Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Air Suspension Not Possible : I will defeat it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 01:45 PM
ATSAaron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll bump this thread because 1) we are going through the same problems and 2) this was the best one I have found so far dealing with this.

What is the best DIY diagnostic software for this? Durametric is useless. The Shop we took it to to use the PIWIS charged us $65 to print out the same code the Durametric showed us and seemed unwilling to look at any of the live data. I saw iCarScan mentioned earlier in the thread?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 07-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,605 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Just read through this whole thread and knfeparty you are to be commended!

Add me to the list of people who are glad they specc'd steel springs. We don't tow and don't offroad, so knew they were overkill. Since our CD currently is almost at 80k and the wife shows no signs of wanting to let it go any time soon, I'm happy I suck with the steel suspension!
Old 11-17-2019, 12:37 AM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Durametric (enthusiast at least) can not on the 958. Really annoying.

I have a friend at the dealer helping me, so yeah we have been using the real deal tool. Height sensors pass all the tests. It has been a semi-informed process. We knew the valve block was bad because it was throwing a fault for pressure sensor failure, which cleared after valve block replacement. We knew the 3-way valve on the *new* compressor had a bad connection due to the code it threw. We knew the rear right strut was leaking because of the readout from the scan tool.

There's no good way to test the module, unfortunately. I'm beginning to suspect it more all the time. At the very least I think I'm going to remove enough interior to inspect it for any signs of water damage (that may have occurred from sunroof drain failure, possibly before my ownership).

What was the end item that solved it? I’ve taken my car in for the air suspension twice, and now it’s just out of warranty. 🤦‍♂️ 2015 Cayenne S, 54k miles and I have 0312 (battery positive voltage below limit), 257 (pressure sensor which sounds like the valve block problem), 220 (valve solenoid on-time exceeded), and 284 (car too high or low).

hmm. I use a icarsoft on a 958.2. Is there a way to know if it’s the compressor, valve block, or leaking strut? This week I heard the compressor kick on after cold starts and give me an odd noise and error message on strut error but ok to drive , and now it’s a full chassis failure and park the car. I’m a DIYer but should I just take it to the dealer for diagnosis/repair? Could they even say what’s needed and quote it or basically have to pull it all out? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:21 AM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by John Young
What was the end item that solved it? I’ve taken my car in for the air suspension twice, and now it’s just out of warranty. 🤦‍♂️ 2015 Cayenne S, 54k miles and I have 0312 (battery positive voltage below limit), 257 (pressure sensor which sounds like the valve block problem), 220 (valve solenoid on-time exceeded), and 284 (car too high or low).

hmm. I use a icarsoft on a 958.2. Is there a way to know if it’s the compressor, valve block, or leaking strut? This week I heard the compressor kick on after cold starts and give me an odd noise and error message on strut error but ok to drive , and now it’s a full chassis failure and park the car. I’m a DIYer but should I just take it to the dealer for diagnosis/repair? Could they even say what’s needed and quote it or basically have to pull it all out? Thanks in advance for any advice.
How far out of warranty are you? You said you've had it in twice for the suspension, I'd bring it back and tell them they didn't do it right the first two times.
The following users liked this post:
Leadfoot_mf (04-16-2020)
Old 11-17-2019, 12:22 PM
John Young
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
How far out of warranty are you? You said you've had it in twice for the suspension, I'd bring it back and tell them they didn't do it right the first two times.
Yeah- this has to be related. About 6months, and car is at 54k miles. When I left the dealer last time after the suspension isssue I called them that the compressor seems to linger on and I could hear it, but everything was working. Might have over stressed it and was not fully fixed last time. At this point basically going to take to the dealer and see what they can figure out.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:26 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSAaron
What is the best DIY diagnostic software for this? Durametric is useless. The Shop we took it to to use the PIWIS charged us $65 to print out the same code the Durametric showed us and seemed unwilling to look at any of the live data. I saw iCarScan mentioned earlier in the thread?
The only thing a scanner can do is assist in pointing you where to look to do further diagnosis. Do not accept a "code" as proof that a particular part needs replacing. In many cases, all you will end up doing is replacing a bunch of parts that may not even have had an issue. A true shop manual is very helpful in situations like this.
Old 11-21-2019, 03:32 PM
John Young
Instructor

Update on the my current Air Suspension saga.

I took the 958.2 CS to my dealer on Monday. I found one corner- passenger front was lower than the rest. They replaced a fuse, and then everything was tested, ride height, compressor etc. Given a clean bill of health by Tuesday, but later during a somewhat cold start, I heard a 'Brrrrrrrrptptptptpt' noise for 3-4seconds that evening. Same thing next morning. But no yellow messages or red ones. Now I have a Red Chassis system fault again this morning. Any ideas what it could be? Leaking strut from that one corner being down? Or compressor from the odd noise? I have to make another dealer appt, but it seems the true root cause is not addressed. Is this a nightmare for the dealer mechanics to solve? Friendly chat seemed to indicate several air suspension SUV and Panameras were in for similar issues.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,743 Posts

It’s your right front strut. Most
comkon strut to fail.

I have. Rebuilt front set I’m willing to sell for $1,000.

I’ll even charge it with nitrogen so all
you have to do is install and turn on the car.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:17 AM
carbonm
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can anyone confirm the location for replacing the compressor relay? Also if replacing value block - can that be done as DIy or is dealer needed?
Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 PM
427COBRA
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
It’s your right front strut. Most
comkon strut to fail.

I have. Rebuilt front set I’m willing to sell for $1,000.

