Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 09:09 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RLHornbeck
The Malone tune for the Cayenne is great. Having been in both the stage 2 and the stage 2 with delete there is a definite difference in the power and mileage (if you stay out of it) between the two. The difference I noticed between stock and stage two without a delete is mainly smoothing out the power at all stages, especially the reduction in initial takeoff lag. One issue with the delete was the small droplets of soot that collected on the tailgate, sometimes when using the tailgate I would get a bit of soot on my hands, not a big deal but you had to watch for it.

As a side note Malone is having a 15% off sale for Black Friday, so it might be time to go for it.
Thanks for the info, good to know before I tackle this project. Have the tune in the cart, but looks like no discount from Rawtek?
Old 11-26-2021, 10:23 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Looks like they were just waiting until Friday.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:38 PM
Nate.Evans
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 78 Posts

Rawtek does that every year...if you follow their IG they seemingly ramp up production significantly in Q3 to account for it.

Old 12-18-2021, 08:21 PM
Newegg
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Welp. Just did the full delete. EGR,DPF. Stage 2

initial impression is it’s not as fast as I expected. I may need to clean the crap out of the intake.

Turbo lag seems to be gone.

Sound, can’t even tell. When I did my Touareg it had more of a note. This Cayenne is maybe 5% louder.

Pleased with the lack of smoke. Can see it if you floor it but it’s not too bad.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:22 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 315 Posts

Newegg

Love for you to give more feedback.
Maybe start a new thread?
Your mileage when you took this endeavor?
Was it a DIY?
Costs?
Physically deleted EGR and DPF or electronically deleted?

Would love more.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:06 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Very interesting. I have my bundle collecting dust here until probably March. Surprised the power increase isn't more noticeable, but no turbo lag is the main goal, so that's good. Also sounds like some mufflers might be needed, Rawtek did tell me that.

How was the install? Did you unplug the EGR electrical connector up top?

Oh, and no smell while idling? That was my biggest concern.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:09 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Very interesting. I have my bundle collecting dust here until probably March. Surprised the power increase isn't more noticeable, but no turbo lag is the main goal, so that's good. Also sounds like some mufflers might be needed, Rawtek did tell me that.

How was the install? Did you unplug the EGR electrical connector up top?

Oh, and no smell while idling? That was my biggest concern.
The noise with the deletes changes nearly zero. If you want more noise, you need to delete mufflers. It's super quite.
Old 12-18-2021, 11:37 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Well that kinda sucks. Though I do really want to hear an exhaust mod on this engine before modifying as I don't want it to sound like the diesel pickups that run around here. I have to contact Soul about some Cayman options, so maybe I'll see if they have any ideas.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:21 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Well that kinda sucks. Though I do really want to hear an exhaust mod on this engine before modifying as I don't want it to sound like the diesel pickups that run around here. I have to contact Soul about some Cayman options, so maybe I'll see if they have any ideas.
YouTube has several toureg videos.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:10 AM
Newegg
Instructor

Originally Posted by KBell
Newegg

Love for you to give more feedback.
Maybe start a new thread?
Your mileage when you took this endeavor?
Was it a DIY?
Costs?
Physically deleted EGR and DPF or electronically deleted?

Would love more.
88,000 Miles on 2015 Cayenne.

Porsche just installed a new turbo since the original one failed. Was crapped up with soot and the variable vains were hanging up. I plan on keeping the vehicle so I would rather not have to purchase another turbo.

DIY for sure. I had saved the delete pipe from my 2012 Touareg. Same pipe for the 2015 cayenne. It is a bit f work but not too bad. Friend of mine has a shop so we had it on a lift. Took a couple hours, wasn’t in a huge hurry. I purchased the tune and flashzilla so I was able to upload the tune myself.

Cost was just shy of 1000 for the tune and the flashzilla. Pipe is going to cost about 800.

EGR is an electronic delete.

Not worried about the warranty. Talked with my dealer and they are cool with it. You kinda delete the three major problems with diesel. VW had much the same opinion when I did it to my Touareg.

Hope that helps.

This guy actually does a really nice job walking you through the entire process. I didn’t do the down pipe.

Last edited by Newegg; 12-19-2021 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Adding link
Old 12-19-2021, 12:01 PM
911-997
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Newegg
88,000 Miles on 2015 Cayenne.

Porsche just installed a new turbo since the original one failed. Was crapped up with soot and the variable vains were hanging up. I plan on keeping the vehicle so I would rather not have to purchase another turbo.

DIY for sure. I had saved the delete pipe from my 2012 Touareg. Same pipe for the 2015 cayenne. It is a bit f work but not too bad. Friend of mine has a shop so we had it on a lift. Took a couple hours, wasn’t in a huge hurry. I purchased the tune and flashzilla so I was able to upload the tune myself.

Cost was just shy of 1000 for the tune and the flashzilla. Pipe is going to cost about 800.

EGR is an electronic delete.

Not worried about the warranty. Talked with my dealer and they are cool with it. You kinda delete the three major problems with diesel. VW had much the same opinion when I did it to my Touareg.

Hope that helps.

This guy actually does a really nice job walking you through the entire process. I didn’t do the down pipe.

https://youtu.be/2aXPNwda7zg
Thanks for sharing this. This is definitely on my todo list once my warranty is over. (My dealer will definitely void the warranty after this delete and I have concerns on when main seal starts leaking)

Also this is first time I hear about turbo failing on a CD. Was there something that got it failed?

Last edited by 911-997; 12-19-2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:17 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Same concern here Addict. Wife's is leaking oil from back of engine, so I'm not touching anything until after they address that as it's just too risky. Also read the turbo failure and wondered if this is common. Certainly hope not. Either way, I'll def give that video a watch a few times.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:10 PM
Newegg
Instructor

I don’t think the turbo failure is common on the diesels. Mine is only the second one my dealer has done.

I don’t baby the car so I was definitely surprised it failed. Just clogged up from soot.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:43 PM
Topshelf
Racer

That's good to hear, thanks for the update on that. Well not that your turbo failed, but that's it's not common. lol Wife loves the CD, even more after having a Cayenne for a week not to long ago, so hoping the delete means long term keeper here.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:08 PM
andyg90
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. I have a 2018 CD with 146k miles. The EGR and DEF heater (I think?) was just replaced 6 months ago, under warranty from the original recall, which was performed 3 years ago.

Recently, the emissions light has intermittently come and gone. Took it in this week and the dealer quoted $7300 to:
- Replace both NOX sensors due to erratic signal ($1400/pc)
- Replace SCR catalyst due to "efficiency too low" ($3300)
- Labor and other small stuff made up the remaining balance

It seems like the SCR catalyst may be putting in too much adblue due to erratic reading from NOX sensors? I think my first course of action is to soak the NOX sensors in the fuel injector cleaner to see if that clears them up. Any thoughts on this? The next course of action may be Malone tune w/deletes. I'm assuming the tune that removes DPF, adblue, EGR should clear up my codes? I believe CEL code was 146765.

Any advice is appreciated

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Malone tune on their diesel?