Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2015-16 Cayenne Diesel Purchase: clarification of 4/6/8/10 yr warranty coverage

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

I posted this in the dieselgate thread thought to share here too.
Here is an issue, Porsche has two different dates for our Cayenne, everyone has an In-Service date and a warranty expiration date. These should be the same date with the years reflecting the time spread the warranty is in effect. As we bought ours new we should get the original warranty and the added on extension.
In Porsche's record our In-Service date is correct, our warranty expiration date expired one month early. Just suggesting that folks here verify with their dealer the dates.
We had a couple of nits that we waited to get resolved - our dealer discovered the issue and is working with Porsche to resolve the dates.
In the interim dealer said they would take care of us regardless which is very nice!
Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM
motuman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been shopping for a CD and finding the dealers are not well informed and/or forthcoming with details of the extended warranty mentioned in Post #1..specifically the extended new car warranty mentioned on line 2:

2) 2 year Warranty extension: As a goodwill gesture in response to Dieselgate, Porsche extended the factory 4 year/4000 mile warranty to 6 year/unlimited mileage transferable warranty for all 2015 and 2016 Cayenne Diesels

Now that some time has gone by, can we be sure the 2 year Warranty extensions in effect on all '15 & '16 CD's? .
...but NOT the '14' MY?

I thought I read someone on this thread confirmed and extended 2 year warranty on a '14 MY, but perhaps that was a CPO vehicle?

Thanks to all!
Old 12-09-2018, 06:58 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by motuman
I've been shopping for a CD and finding the dealers are not well informed and/or forthcoming with details of the extended warranty mentioned in Post #1..specifically the extended new car warranty mentioned on line 2:

2) 2 year Warranty extension: As a goodwill gesture in response to Dieselgate, Porsche extended the factory 4 year/4000 mile warranty to 6 year/unlimited mileage transferable warranty for all 2015 and 2016 Cayenne Diesels

Now that some time has gone by, can we be sure the 2 year Warranty extensions in effect on all '15 & '16 CD's? .
...but NOT the '14' MY?

I thought I read someone on this thread confirmed and extended 2 year warranty on a '14 MY, but perhaps that was a CPO vehicle?

Thanks to all!
I have a '14 and received the letter extending the new car warranty. This is confirmed by my service advisor. Just to clarify: All US diesels (Canadians too?) have that
Old 12-10-2018, 12:10 AM
Trueblue
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I suggest you go to the dealer service and have them print out the warranty applicable to your specific CD. This will come directly from PCNA through the PCNA warranty system. There are several variables that affect your warranty. Among others are the date the vehicle was first put in service ( the industry calls it punched), CPO and non CPO.

I took delivery of a CD that had never been put in service. When I purchased the car I was told the warranty is a full new car warranty unlimited milage. for 6 years. When I had my first service the PCNA warranty was reported as 200,000 mi or 10 year new car warranty. My son also purchased a “non punched” CD around the same time I did from a different dealer in a different state. His warranty at first service came back as full new car unlimited milage for 6 yrs. GO FIGURE.
At some point i’ll take the time to sort this out for my car.
All I can offer to your question is don’t take any salesman’s word for the warranty. Verify the warranty specific to your vin directly with PCNA. Even more critical if you are buying a used CD.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 PM
965pkg
Track Day

This is still unclear to me and the dealers.

When you buy a CPO 15/16 CD, is the total warranty 4+2+2=8 years unlimited?
Old 04-09-2019, 11:33 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

The 10 yr / 120,000 mile warranty covers PowerTrain components:

I would like to add new information to the discussion. I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 Cayenne Diesel, pre-owned, with an in-service date of 7/27/2015. The warranty print out is similar to others posted hear. Except, that when my sales rep clicked through the details of the 10 Year / 193,000 KW (120K miles) "Diesel Emissions Ext W" line, it clearly shows that in addition to the emission parts, the main power train parts are also covered and they list them individually; block, pistons, crank, etc.

I am awaiting confirmation from PCNA's special diesel warranty department that if I CPO it, it will essentially be covered 8 years / unlimited miles, with the powertrain being covered 10 year / 120k miles.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:03 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
The 10 yr / 120,000 mile warranty covers PowerTrain components:

I would like to add new information to the discussion. I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 Cayenne Diesel, pre-owned, with an in-service date of 7/27/2015. The warranty print out is similar to others posted hear. Except, that when my sales rep clicked through the details of the 10 Year / 193,000 KW (120K miles) "Diesel Emissions Ext W" line, it clearly shows that in addition to the emission parts, the main power train parts are also covered and they list them individually; block, pistons, crank, etc.

I am awaiting confirmation from PCNA's special diesel warranty department that if I CPO it, it will essentially be covered 8 years / unlimited miles, with the powertrain being covered 10 year / 120k miles.
Yes, the extended emissions warranty covers parts not necessarily considered emissions, but "power train" usually includes transfer case, transmission, driveshaft, rear end, etc and not the engine itself. Also, the two year extension to the new car warranty starts when the new car warranty expires which can be due to miles or time. If it expires due to mileage before the four-year point, then the total warranty is not eight years, but the shortened new car warranty plus 2 or 4 years, two for the extension and two for CPO, if purchased CPO.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:03 PM
jsnola
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a 2016 with in service date in Oct 2015. Prior to buying I enquired with PCNA to confirm 8 years of coverage on a 2016 diesel sold as CPO and was told yes - after buying I wrote again to confirm - After a few weeks I received a reply stating that yes the CPO coverage is there and per the warranty administrator it will be added to the system after the diesel extension warranty has been in effect for 12 months - that I would receive a welcome kit in the mail soon. Great car so far - 800 mile range on road trips doing 75. It is my understanding the emissions warranty is extensive in what it covers, but the extension / CPO exclude these items covered by emissions - would love more clarity on that!
Old 05-12-2019, 11:16 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jsnola
I just purchased a 2016 with in service date in Oct 2015. Prior to buying I enquired with PCNA to confirm 8 years of coverage on a 2016 diesel sold as CPO and was told yes - after buying I wrote again to confirm - After a few weeks I received a reply stating that yes the CPO coverage is there and per the warranty administrator it will be added to the system after the diesel extension warranty has been in effect for 12 months - that I would receive a welcome kit in the mail soon. Great car so far - 800 mile range on road trips doing 75. It is my understanding the emissions warranty is extensive in what it covers, but the extension / CPO exclude these items covered by emissions - would love more clarity on that!
That pretty much matches what I have been told or discovered. The new data is the part about CPO being added after the extension has been active for 12 months. I got not one, but two CPO welcome kits....
Old 06-07-2019, 07:31 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Took my 2016 CD in for the WH70 campaign. Upon reviewing the service write-up for this work, I noticed that my vehicle's warranty expires in Dec 2023. It looks like Porsche has updated their system to add the 2-year warranty on top of my CPO warranty for a total of 8 years of coverage. The original in-service date of this CD was Dec 2015 and was used as a dealer loaner during the stop sale. I purchased it CPO in Feb 2018. Finally, some written confirmation that I am getting the full 8 years of coverage (from original in-service date)... Glad to have coverage for another 4-1/2 years!
Old 10-21-2019, 12:32 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

picked up a 2014 Cayenne Diesel Platinum Edition today

i have been searching for a while & while I wasn't specially searching for a Diesel, this was presented so I bought it. Love it so far.
I will share some of the story, I test drove this / purchased it from a Jaguar / Land Rover dealership (was told it was recently traded in
this dealership also owns a Porsche dealership, so after I test drove it I went down the street and some nice lady ran the VIN for me and gave me all this warranty data
it says
Pre-owned warranty 04 JAN 2018 to 04 JAN 2020 12.Apr.2016 (Contract date)
but it has these other lines, all
" New Vehicle warranty"
14.Feb 2014 04.Jan 2018
14.Feb.2014 15 Feb 2024
08.Jan 2018 14 Feb 2022

I a bit confused, I think it at least CPO'ed but it might have some other warranties? I found some booklet explaining some of these extra diesel warranties off the internet but it is confusing.
So many questions, I am sure someone will have answers eventually, but I slept on it and determined why not it seemed like all good news and the this Cayenne Diesel is in great shape, clear maintenance records all at one dealership and the lady at the Porsche dealership stated the warranty stays with the car so...
I went back to the Land Rover dealership and purchased this Cayenne Diesel today. I am not sure the Jaguar / Land Rover dealership understood this Cayenne Diesel even had any sort of warranty, but meh, doesn't matter this ride is mine now.

sounds like I am in for a bit of fun. count me all in

My ventilated seats doesn't seem to blow out of the drivers side. Looks like I will be testing this warranty early.
Old 01-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Robert Eggers
1st Gear

Smile Porsche diesel warranty

I have. a 2016 and the waranty will expire 6 years from date of purchase or 100K miles which ever comes first. (Sept 30 2021). If you buy one from a dealer and it is a CPO They give you 2 years unlimited mileage. I love this car and still get 37mpg on the highway at 70 mph..That is after the recall maintenance was done. I was getting 42mpg before using an additive... from Kleen diesel.
I have almost 60k miles on the car and all I have done is oil changes and carbon filter cabin change. Have not even had to touch the brakes yet. Mostly freeway driving. My wife and I are skiers and drive 320 miles one way to the slopes in Mammoth Lakes.

