Sponsored By:

Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Ziad Abou-Chalha
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

******************************UPDATE**********************************
Finally I installed this perfectly. I probably installed and uninstalled it 20 time before I got it to work perfectly. I think the ribbon cables are very sensitive so they have to be connected carefully. Now the JUKEBOX/AUX BT all work perfectly. I can connecto the PCM or carplay/Android. My advise to carefully install and take your time specially eith the ribbon cables.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:24 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Does this play video?
Old 07-06-2019, 02:29 PM
pitrow
Track Day

Originally Posted by Ziad Abou-Chalha
******************************UPDATE**********************************
Finally I installed this perfectly. I probably installed and uninstalled it 20 time before I got it to work perfectly. I think the ribbon cables are very sensitive so they have to be connected carefully. Now the JUKEBOX/AUX BT all work perfectly. I can connecto the PCM or carplay/Android. My advise to carefully install and take your time specially eith the ribbon cables.
Happy to hear yours is working well. I was WhatsApping with them yesterday and they've been helpful. I also found this other thread on the forum pretty helpful and identified my main issue which seems to be the fiber two optic cables from the OEM harness. It sounds like that's why I'm getting no sound and can't switch sources. Did you remove the fiber optic cables from your OEM harness and add them to the Joyeauto harness so that they connect directly to the PCM unit? If so, how did you remove them, did you just pull?

Here's my response to that other thread around the same issue and also a link to troubleshooting the OEM camera issue that Joyeauto sent me that I'll try later today: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1045...l#post15955567
Old 07-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Ziad Abou-Chalha
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Does this play video?
Yes, I am using Autolink for android and it screens my phone to the pcm screen, so anything on the phone shows on the pcm
Old 09-03-2019, 06:32 AM
eggman99
1st Gear

Default Carplay sound quality and loudness issues

Hi all. New UK Cayenne (2012) owner and forum member.
I had the Apple carplay module fitted to my Cayenne last week and it works well. The only problem I have is with sound quality and volume. When listening to any app via carplay (including. apple music, podcast, radioplayer, even phonecalls) the volume is significantly quieter than the standard PCM. Additionally the sound quality is not as crisp and clear. Its ok but there is a noticeable difference. I've contacted the supplier / fitter but as yet they have not been able to help (they are in a different city so its difficult for me to visit them so support so far has been over the phone / email). I will take it back to them for them to inspect but wondered what everybody else's experience was and whether its the same as mine.
Given the issue, I am currently using carplay for visuals only e.g. I have my iphone plugged in and use the carplay interface for nav apps like Google maps, Apple maps or Waze but I have the PCM source set to AUXBT not AUX so sound and phonecalls come through bluetooth. This gives me much better quality and loudness but obviuolsy I'm getting limited functionality e.g. I cant select apple music playlists or podcasts from the PCM screen - I have to do it from my phone.

Any observations / tips would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 09-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by eggman99
Hi all. New UK Cayenne (2012) owner and forum member.
I had the Apple carplay module fitted to my Cayenne last week and it works well. The only problem I have is with sound quality and volume. When listening to any app via carplay (including. apple music, podcast, radioplayer, even phonecalls) the volume is significantly quieter than the standard PCM. Additionally the sound quality is not as crisp and clear. Its ok but there is a noticeable difference. I've contacted the supplier / fitter but as yet they have not been able to help (they are in a different city so its difficult for me to visit them so support so far has been over the phone / email). I will take it back to them for them to inspect but wondered what everybody else's experience was and whether its the same as mine.
Given the issue, I am currently using carplay for visuals only e.g. I have my iphone plugged in and use the carplay interface for nav apps like Google maps, Apple maps or Waze but I have the PCM source set to AUXBT not AUX so sound and phonecalls come through bluetooth. This gives me much better quality and loudness but obviuolsy I'm getting limited functionality e.g. I cant select apple music playlists or podcasts from the PCM screen - I have to do it from my phone.

Any observations / tips would be greatly appreciated thanks
I swear in my car it sounds noticeably better than the stock Bose. Make sure you set to Aux, and your music is playing via airplay and not bluetooth.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:52 PM
skinnytirez
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mirrorslap
I swear in my car it sounds noticeably better than the stock Bose. Make sure you set to Aux, and your music is playing via airplay and not bluetooth.
How exactly do you know if you are playing music "via airplay and not bluetooth"?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:39 AM
Mirrorslap
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnytirez
How exactly do you know if you are playing music "via airplay and not bluetooth"?
when your music app is open look for the stream to symbol, click it and it will either say something like CarPlay or PCM, sorry my car is in the body shop this week, going off memory...

Old 02-02-2020, 12:53 PM
vreynaud
Cruisin'

Default Installer in Los Angeles area for NM auto (wizard) CarPlay?

Any of you have had it installed successfully in the (west) Los Angeles Area?
saw a post for a Simi Valley but hoping for someone closer to 405/10 area
thanks
ps accessory module with windows and tailgate closing seem cool
Old 10-04-2022, 04:48 AM
justinjustinjust

You don't need to remove the satellite card, just stack it up or stick it some where else.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:57 AM
RGTorque
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by justinjustinjust
You don't need to remove the satellite card, just stack it up or stick it some where else.
I've found that a 24mm standoff works great with any pcm 3.0/3.1 that has xm sat card in it.

Last edited by lml999; 10-13-2022 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Removing commercial statement
Old 10-13-2022, 06:22 PM
wineguy94920
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Installed New Isudar in my 958. Love it

Mr 12 Volt was a drag to install with the additional box. Returned it and installed Isudar this week.
anyone doing any brand of CarPlay upgrade should look at Isudar’s You tube video for how to properly open the PCM 3.1.
The video shows a lady opening it up.. Her process leaves the OEM screen attached to the PCM. This prevents the hassle of re connection of the screen ribbon cables.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:30 PM
RGTorque
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wineguy94920
Mr 12 Volt was a drag to install with the additional box. Returned it and installed Isudar this week.
anyone doing any brand of CarPlay upgrade should look at Isudar’s You tube video for how to properly open the PCM 3.1.
The video shows a lady opening it up.. Her process leaves the OEM screen attached to the PCM. This prevents the hassle of re connection of the screen ribbon cables.

I've installed several isudar and mr12volt systems. Please explain how it's a drag? There is 1 additional box that's included and it packs away perfectly without even tape just above the passenger side floot well. [stuff snipped]

Last edited by lml999; 10-13-2022 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Removing commercial statement
Old 10-13-2022, 07:52 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by RGTorque
I've installed several isudar and mr12volt systems. Please explain how it's a drag? There is 1 additional box that's included and it packs away perfectly without even tape just above the passenger side floot well. [stuff snipped]

Last edited by lml999; 10-13-2022 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-13-2022, 10:09 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Edited for clarity.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play for PCM 3.1