Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Air Suspension Not Possible : I will defeat it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 02:13 PM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TyreReviews
I've not read anyone who's been able to tell the car there's no air suspension anymore after switching to coils!
I did something.
It was about 2:30am, I was at my building mucking around after too many beers, and I no longer had air suspension.
If I try to initialize it or test it, I get an error message that you'd see when it has an issue, but once I save things and reset the car, it's gone again.
I only played with it for about 20 minutes trying to fix it. I got cold and decided to drive my jeep until spring.
I haven't connected a PIWIS yet,I'm pretty sure whatever I did was with an X431
Old 02-22-2024, 01:06 AM
TMC.
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TMC.
I did something.
It was about 2:30am, I was at my building mucking around after too many beers, and I no longer had air suspension.
If I try to initialize it or test it, I get an error message that you'd see when it has an issue, but once I save things and reset the car, it's gone again.
I only played with it for about 20 minutes trying to fix it. I got cold and decided to drive my jeep until spring.
I haven't connected a PIWIS yet,I'm pretty sure whatever I did was with an X431
Follow up:
I grabbed one of the Toughbook PIWIS 2 systems I had earmarked to list on eBay, connected it, and did a factory reset on my PASM.
Fixed it immediately.
I did a vehicle handover and poked around in a few other things I was curious about.
I guess that was easy enough.
I still wish I knew what I did to disable the whole damn system.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (02-22-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 02:13 AM
driftmotion
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

was hoping someone can help me interpret this data I got from my 13 S with the chassis system failure whenever it's cold and trying to raise beyond normal mode

with suspension in normal mode, overnight it'll sink quite a bit

with jack mode off, it seems to isolate the bags? even after a few days of sitting, it doesn't dip as much

I would like to think right rear is the culprit being leaking, but with jack mode, it's the lowest, but without jack mode it's the highest? That's the part where I'm kinda confused. I tried spraying soapy water around the front strut air valve, don't think I saw any bubble, but the rear is kinda hard to access to spray unless the car is in the air
Old 08-07-2024, 08:49 PM
Svagis
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Reinstalling air suspension after it was removed for a while

Greetings, all. I've read through this thread, and Think I already know the answer to this, but I'm hopeful that someone here can confirm.

I bought a 2011 Cayenne Turbo form a guy that "Didn't like the dance it did when I parked it" and so removed the Air suspension, and installed TRQ Springs. TRQ probably came from 1-a auto parts. They are decent stuff for every day cheapskate driveway mechanics like I've been all my life. They are CLEARLY NOT meant to replace the air suspension. As a result, I now have a near-constant Chassis System Failure message in the right hand gauge screen. As a result, sport mode doesn't work. Near constant meaning that when I start driving, within 60-90 seconds, the failure warning comes on.
When I park the car, I can hear the system venting (probably actually trying to inflate the bags), and I can hear the compressor running. I _think_ the system is probably still functional.

Here's my questions:
If this is a nitrogen-filled, sealed system and it's been open for a year or more, is that repairable? Can I get it filled with nitrogen and will everything be ok?
Can I drive the car with flat air shocks, even for a short while between my driveway (or an indy shop) and a dealer who can fill my system?
What else am I not thinking of while trying to restore this car to its original state?
Old 08-08-2024, 01:40 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,984 Likes on 1,768 Posts

You no longer have air suspension! How much did you pay for this car?
Old 08-08-2024, 02:03 AM
Svagis
8th Gear

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
You no longer have air suspension! How much did you pay for this car?
Not very much... Less than 17k. The car runs well, it doesn't like the change in altitude, but I figure that will sort itself out.
Old 08-08-2024, 11:11 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Option 1 Code out the air suspension, if the compressor keeps running it will overheat of not already damaged. Pull the fuse on drivers side fuse box for now.
Option 2 Reinstall the AS system I would replace both front top mounts and O-rings then see where it takes you.
PM if you need assistance, been through AS hell already but seem to have things figured out over the past few years.
Svagis (08-08-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:05 PM
Svagis
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jayi836
Option 1 Code out the air suspension, if the compressor keeps running it will overheat of not already damaged. Pull the fuse on drivers side fuse box for now.
Option 2 Reinstall the AS system I would replace both front top mounts and O-rings then see where it takes you.
PM if you need assistance, been through AS hell already but seem to have things figured out over the past few years.
Thanks, Jay.

Can you answer the question about nitrogen and being a sealed system? Is the nitrogen system separate from the compressor? I'm a bit worried about the state of the system, and how much work will be required to dry/ clean it
Old 08-08-2024, 01:28 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 260 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Svagis
Thanks, Jay.

Can you answer the question about nitrogen and being a sealed system? Is the nitrogen system separate from the compressor? I'm a bit worried about the state of the system, and how much work will be required to dry/ clean it
It's sealed with everything intact.
Hopefully the color coded air lines were capped and not left open or cut.,
Pretty easy to inspect,
The N2 accumulator tank is covered up so is the compressor and valve block.

Search my posts on this subject.
Svagis (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 01:14 AM
Svagis
8th Gear

I'm pretty sure the lines were left open. That's the way the cheap hacks on the internet do it. I pulled the compressor fuse, thanks for the recommendation. I could hear the air hissing out whenever I'd turn it off.

Interesting - since I pulled the fuse, I'm no longer getting the "Chassis System Failure" message on the right display screen. I've got some shop time scheduled with a local indy shop this week.
If the lines are open, do you have recommendations for me to ask them to look at to check things?
You said earlier "It's sealed with everything intact" Do you mean to say that "with everything intact, it's a sealed system"? And now that it's not intact, I will have things to worry about?

Really appreciate your help here.
Old 08-13-2024, 07:02 PM
boldish
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

I went to drive (to a PPI) a Cayenne Turbo in my ideal spec that turned out to not have fully functional working air suspension (only works in the lowest or second lowest). I dropped the car off for a PPI and have been reading this thread and related threads.

Needless to say, I'm now very apprehensive to buy a used high mileage Cayenne Turbo with air suspension issues that I was not informed of. Seems like a nightmare to get diagnosed and fixed properly and expensive to do so even if you fix the thing correctly the first time.
Old 08-14-2024, 10:42 AM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by boldish
I went to drive (to a PPI) a Cayenne Turbo in my ideal spec that turned out to not have fully functional working air suspension (only works in the lowest or second lowest). I dropped the car off for a PPI and have been reading this thread and related threads.

Needless to say, I'm now very apprehensive to buy a used high mileage Cayenne Turbo with air suspension issues that I was not informed of. Seems like a nightmare to get diagnosed and fixed properly and expensive to do so even if you fix the thing correctly the first time.
You're right to be apprehensive about buying it without it fixed. The most common problem is just a leaking strut, which is easily (if expensively) replaced. Most don't have to chase the problem like this thread entails.

As someone who's replaced two front struts on my 175k-mile CTT, I wouldn't worry about buying it if the problem was remedied and it passed PPI. I would not take on the liability myself to fix it once the issue is known, though.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Not Possible : I will defeat it.