I’ll even charge it with nitrogen so all
you have to do is install and turn on the car.
R Audi
Did you buy the Porsche nitrogen kit or rig your own?
Old 01-05-2020, 03:51 AM
pktjody
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a diagram of the leveling system components for a Cayenne 2011-2017
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Leveling System Components.pdf (109.0 KB, 760 views)
Old 01-05-2020, 04:51 AM
pktjody
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is gold. great post.

I am in a lot of the same mess.

Im 2 struts, a compressor, and a piwis 2 scanner deep in mine, and my next move is valve block too. Its down to that, or the control module. Hope its not that, lol.

Repairs are possible on your own, if you have access to a lift. Im researching a home jack lift system of my own at the moment.

I bought a copy of the service manual of rockauto, and a chinese clone piwis 2 scanner off a site called autonumen. Its from china and takes like a month to get, but one of the guys working on my car with me is a former porsche dealership mechanic and he said its exactly what they have in the dealership. I paid about a grand for it, but so worth it. Already paid for itself 5 times in 6 months lol.

Your post is a fantastic synapis of all the really necessary but hard to assemble details of this frustrating issue.

My dealership guy and other mechanic worked out a fill system using the low pressure side (blue) of an automotive ac fill kit (described backwards from accumulator to air source) with the accumulator adapter (VW tool T10157), to low pressure automotive ac fill valve (blue) to the air source and regulator. Max fill is 17 bars, min fill 10. I suggest renting a bottle of nitrogen from a welding shop. Should come with a regulator, the rest is easy to piece together.

Valve block failures in the air suspension at the compressor are apparently pretty rare, or at least a lot less likely. I had a couple of prolonged leaks that the compressor replaced with normal ambient air for far too long so i killed mine with moisture, but there are some ebay options for less than 300 for replacement, and they are a quick job.

If you have a lift, lol

jayi836 (09-17-2021)
Old 01-05-2020, 02:54 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,946 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Originally Posted by pktjody
I suggest renting a bottle of nitrogen from a welding shop. Should come with a regulator, the rest is easy to piece together.

I wouldn't do this. You need grade 5 and I'm not sure if welding nitrogen is grade 5.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
cgo911t (03-07-2021), PhilT3 (PT3) (08-10-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 09:22 AM
8389D
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air suspension woes finally fixed

Hi guys, just thought I’d share some of my experience with the air suspension issues I’ve been having.

1. Front right and left was dipping overnight, noticed compressor running whilst driving for extended periods of time, and one time when stopped compressor ran right front lifted compressor stopped and right front dipped a bit.
Right seemed always to dip further than left.

Where I am labour is cheap, parts are new from dealer or used(imported) from outside workshops. I went with an imported original which I regretted but had no choice at the time.

Replaced the bag using original fork, still sagged a bit and was driving me crazy.

2. After reading the forums had the valve block tested, no leaks and mechanic said quite rare more than likely the front bag leaking from the left (some right was swapped) and could be inner bag so only can be tested by taking it off.
(note this is a different Indy than the first shop that did the replacement)

Took off the left this time. Tested it under pressure and surely enough was leaking, replaced with chinese bag from AliExpress.

Drove for a few days but right front would still sag a bit overnight, left was much better. Went back to mechanic swapped the used bag I put in 4-5 months ago for the new chinese bag from AliExpress.

FIXED NO MORE LEAKS, NO MORE COMPRESSOR FREQUENTLY RUNNING🙏🙏🙏

I know some of the members bought chinese bags and were criticized, however where I am there are no wrecks we can salvage parts. All used parts are imported, and the other option is dealer which is about $6k usd for 4 bags.

My cost was:
used bag and fitting usd $850 (turned out faulty and I had a bad feeling from day 1 about this)

2x $35usd for left and right install
2x $180 usd (approx) for the front chinese bags
2x rear bags as a spare.

So far I would honestly have to say I’m really happy with the ride quality and the parts supplied with the new bag.

If installation would have cost a few hundred dollars each I probably would have gone with an oem new or used from a wrecker but in this case I didn’t know the root cause and simply had enough so bought all 4 bags from AliExpress.

If I we’re asked I would recommend considering the AliExpress bags if you were open to the idea.

The link for the bags is below for those who may be interested, and goodluck hopefully this helps.

Tried to upload some videos of the original bags that were pressure tested and failed but couldn’t.

AU $212.04 24% Off | Luftfederung 2010-2012 Right Front Air Shock Air Bag Suspension Air Shock Air Ride Fit Audi Q7 CAYENNE VWTOUAGE 7P6616040N
https://a.aliexpress.com/efhqFrC4

AU $212.04 24% Off | Luftfederung 2010-2012 Left Front Air Ride Suspension-Air Strut Air Bag Repair Kit Fit Audi Q7 CAYENNE VW TOUAGE 7P6616039N
https://a.aliexpress.com/KbpWbpnw

AU $424.09 24% Off | Luftfederung 2pcs 2011-2016 Rear Air Ride Shock Absorber Suspension Kit Fit Audi Q7 VW Touareg Cayenne 7P6601020K(019KL)
https://a.aliexpress.com/dTVvLSeG

New bag from the Alibaba link

New left and right bag packaging from Aliexpress

Left front after being installed to the original fork and pressure tested.

Left front sagging overnight

Right front overnight
TyreReviews (10-17-2022)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:52 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Knfeparty

I’m trying to send a pm to knfeparty but your pm ‘inbox’ is full. Can you clear some out please so I can send you the message? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Not Possible : I will defeat it.