or b) buy the Becker AUX input cable for $30 that just gives you the 3.5mm jack input

Hope this helps...
Old 11-26-2019 | 11:05 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tj40
1) Buy the AUX input option from your Porsche dealer they will install the hardware and code the PCM to enable the inputs

2) If you don't want to do the above you can find an indy with a PWIS and buy the code off the web (google Porsche PCM code), the indy has to enter the code and then you can either a) buy the Porsche cable and fit it to your car or b) buy the Becker AUX input cable for $30 that just gives you the 3.5mm jack input

Hope this helps...
Looks like my car already came with the AUX, USB, ipod input but I need the PCM code to make it work. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-27-2019 | 12:11 PM
stef1808
Intermediate

Hope this helps...
Great help thank you

Originally Posted by Vincent713
Stef1808 - I apologize if I was hijacking your thread but I figured this is the same subject so why create more chaos? I really do hope you get yours sorted, I'm sure these fine gentlemen will have an answer for you.
I haven't tried the DVD - option source yet but will do so this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed.
All good ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
Old 12-03-2019 | 07:07 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LFB
I may be in the same boat as you. I have a 997 with PCM3, factory bluetooth (which is famously for phone audio only), but no other inputs to the PCM3 - no connections under the armrest.

The majority of posts that I've read about adding aux, iphone/ipod, or Bluetooth audio are either only applicable to PCM2, or only work for cars that are already equipped with the Universal Audio Interface under the armrest. It seems like we mainly have two options, short of replacing the PCM3 with an aftermarket head unit:

Option 1: buy the original equipment Universal Audio Interface from a vendor like Suncoast, who will also provide the VIN-locked activation code that is needed for a PIWIS to enable the aux option. After install, pay your local dealer to make the coding change.
Option 2: buy something like one of the Becker cables I linked above (they have 3.5mm, Bluetooth audio, and Apple Lightning variants), and go to a source like this to get the VIN-locked activation code: Activation Code for PCM 3.0 and PCM 3.1. After install, pay your local dealer to make the coding change.
I went to the porsche code website you provided and have sent them a message twice but haven't gotten a reply. Is there any other way to contact them to get the code?
Old 12-07-2019 | 05:37 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vincent713
I went to the porsche code website you provided and have sent them a message twice but haven't gotten a reply. Is there any other way to contact them to get the code?
did they get back to you? There are a couple of people offering this service if you look around.

Old 12-07-2019 | 11:29 PM
uncle_sam
Advanced

@Vincent713: I had similar setup with my SonicAux BT device plugged into USB socket and 3.5mm phone jack. Could not get DISC/AUX to appear on Source menu. You should insert 1-CD in the slot! The Disc/Aux comes out the choose Aux. it’ll stream your phone’s audio playlist.
Old 12-08-2019 | 03:52 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

did they get back to you? There are a couple of people offering this service if you look around.
No they have not reply after 2 attempts.
Old 12-08-2019 | 03:54 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by uncle_sam
@Vincent713: I had similar setup with my SonicAux BT device plugged into USB socket and 3.5mm phone jack. Could not get DISC/AUX to appear on Source menu. You should insert 1-CD in the slot! The Disc/Aux comes out the choose Aux. it’ll stream your phone’s audio playlist.
I tried that, stuck a CD in and all I saw was "disc" no aux.

Quick Reply: PCM3 iPod/Aux Install