Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 04:04 PM
BOLEN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

The voice quality is actually better. My mic is mounted up near the rear view mirror and it is mounted to a soft surface [ which makes the vibration less and audio quality better] I would choose to mount it on the roof / soft lining near the mirror for better quality.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:56 PM
emptyo
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the updates. How do we know which PCM we have? I'm picking up a 2010 Panamera 4S, and I can't tell by the VIN what it has.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 PM
BOLEN
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually by the factory build records, but the PCM will have a build number if you navigate to it through the menu
Old 03-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by quantz
Does the mic work properly from that position? I understand that this mic is the one that is going to be used for phone calls with Apple car play instead the original one? I am very concerned about loosing voice quality for handsfree phone use. Thanks!
In my system while connected to CarPlay, you can choose if you like to receive/make calls either from Carplay or the PCM, Two BT connections pair simultaneously (PCM and Idcore multimedia module). Both sound equally well, although I much prefer to manage my calls through the Airplay system since it’s more intuitive and user friendly. My MIC is installed hidden in the steering column where I can't see it. No vibrations at all, just clean phone audio.
I learned today to connect to wireless CarPlay and I am thrilled, music audio quality is superb, same as Audio BT, I will never go wired again!

Last edited by Galion; 03-27-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:54 PM
quantz
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Galion, your system looks great, indeed!

So you have choice to choose if you like to receive/make calls either from Carplay or the PCMfor every incoming call, or you choose once?

You now have two bluetooth connections simultaneously paired. I see in the instructions of your module that it has a WIFI antenna port, so I understand that iPhone wireless connection should use WIFI instead bluetooth. Do you have choice to connect to wifi? It would have bigger bandwidth.

The extra USB connection from the CarPlay module is not clear to me yet. It is not enough with the original bluetooth port to connect to to CarPlay thru PCM 3.1?

Originally Posted by Galion
In my system while connected to CarPlay, you can choose if you like to receive/make calls either from Carplay or the PCM, Two BT connections pair simultaneously (PCM and Idcore multimedia module). Both sound equally well, although I much prefer to manage my calls through the Airplay system since it’s more intuitive and user friendly. My MIC is installed hidden in the steering column where I can't see it. No vibrations at all, just clean phone audio.
I learned today to connect to wireless CarPlay and I am thrilled, music audio quality is superb, same as Audio BT, I will never go wired again!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by quantz
Galion, your system looks great, indeed!

So you have choice to choose if you like to receive/make calls either from Carplay or the PCMfor every incoming call, or you choose once?

You now have two bluetooth connections simultaneously paired. I see in the instructions of your module that it has a WIFI antenna port, so I understand that iPhone wireless connection should use WIFI instead bluetooth. Do you have choice to connect to wifi? It would have bigger bandwidth.

The extra USB connection from the CarPlay module is not clear to me yet. It is not enough with the original bluetooth port to connect to to CarPlay thru PCM 3.1?
You have to choose once which BT you prefer while connected to AirPlay . You'll see that two connect simultaneously (PCM/IDCORE) although you can change your selection any time you want without interrupting anything.

I don’t think its possible to connect to WIFI since I can’t find a network related to the system, although I do have that antenna tucked somewhere behind the PCM.
It’s still a bit confusing to me since I needed to turn on my phone WiFi to pair with wireless CarPlay, check the tutorial below.

You also have the choice how to connect to CarPlay, either wirelessly or through the powered USB port. I don’t use the USB anymore since my phone automatically pairs to wireless CarPlay as soon as I turn the car on and my PCM is in AUX.
Note that the system can also play any multimedia archive from that extra USB port.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:46 PM
quantz
6th Gear

Now is clear. I find your interface very interesting.

It seems Bluetooth alone would not be robust enough to transmit large amounts of data between the two devices, so the data transfer between the iPhone and receiver would have to happen via Bluetooth & Wi-Fi or some combination of the two. Nice to see that this system offers great sound quality.

Originally Posted by Galion
You have to choose once which BT you prefer while connected to AirPlay . You'll see that two connect simultaneously (PCM/IDCORE) although you can change your selection any time you want without interrupting anything.

