Sponsored by:

ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 01:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jbse39
Yeah, I was prompted about the old version vs the new version of the software and like an idiot, I decided to download the new version (have been using old version for 1.5 years) and it would not pair with the hardware since the HW was already paired with the old version. I send product support email asking if I can move the HW to the new version, which I guess would require a new activation code, and they provided standard response and would not answer my question. I only use it for reseting service reminder on the 14 Cayenne Diesel, and find it almost useless, otherwise.
I'll have to plug mine in and see if it prompts for a new software version download. It has in the past and it worked fine. I notice the problem appears to be happening on iPhones? Dunno about Android - but I'll take one for the team and see..
Old 11-11-2018, 02:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Just ran through mine - seems to be working as well as ever. All the usual functions worked. Came in handy setting tire pressures since I could read the pressure in the tire real time as I circled the truck with my phone in hand connected to EZDiag and TPMS system.. Mine is the Android based one.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:54 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

My iPhone version works fine too (04 CTT).
Old 11-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Big_Tex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has worked well for several years but is currently stuck. I tried it this weekend and when requesting Full System Check, it always pops up a screen to download the "new" version V5.5.7. I hit the download button and it seems to download but never installs. Will not go past this screen, just repeats the failing process.

Very odd, since according to Google, the EZdiag app I have installed is version 6.4.4.

Anyone else seeing this?
Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 PM
tjim01
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I just received mine and downloaded the new software for IOS, ver. 6.4.5. Seems to work OK, ran full system scan and reset several codes. I'm curious however, as I don't know what the top 2 icons (IM & OBDII Diagnosis) are for - or if they are supposed to work....they do nothing when I click on them....any thoughts? I'd also like to run some live data logging while driving to determine exactly when codes are being thrown...how/can I do that?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:32 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Android user here......I pulled out EZ Diag to run a CEL. Clicked on update......all kinds of crud happened.

Installed the other versions of apps etc......registration failed or didnt work.

Got home uninstalled all of them, reinstalled the old school EZ Diag.....again downloaded v5 xxx they said you needed to do. Now this time it made a Android Security alert. And I had to approve outside of Google Play installs, and then another OK security I know to not trust this type of thing.

And now I am running again on the updated version.

I think I had a poor signal. WiFi download worked the best.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:52 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

anyone have any luck pairing this with a 997.1 turbo?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboslut
anyone have any luck pairing this with a 997.1 turbo?
Yes -- works well. It's not as thorough as Durametric, but it's not as hard to use either (and it works well with all my cars: Mercedes GL450, Cayenne TT, 997TT). It doesn't log like Cobb does for the 997, but it has much better access to modules other than the ECU.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:39 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Full Clarity. I had DTC codes out the wazzooo and I have never calibrated my suspension. (Input 190 front and 240 rear, going to go back and play with this after inspection).

All DTC's cleared, car probably is running better than I have realized in a long time. Was in an anemic mode probably with the all the DTCs building up.

This icarscan should work on most models in the past 10 years........and I am going to try it out on my Tahoe and FJ next.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:00 AM
tjim01
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tjim01
I just received mine and downloaded the new software for IOS, ver. 6.4.5. Seems to work OK, ran full system scan and reset several codes. I'm curious however, as I don't know what the top 2 icons (IM & OBDII Diagnosis) are for - or if they are supposed to work....they do nothing when I click on them....any thoughts? I'd also like to run some live data logging while driving to determine exactly when codes are being thrown...how/can I do that?

Thoughts anyone?
Old 12-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

On mine, the OBD button used to do basic (emissions related) scans including verifying the infamous "OBD readiness status" which many jurisdictions focus on for your annual emissions inspection.

