Sponsored By:

Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 AM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Ah crap. Missed that one.

Just bought and and received my pack from NM the other day! I am away this weekend doing motorcycle stuff, so no fitting it this weekend. But looking forward to getting it to done next weekend. I will post my feedback.

One thjng i woukd say is that the instructions that Nick sent over are complete. Very complete! 40 pages with explanations and pictures. Impressed so far.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:21 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by offagain

Just bought and and received my pack from NM the other day! I am away this weekend doing motorcycle stuff, so no fitting it this weekend. But looking forward to getting it to done next weekend. I will post my feedback.

One thjng i woukd say is that the instructions that Nick sent over are complete. Very complete! 40 pages with explanations and pictures. Impressed so far.
no harm in asking if you found him through Rennlist
Old 10-06-2018, 07:32 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Nick is very professional, helped me out through out the firmware and system updates, as i did have a problem with flash drive bigger than 16GB, good luck i am sure you will like it
Old 10-07-2018, 12:41 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by davidkircher
I have a 2014 Porsche Cayenne S which does not have voice command. (The button that is on the end of the turn indicator.) Since it is a 2014 it has PCM 3.1 Generation1 which does not have the option for an after production upgrade that is available with PCM 3.1 Generation 2 that comes on 2015-2016 Cayenne's. I am looking at adding an aftermarket product made by Lsailt MODEL LLT-BSJ-VER1.5.4 that provides Apple Carplay for both Gen 1 and Gen 2 PCM 3.1's. Has anyone successfully done this and who did you have install it?
What is this PCM 3.2.2 upgrade you mention?

Software? Are you saying I could upgrade my '15s PCM to have car play? (Assuming they can fix the damn thing!)
Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 AM
offagain
Instructor

So I decided to give it a go and get the NM Automotive CarPlay kit installed. A couple of things to note:

1) The instructions are very complete but they are slightly incorrect for my car (2011 Cayenne S USA model). First thing is that to remove the DVD player from the PCM itself, it says you can just slide it out when you remove 3 screws on the back. However, there is an additional plastic unit under the screen that you need to remove:

Just gently remove the plastic to expose the other two screws:

2) The colors at the back of the PCM differed slightly. Not a big thing, but at least it was consistent and coded to the back of the PCM

And on the other side:

3) And its in!

And with iOS 12 you get Waze and Google Maps support:

4) And you need to use a separate mic, but thats OK:

General feedback:
  • Took about 4 hours to complete, which seems about right. I have done the aircon fan before, so I knew how to remove the vents etc. Not that difficult though.
  • There is actually plenty of room at the back of the PCM unit, so not a squeeze and easy. I chose to fit the unit below the glovebox though
  • You need to press and hold INFO to switch to the CarPlay view, but thats OK. Nothing worse than other standard fit systems I have used
  • You can customize volume settings, which is nice - a common problem with some standard fit CarPlay systems
  • Remember CarPlay in this implementation is USB wired only, so you need to plug it in, but thats OK too
  • The unit takes over the AUX input, so you must set the AUX to be the input so you get sound from the phone, so no AUX Bluetooth
  • I understand you need to update the unit for some bug fixes - which I will try shortly.

Otherwise, really pleased and looks great. Pleased I did it and I will get it tested out tomorrow on a 3 hour drive.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:31 AM
offagain
Instructor

Damn it, forgot to mention a couple of things (last post was late at night).

1) You will need a 10mm triple square socket to remove the bolts for the seat - its not a normal Torx, but a triple square one. I consider myself a basic fixer on cars, but I didnt have one of those!
2) Yep, you need to remove the seat to get to the battery - WHY put the battery under the seat? Anyway, you need to remove it to get to the cover and hence battery to disconnect it
3) Once disconnected and reconnected, I cant seem to set the time - anyone know how to set the time on a 2011 Cayenne S?

;-)
Old 10-09-2018, 11:53 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Damn it, forgot to mention a couple of things (last post was late at night).

1) You will need a 10mm triple square socket to remove the bolts for the seat - its not a normal Torx, but a triple square one. I consider myself a basic fixer on cars, but I didnt have one of those!
2) Yep, you need to remove the seat to get to the battery - WHY put the battery under the seat? Anyway, you need to remove it to get to the cover and hence battery to disconnect it
3) Once disconnected and reconnected, I cant seem to set the time - anyone know how to set the time on a 2011 Cayenne S?

;-)
1. Hopefully, you bought an entire set. There are other triple-square bolts scattered around a Cayenne (top engine strut mount for one..) If you're a basic-fixer - you'll need these tools.
2. If you just want to disconnect the battery - it's much easier to open the little carpet flap in front of the driver's seat and disconnect the ground cable from the battery to the chassis. One acorn nut. Takes maybe 60 seconds. No heavy lifting. After you take it off the stud to the chassis, put it in something so it doesn't accidentally come in contact with the stud again (I use a short length of 1/2" ID tubing.)
3. It's buried in one of the PCM menus. The owner's manual or PCM manual will tell you how.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:34 PM
rael
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 60 Posts

I just ordered one from Nick and I will be installing shortly. Thanks for the notes Offagain.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:10 PM
offagain
Instructor

Originally Posted by rael
I just ordered one from Nick and I will be installing shortly. Thanks for the notes Offagain.
no worries.

It really wasnt that hard to do. Just take your time, follow the instructions and double check what you are doing. Not going to say it’s easy, as it might freak out some when you start disconnecting components inside the PCM. But it’s all pretty straightforward and you don’t need to break anything.

Took me a while to figure out how to get the vents out though. A torch, small flat head screwdriver and a bit of patience is all you need. You will see the hooks and you can pull them out from there. Done it a few times now and it’s easier once you have done it before. Makes sense when you see it.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:02 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

mine arrived and am having installed on Friday - excited to see it!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:02 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

My PCM has XMRadio and when i removed that i lost Radio Audio (and no carplay audio when i swapped them).. so i need to keep both in, but waiting for some longer standoffs so i can jam both in! im getting good at taking everything apart!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:08 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by element
My PCM has XMRadio and when i removed that i lost Radio Audio (and no carplay audio when i swapped them).. so i need to keep both in, but waiting for some longer standoffs so i can jam both in! im getting good at taking everything apart!
Thats why we supply them with our kits
Old 10-17-2018, 03:50 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

How tight does it get to the DVD player?
Old 10-17-2018, 03:54 AM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by element
How tight does it get to the DVD player?
Depends on which type of Sirius XM board you have, but fairly tight probably a couple of mm spare if the ‘larger’ of the Sirius XM boards is fitted.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 AM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

What does the cost end up being for your kit shipped to the US? This might be a good holiday project for me.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1