I don’t think its possible to connect to WIFI since I can’t find a network related to the system, although I do have that antenna tucked somewhere behind the PCM.
It’s still a bit confusing to me since I needed to turn on my phone WiFi to pair with wireless CarPlay, check the tutorial below.

You also have the choice how to connect to CarPlay, either wirelessly or through the powered USB port. I don’t use the USB anymore since my phone automatically pairs to wireless CarPlay as soon as I turn the car on and my PCM is in AUX.
Note that the system can also play any multimedia archive from that extra USB port.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:43 PM
maxboxa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the posted info!
Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 AM
KOTYKB
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 63 Posts

Does anyone know how the "CarPlay" system updates its software since its not real Apple CarPlay? Does it utilize your iPhone CarPlay software or will it continue to get more dated each year?
Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 AM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KOTYKB
Does anyone know how the "CarPlay" system updates its software since its not real Apple CarPlay? Does it utilize your iPhone CarPlay software or will it continue to get more dated each year?
If you get yours from Nick in the UK there is a link to a cloud based file storage with few updates, i think the latest was March/2019.
in any case to update this android system you will need an image files for the system and another for the program each installed via the USB slot using flash drive
Old 06-05-2019, 02:43 AM
pitrow
Track Day

I've been looking into something like this for a couple of reasons:
  1. I'd love to update my wife's 2013 Panamera to get CarPlay/Android Auto functionality
  2. I'm in the market for a Cayenne and ideally looking for a GTS. The only reason I've been looking at a '17 over a '16 is Carplay, but the price jump to go up to a '17 GTS is $10K-$15K and I don't think it's really worth that much more to add in CarPlay and 1 additional year of warranty.
If this is a reliable solution that also wouldn't impact my CPO warranty if I go with a '16 I'd be pretty happy. A few questions:
- For those of you that have had this unit for a while, any issues, or does it feel pretty OEM? I can handle some extra button click workarounds, but my wife would probably not be happy if it was overly complicated to get to it and to switch between Carplay and XM/Radio.
- Does the unit do both CarPlay and Android Auto, or are they separate units? My wife is iPhone, I'm Android. I was planning to switch if I went with a '17 for the CarPlay, but if I didn't have to I'd be happy and would also ideally want my wife to be able to user her iPhone while I could stay on Android in the same car.

Thanks for all the great posts from everyone who's made the jump on this, really helpful info here.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:33 AM
kurdoc
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by element
You need risers and it all fits - my response from another thread - you can buy risers on amazon really easy.

Mine is all installed.. I had the PCM + XM Radio and needed additional 25mm x2.5 risers and everything fits in (its tight, but fits no problem putting the DVD player back on). I put the box under the glove box since it was too tight behind the PCM. After pulling everything apart 4x im really quick at the process now!
Hi Galion,
Can you please PM me the link for the risers you use?
Thanks!!
Old 06-07-2019, 12:46 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Couple questions about these systems.

1. Does the PCM stay on the CarPlay source on start-up? That is my biggest complaint about the 3.1 system is that it does not stay on Bluetooth and reverts to tuner,
2. Can you change tracks using the steering wheel diamond button (providing you have that set up)
3. How quickly does it connect after start up?
Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the info on this, I'm also super interested in adding CarPlay. It looks like Nick won't ship to the US but I've found them on Aliexpress and been in contact with the seller.

I'm also curious what the startup procedure is when you get in the car. Does it pair faster than the stock PCM unit? Any annoying workarounds or other procedures?

thanks!

Misha
Old 06-07-2019, 11:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Couple questions about these systems.

1. Does the PCM stay on the CarPlay source on start-up? That is my biggest complaint about the 3.1 system is that it does not stay on Bluetooth and reverts to tuner,
2. Can you change tracks using the steering wheel diamond button (providing you have that set up)
3. How quickly does it connect after start up?
I think the reason for #1 is not the PCM, it's your key memory. Was your key was last used to lock the car remotely (with the key button) when the tuner was selected as the source?

Try setting the source as Bluetooth and then getting out of the car and locking it using the key button. I'd also select "SET" on the door - and press whatever memory button you're using - that also saves it - but only to the button (the key has priority over the buttons..)

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )