Sponsored By:

What did you do to your 958 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2023, 03:57 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jayi836
Can you let me know if any of this needs to be done? perhaps in the supplied instructions
Operate in the flameout state;
Open the left front door and press the unlock button 6 times to set the window up to open/close (default open)
Open the right front door and press the unlock button 6 times to set the door flashing light on/off (default on)
Open the left rear door and press the unlock button 6 times to set the lock prompt sound on/off (default off)
Open the right rear door and press the unlock button 6 times to set the car search function on/off (default open)
yes I did all of that. It’s so that all the options will work. You can have some options off if you want.
Old 06-28-2023, 06:44 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobbyp
I'm trying to figure out the purpose of this modification. What exactly does it do that isn't done with the normal remote?
closes the windows and sunroof. Open and close the rear hatch with remote. Close the rear hatch with drivers door switch.

*I believe on the 958.2 it closes the windows and sunroof if it starts to rain using the rain sensor.

The following 2 users liked this post by porsches4ed:
bobbyp (06-28-2023), jayi836 (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 09:54 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

LED fog lights. They are incredible I am still installing them. They are complete housings and projectors.

I just connected it like this really quick to show how the beam pattern is

this is the factory halogen.

they have an adjustment screw. I’ll do that once installed. So imo the fog lights were always too low for me they didn’t really hit the roads where I’d like. So I adjusted them higher so it will actually hit closer to the headlight low beam.

do you have to cut the inside corner of the factory plastic bracket housing so that you have access to adjust the height you can turn it with your finger it’s not that difficult to turn.

Only Fog lights

only low beam headlights (HID 6000k)

low beam headlights and foglights

on the road, low beam headlights

only foglights

lowbeam headlights and foglights

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $11.52 39% Off | 2 X LED Fog Light 30W 8000LM Car Front Bumper Fog Lamp For Subaru Outback Forester WRX STI Impreza Legacy BRZ XV Justy Levorg
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMYultK

Last edited by porsches4ed; 06-29-2023 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:12 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Got a set coming from Morimoto for install this weekend. Looking forward to it!
Old 06-30-2023, 01:15 AM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
Got a set coming from Morimoto for install this weekend. Looking forward to it!
these? They are really nice

https://www.morimotohid.com/morimoto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-30-2023, 10:18 AM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by porsches4ed
​​​​​​
The very same. As much as I do like white light I decided to take a gamble and go with the yellow instead The existing fog light housings in the car have taken a beating and given the replacement cost of the housings and then adding LED bulbs I thought I would go this route instead and maybe see if I can clean up the housings and just have them in storage for when Idaho winter strikes again.

I wanted to buy a set of Xenon conversions from that company for years back when I had my original 1982 VW Vanagon and my 914 but I never had the opportunity. Granted it's probably just manufacturer bias but I always felt they took great care in the way they made their products. I know the overall lumen output is not going to match something I could find on AliExpress and that's a bit of a bummer but again I've wanted to have something from those guys for a while so I guess I'm willing to overlook that.

Last edited by Davebrossi; 06-30-2023 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-30-2023, 10:14 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

LED fog lights. They are incredible I am still installing them. They are complete housings and projectors.
they have an adjustment screw. I’ll do that once installed. So imo the fog lights were always too low for me they didn’t really hit the roads where I’d like. So I adjusted them higher so it will actually hit closer to the headlight low beam.
do you have to cut the inside corner of the factory plastic bracket housing so that you have access to adjust the height you can turn it with your finger it’s not that difficult to turn.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $11.52 39% Off | 2 X LED Fog Light 30W 8000LM Car Front Bumper Fog Lamp For Subaru Outback Forester WRX STI Impreza Legacy BRZ XV Justy Levorg
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMYultK
Looks good and can't beat the price! Did you have to do any modifications to the wiring harness or are they plug and play? Also, how hard is the install? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:15 AM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
Looks good and can't beat the price! Did you have to do any modifications to the wiring harness or are they plug and play? Also, how hard is the install? Thanks.
plug and play. The drivers side is simple the passenger side I removed the wheel for more space because of the intercooler behind the passenger side foglight.

The following users liked this post:
ShdwFx (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 08:14 AM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 536 Posts

@porsches4ed Looks like your fog lights are aimed too high and will blind oncoming drivers. Fog lights should remain below the low beam cutoff. Their intended purpose is to put light on the road directly in front of you. They're lower on the car, obviously, and so using the low beam cutoff for guidance aims them up and into oncoming drivers' eyes.

Take a walk 50 or 100 feet down the road, away from your car. If they're bright, even from a crouching position, they're too high.

Last edited by lml999; 07-02-2023 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 06:22 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

What I'm looking at is a light pattern that couldn't be friendly to your fellow driver.

This is your fogs on alone. In between the green lines is the beam pattern that appears to be sitting in the headlight zone. It needs to be lower to where it pickups where the headlights falls off. These for lights do not need to be staggered as they are designed to fall on the floor to cut fog.

Fog Lights alone. ⬆️

Here is your picture of your headlights alone. Your fogs should not go higher than the blue line, which looks to be the lower cutoff of your headlights. Several questions:
Is you driveway level and how close are you to the garage door? You need to be 25' away from a wall to properly measure and adjust your lighting system.

Did you mess with your headlights as there is supposed to be a stark cutoff line (like the red drawn line) that is not present in these pictures. Could be because you're too close to the garage door. Pull your car back and verify when you have time.

Honestly, the way your fogs are set, they are pretty much in the same space that your headlights are in and by looking at your road shots, you could jsut drive around with fogs and see better then most cars that run halogen. The only downside to that is it make you "That guy". My 89 year
old dad is "That guy" and I keep telling him to turn off his high beams. He says he can't see otherwise. That's a whole other ball of wax.

Headlights alone ⬆️

This picture is both your headlights and fogs on. Even with those high end fogs, you sill have no light on the ground. You're still blacked out below that green line and your headlight beam pattern as depicted by the fuschia line is a mess. 25' and adjust.

Headlights and Fogs ⬆️

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 07-01-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:37 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,954 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Your license plate placement is causing that vertical line in your lights. Ditch or move the plate to the normal center of the car.

Once again, that license plate is ruining your beam.

These are your headlights alone. Notice what is lit up and what isn't. I see tree trunks and not tree foliage.

This pic is of your fog lights only and now I can see tree foliage. That should not be. Also, that license plate is rearing its ugly head again.

This picture looks like you have all your lights on and you're also pulling back on your flash to pass where you have maximum light output. You Gotta go back to the drawing board and readjust. Find a nice wall, pull back 25', pop a beer because you shouldn't rush though it, set headlights, then set fogs. Take that plate and move it. Come back and post up your results. Sorry for being harsh. I've got a 15 year old and it's the only way I know how to act nowadays. Like an ***!

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 07-01-2023 at 06:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RAudi Driver:
Al Faromeo (07-11-2023), bobbyp (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:27 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Your license plate placement is causing that vertical line in your lights. Ditch or move the plate to the normal center of the car.

Once again, that license plate is ruining your beam.

These are your headlights alone. Notice what is lit up and what isn't. I see tree trunks and not tree foliage.

This pic is of your fog lights only and now I can see tree foliage. That should not be. Also, that license plate is rearing its ugly head again.

This picture looks like you have all your lights on and you're also pulling back on your flash to pass where you have maximum light output. You Gotta go back to the drawing board and readjust. Find a nice wall, pull back 25', pop a beer because you shouldn't rush though it, set headlights, then set fogs. Take that plate and move it. Come back and post up your results. Sorry for being harsh. I've got a 15 year old and it's the only way I know how to act nowadays. Like an ***!

yes I adjusted them lower.
Old 07-01-2023, 07:31 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Replaced bottom two plate rivets with the Audi version.

allegedly galvanized steel and aluminum insert.

Old 07-01-2023, 07:33 PM
porsches4ed
Instructor

Cleaned engine panels

The following 2 users liked this post by porsches4ed:
cbracerx (07-10-2023), sdiamond (07-09-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:47 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Replaced bottom two plate rivets with the Audi version.
Nice job; what was your method to cut off the old rivets? I've always just re-tapped the stripped threads.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 958 today?