Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 10:37 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Got everything installed and working. So far.... not impressed at all. The work I put in to run certain wires and make this super clean...... I'm not impressed and don't think it's worth the $$. At least not with an android phone.

It just mirrors my screen vertically until I flip my phone, then it's full screen. I think with iPhone and CarPlay it probably looks better.

I'd go for the Tesla style screen or nothing at all if comparing to this JoyAuto. Install wasnt a joy for me.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:55 PM
Boomer80
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Got everything installed and working. So far.... not impressed at all. The work I put in to run certain wires and make this super clean...... I'm not impressed and don't think it's worth the $$. At least not with an android phone.

It just mirrors my screen vertically until I flip my phone, then it's full screen. I think with iPhone and CarPlay it probably looks better.

I'd go for the Tesla style screen or nothing at all if comparing to this JoyAuto. Install wasnt a joy for me.
This is why I’ve been reluctant to go through with the actual PCM disassembly. Although I’m an iPhone user and might actually like it better, I’m also nervous about doing anything that might impact my CPO warranty. To me the PCM radio is the most disappointing and dated aspect of the vehicle. Well I got it and fortunately I don’t have to or particularly want to install this just yet. Maybe I should just offer it for sale at a discounted price. 🥴
Old 01-01-2020, 04:00 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Boomer80
This is why I’ve been reluctant to go through with the actual PCM disassembly. Although I’m an iPhone user and might actually like it better, I’m also nervous about doing anything that might impact my CPO warranty. To me the PCM radio is the most disappointing and dated aspect of the vehicle. Well I got it and fortunately I don’t have to or particularly want to install this just yet. Maybe I should just offer it for sale at a discounted price. 🥴
If you have CPO, I wouldn't touch a single screw. A bumper screw may be blamed for say a varicose failure by dealers. I'm sure someone else wants it. The only way they find out is if they need to dig inside the dash.

BTW, PCM disassembly was easy. Difficulty for me was snaking a wire from center storage to the radio area. Followed by putting the radio back in with all those wires plus the android box.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:08 AM
kari
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

The default with the carplay box is 'Android Mirroring' which is what you describe. I didn't like that too and went exploring in the settings menu - there is an option to switch from 'Android mirroring' to 'Android auto'. Once you switch to the Android Auto option, you get the 'Android Auto' experience which is the same in any android auto enabled vehicle. The only limitation is that Android Auto is supported only in wired mode whereas iphone/iOS Is supported in both wired and wireless modes.
Old 01-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Would doing this mod really invalidate a CPO warranty? Would love to do this to my wife's '13 we just bought yesterday, but don't want to lose out on the 2 years of coverage. If it's safe, I'd be interested in buying that one if you don't want to install it.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:13 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kari
The default with the carplay box is 'Android Mirroring' which is what you describe. I didn't like that too and went exploring in the settings menu - there is an option to switch from 'Android mirroring' to 'Android auto'. Once you switch to the Android Auto option, you get the 'Android Auto' experience which is the same in any android auto enabled vehicle. The only limitation is that Android Auto is supported only in wired mode whereas iphone/iOS Is supported in both wired and wireless modes.
I'm good with that. I keep it charging all the time. How do I get to that?
Old 01-01-2020, 01:36 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Please ignore....

I didn't realize I can scroll up on the JoyAuto settings screen.

Now I'm happy. This is exactly what I wanted.

Now... what's CarLife setting? Anyone know?
Old 01-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Would doing this mod really invalidate a CPO warranty? Would love to do this to my wife's '13 we just bought yesterday, but don't want to lose out on the 2 years of coverage. If it's safe, I'd be interested in buying that one if you don't want to install it.
You would lose any warranty related to the PCM. They can't say, at least in the US, that your entire warranty is void due to a change in some unrelated part. I mean if you have a TC failure they'd be hard pressed to blame the PCM for that.

You can refer to the Magnuson-Moss warranty act for more details.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:58 PM
kari
Instructor

1: Ensure the phone is not connected to the unit
2. Click Setup. In the list of Settings, there is an option called 'Smartphone' under the Device category
3. You will get a list of settings one of which is 'Android device' . This setting has 2 options to choose from - AutoLink and AndroidAuto - the default is 'AutoLink'. Change it to Android Auto
4. Then connect your device
Old 01-01-2020, 02:01 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Tom. I feel like I'm willing to risk the PCM portion of the warranty as my real concerns are the big ticket items. But considering we've owned the car for 14 hours now, I'm thinking I'll hold off and give her a few weeks to see if it's really a needed upgraded. If not, looks like a project for January 2022.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:12 PM
kari
Instructor

Please ignore....

I didn't realize I can scroll up on the JoyAuto settings screen.

Now I'm happy. This is exactly what I wanted.

Now... what's CarLife setting? Anyone know?
Good to know.

The software is generic built for multiple car brands and variants with some final customization the the specific brand in question. CarLife is a Baidu based system for the Chinese market similar to Android Auto or Carplay.
https://technode.com/2015/01/28/baidu-carlife/
Old 01-05-2020, 04:53 AM
nairpic20
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JoyAuto for PCM 3.1

Hi,

I’ve also ordered the kit from JoyAuto. I think the installation was straightforward.