Robert Eggers
Old 01-16-2020, 08:18 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
picked up a 2014 Cayenne Diesel Platinum Edition today
dealership
it says
Pre-owned warranty 04 JAN 2018 to 04 JAN 2020 12.Apr.2016 (Contract date)
but it has these other lines, all
" New Vehicle warranty"
14.Feb 2014 04.Jan 2018
14.Feb.2014 15 Feb 2024
08.Jan 2018 14 Feb 2022
Ok, lets see. A '14 is a 958.1 and not as confusing as the '15 forward cars. Looks like service dates started on Feb. 14, 2014. Before dieselgate, end of warranty should have been four years (Feb 13, 2018?). After the dieselgate scandal erupted, Porsche added two complimentary years to the initial warranty that Porsche classified as CPO (but it is not really CPO since it can be transferred like a new car warranty), So, should be to Feb 2020. However, it looks like a Porsche dealer CPOed the CD (that is why there is the Jan. 8, 2018 date?). That brings it to Feb 2022. A dealer CPOed warranty is valid to subsequent owners if the car is purchased from a Porsche dealer or the owner of the car, but not from a non-Porsche dealer. Then, there is the dieselgate limited 10 years drivetrain warranty, which should bring it to Feb 2024.

The issue now is that since you brought the CD from a non-Porsche dealer, you may lose the dealer CPOed part (till Feb 2022). So, better run and get your stuff fixed (since the original one ends Feb. 2020). However, since you purchased it from a dealer within the same parent company, maybe the Porsche service people would look the other way and let you keep using the CPOed part till Feb. 2022
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (02-13-2021)
Old 01-19-2020, 08:20 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Ok, lets see. A '14 is a 958.1 and not as confusing as the '15 forward cars. Looks like service dates started on Feb. 14, 2014. Before dieselgate, end of warranty should have been four years (Feb 13, 2018?). After the dieselgate scandal erupted, Porsche added two complimentary years to the initial warranty that Porsche classified as CPO (but it is not really CPO since it can be transferred like a new car warranty), So, should be to Feb 2020. However, it looks like a Porsche dealer CPOed the CD (that is why there is the Jan. 8, 2018 date?). That brings it to Feb 2022. A dealer CPOed warranty is valid to subsequent owners if the car is purchased from a Porsche dealer or the owner of the car, but not from a non-Porsche dealer. Then, there is the dieselgate limited 10 years drivetrain warranty, which should bring it to Feb 2024.

The issue now is that since you brought the CD from a non-Porsche dealer, you may lose the dealer CPOed part (till Feb 2022). So, better run and get your stuff fixed (since the original one ends Feb. 2020). However, since you purchased it from a dealer within the same parent company, maybe the Porsche service people would look the other way and let you keep using the CPOed part till Feb. 2022
I'd be surprised, since Porsche (PCNA?) pays for the warranty work - not the dealership - and very clearly states that if you buy it from a non-Porsche dealer the CPO goes away. It's an easy business decision to remove that liability from their balance sheet, I'd think.
Old 04-10-2020, 06:26 PM
Mark P
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just reading this thread from the beginning so seems I read the evolution of information becoming clearer over time. Can someone knowledgeable please confirm if I understand this correctly? I am interested in purchasing a 958.2 CD and want to understand the warranty situation. I have had 3 Audi 3.0 TDIs at various stages of ownership through Dieselgate, so I am very familiar with all of the logistics on the Audi side, but there are differences here so I want to be sure I have it straight...

1.) Original new car warranty is 4yr/50k
2.) Then the 2015-2016 CD got a "good will" extension of New Car Warranty for +2yr/Unlimited (= 4y/50k + 2y/unlimited)
3.) As well as the Diesel-emissions parts warranty for 10y/120k

4.) Then if a CD is also CPO, it adds another 2yr/unlimited warranty (most similar to new car warranty) (= 4y/50k + 2y/unlimited + 2y/unlimited)

In general for adding CPO to a vehicle, I thought they had to have under 50k miles, but now I realize that perhaps the criteria for getting CPO may be that it's still under new car warranty. Traditionally this has been 4y/50k, but now with these getting the extension to 4y/50k+2y/unlimited, maybe that qualifies as continually under warranty so now they can CPO cars that are higher miles than normally would have been. This would explain the 80k CD currently for sale at a dealership listed as CPO.

Quick Reply: 2015-16 Cayenne Diesel Purchase: clarification of 4/6/8/10 yr warranty coverage