I'm not sure why it's stopped working on recent updates. As I also have a cheap ELM327 style OBD reader, I have other options for that data so it's not a big deal to me, but hopefully they'll fix the software to reinstate those features in a futures update.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Jamescoop
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Things like "RESET OIL" - are actually better done with the specific function for the vehicle you're doing it on - using the car-brand software you've downloaded. IE _ Porsche software has a function for oil and service resets and reminders. Also has functions for adjusting the electronic parking brake, stuff like that. The special tools I found were pretty much worthless compared to the same function in the car brand software.
The documentation is fairly vague to where in the Porsche info it does not specifically say it has oil reset, so thank you for verifying.

Does anyone have an understanding of what all of these special functions do? Are ANY of them necessary/have been found necessary?

RESETBLEED, RESETBMS, RESET BRAKE, RESETDPF, Elect. Throttle, GEAR LEARN, Immobilizer Keys, INJECTOR, RESET OIL, RESET SAS, RESETTPMS

Right now I have an F30 335i BMW which needs new battery -- Im not entirely sure if "Record Battery Replacement" is the same thing as RESETBMS listed in the BMW Special Functions documentation...

I just logged in and need to download my 10 software, want to try and future-proof myself as much as possible for any cars I come across/own. Including my 955 Cayenne I'll probably never get rid of (unless I upgrade to Diesel
My parents/close friends own VW Jetta, Range Rover, Audi, and might acquire Chevy Suburban or Toyota Land Cruiser -- Id like to be able to work on all these and dont entirely understand all the special functions enough -- the documentation is OK but not clear enough for me to pull the trigger on options yet.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:55 AM
9000RPM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

What is everyone's version for Porsche? I'm stuck at version 21.80 and the app says there's no new update for it. It doesn't even have an option telling me there that is an update available that I could purchase.

Just curious because my x431 is up to version 23.50 and they have added a lot more features in the new version.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM
gixxer
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Folks
Try BLUE DRIVER
Lots of power in a small package. does all major ECU's , SRS , ABS .Trans.Control Unit and OBD
around $100.00
Old 04-10-2019, 02:21 PM
MKITGO2
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamescoop
T
Does anyone have an understanding of what all of these special functions do? Are ANY of them necessary/have been found necessary?

RESETBLEED, RESETBMS, RESET BRAKE, RESETDPF, Elect. Throttle, GEAR LEARN, Immobilizer Keys, INJECTOR, RESET OIL, RESET SAS, RESETTPMS....
I'll take a stab.. I just got my iCarScan up and running so was looking at these as well... Here is what I know.. or think I know.

RESTBLEED - Resets the system after a brake system bleed is performed and/or to put the system for some vehicles into an open mode to permit brake bleeding. ( I assume because of ABS and Traction control systems etc...)
RESETBMS - Reset for the Battery Management System. Assume used if/when a new battery is installed and/or when a problem with the system is observed.
RESETBRAKE - Resets the system (wear sensors etc... service intervals) after a brake pad/rotor repair or replacement. May also be for reseting/releasing the electronic parking brake on some.
RESETDPF - Reset the Diesel Particluate Filter system.. presumably after filter changes or other system maintenance and/or as part "ReGen" process.a
Elec Throttle - For drive by wire vehciles, adjsutment or reset.
Gear Learn - Transmission related, not exactly sure how it works. Assume you may be able to re-program gearing to the transmission computer if it is lost or corrupted.
IMMO/ Immobilizer - for some vehicles will permit programming of new, and removal of old keys with Chip and Immobilizer features.
RESET OIL - Just that reset the service interval after Oil service, some vehicles have to be done through the OBD. Also can allow adjustment of the interval itself (mileage)
RESET SAS - Steering And Suspension system.. also can be Steering Angle Sensor.
REST TPMS - Tire Pressure Monitor System. Some cars can only carry 4 wheel ID's at a time, require reset to clear and learn new ID's (Summer and Winter) Some require reset to remove old ID's (dead sensors)

I think I have all the systems identified properly but admittedly taking a stab at the exact purpose/need for the reset function with each. It will likely vary between manufacturer and models exactly what the function is able to accomplish for you.

MK

Quick Reply: ICarScan X431 Tool Available again.