PROs:
Audio quality is the same or better, call quality the same(using the car’s bluetooth for calls, but with carPlay information style), feels like a new car .
It connects automatically when I start the engine and fast ( 5-30s ). I’ve done it for waze .

CONs:
currently nothing to say, installed yesterday

Issues:

1) don’t know if it’s my installation or something they missed when they designed the logic for the power cable. I connected the acc fuse cable to get power only when I turn the key, normal ACC behavior. But when I turn the engine off, the screen of the pcm goes black. The pcm can be used, but without the screen(check video). From my point of view is normal, because I cut the power of the carplay module and doesn’t get enough time to switch. If I manually go out of the carPlay, the pcm will work when I turn the engine off.
Do you have the same behavior or did you link the acc on permanent power? I’m afraid that this will drain the battery.
video:

2) I noticed that rear middle speakers doesn’t work. Not even on the normal pcm, I’m not sure if it was like this or I messed something with the installation. Don’t think the installation is the reason, because I have fiber optics and usually if you have issues here should restart the unit.

from my point of view, is worth it.
The following users liked this post:
KOTYKB (01-05-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 07:15 PM
H2Ocooledesteem
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Has anyone used an aftermarket backup camera that is bluetooth? I would like to know where you tapped the power source in the rear?
I would also like to know where everyone is placing the joyeauto module at?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:40 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

1) don’t know if it’s my installation or something they missed when they designed the logic for the power cable. I connected the acc fuse cable to get power only when I turn the key, normal ACC behavior. But when I turn the engine off, the screen of the pcm goes black. The pcm can be used, but without the screen(check video). From my point of view is normal, because I cut the power of the carplay module and doesn’t get enough time to switch. If I manually go out of the carPlay, the pcm will work when I turn the engine off.
Do you have the same behavior or did you link the acc on permanent power? I’m afraid that this will drain the battery.
video:

2) I noticed that rear middle speakers doesn’t work. Not even on the normal pcm, I’m not sure if it was like this or I messed something with the installation. Don’t think the installation is the reason, because I have fiber optics and usually if you have issues here should restart the unit.

from my point of view, is worth it.

Geez, you really tore into it good. I used a snake to get all the wires through. For the USB, I snaked that into the armwrest.

1. Pretty sure there's an additional delayed power to the PCM. But the power location you tapped into is ignition ON. Find a location that has ON with insertion of Key like the PCM. I have the same experience and was going to find a spare tap that does this. I'll report back if I dont see a post about it.

2. Make sure you plugged your fiber in the correct spot. The harness I received had a broken plastic tab that holds the fiber in place. I put 1 loop of electrical tape on the fiber connector and forced it into the location on the chinese harness. Then used a small ziptie behind it so it has no room to back out. Plugged it all it and works. Check fiber.

My issue is actually that sometimes the app crashes or when I put in the address in waze, it blacks out. I then have to reset the JoyAuto and my phone.

I'm thinking update is needed on JoyAuto. Havent checked where to get the update.
The following users liked this post:
nairpic20 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:40 AM
nairpic20
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geez, you really tore into it good. I used a snake to get all the wires through. For the USB, I snaked that into the armwrest.

1. Pretty sure there's an additional delayed power to the PCM. But the power location you tapped into is ignition ON. Find a location that has ON with insertion of Key like the PCM. I have the same experience and was going to find a spare tap that does this. I'll report back if I dont see a post about it.

2. Make sure you plugged your fiber in the correct spot. The harness I received had a broken plastic tab that holds the fiber in place. I put 1 loop of electrical tape on the fiber connector and forced it into the location on the chinese harness. Then used a small ziptie behind it so it has no room to back out. Plugged it all it and works. Check fiber.

My issue is actually that sometimes the app crashes or when I put in the address in waze, it blacks out. I then have to reset the JoyAuto and my phone.

I'm thinking update is needed on JoyAuto. Havent checked where to get the update.
) I tried to put the carPlay module over the glove box, for a good ventilation.

1. The location tapped is indeed for ignition ON, because this is the default behaviour for an ACC cable. I have a Thinkware camera with permanent power and acc cable to know when the engine is on, same could have been done for this module. From my knowledge, we have fuses with permanent power and power when ignition is on. The ones(devices like pcm, interior lights...) that are turned off after a certain time are controlled by Central Electronics that is using a 30 terminal that can disconnect the power(closes only the "-") but you still have voltage on the fuse.
I can connect to permanent power, but I don't know if the module has sleep mode and I don't want to have it on permanently, for sure will drain the car's battery. My solution is to make a timer device that will cut power after a set period of time after ignition is turned off.
if you find a solution, please let me know.

2. with the fiber connector, should be a closed circuit... so if there are issues, nothing should work or I'm mistaken ... will do some testing this weekend

Thanks for your reply

Quick Reply: CarPlay Retrofit in PCM 3.1 Cayenne 2013 ( With Pictures )