Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meet Otis

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 11:14 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We were asked how our HAM radio and antenna are mounted. Some mount the antenna to the bush bar, we chose to mount to the roof rack. Then routed the cable thru the rubber boot next to the tailgate hinge. The power for the aux taillights is routed through the rubber boot by the right hinge. Preferred doing this to avoid drilling holes or crimping the passenger door weather seal. Then it goes down to the spare tire well where the radio lives. Note we tossed the donut spare as it is useless off-road. The wires then go up front to the head unit which is secured where the ash tray was. The radio cable comes up from under the dash as does the mike cable. The mike is in the lower left of the photo, like that the mike also has a keypad to make programing easier. The radio speaker is also mounted below the dash. Very pleased with our Kenwood 710, puts out 50w vs only 5w for most handhelds. Still learning all of its functions and capabilities. The HAM radio was especially useful when my wife spotted a forest fire that had just broken out two valley's west of the ridge we were on. The report was then relayed via other HAMs onto the forest service. Any questions please let us know.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:08 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Hey Richard, thanks for sharing as always.

Did you disable the rear parkassist as I see you didn't relocate the sensors in the rear?
Old 01-02-2018, 02:41 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
Hey Richard, thanks for sharing as always.
Did you disable the rear parkassist as I see you didn't relocate the sensors in the rear?
garrett376, thanks! we enjoy sharing as the Cayenne is truly worthy for off-road overlanding and endurance rally. Last summer at a four day off-road vehicle event we had four Cayenne's attend. They are accepted by the off-road community, 'Otis' led the first off-road trek of last summers event.
The rear park assist sensors are actually above the Hitch-gate tire carrier. We sometimes get unwanted feedback but not often. The front sensors work great we only get feedback when the 2" receiver is attached as it protrudes from the bush bar. Around town, where we need the sensors most, everything works. When on off-road trips, with the front receiver mounted, we do disable the sensors as they are not needed.
As noted to killer2001's post about adding / moving parking sensors:
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2001
That's a great idea. I was thinking of taking it a step further and buying extra sensors for the push bumper and setting up a toggle switch that disables the factory front bumper sensors and enables the new sensors I place into the push bumper. That way I can keep the factory sensors in-tact and if I ever wanted to revert back it would be relatively easy. Do you know off hand the part number for the parking sensors themselves? Thanks.
killer2001
- Couple of lessons we learned when relocating our parking sensors to the bush bar:
Be very careful when removing the sensors and disconnecting the wires. When relocating the sensors the holders must be very secure and mounted so that the sensors will not move or vibrate. The wires on the back side also must be very secure and not vibrate, do not want moisture/water to intrude or for the connectors to come loose. Sounds intuitive but they are very sensitive about this. Also if you are going to add sensors, mock it up prior to drilling holes to confirm whether the can bus will have issues with the additional sensors. Lastly, if any part of your bar protrudes beyond where they are mounted it will set them off.

This was our first time leading a trail run for Overlanders. Sugarloaf Mountain Look-Out was cold, damp, and raining.

'Otis' and another good looking off-road Cayenne at the Northwest Overland event. Note how nicely they mounted their winch inside the nose cowl!

Last edited by RS-America; 01-02-2018 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added text
The following users liked this post:
imhighlander (11-02-2022)
Old 01-06-2018, 09:45 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Epic thread! Love seeing cayennes being used!
Old 04-01-2018, 10:00 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Here is an article published last week in The Auto Reporter on the Alcan5000 Rally!
Like the photo they included of 'Otis' sitting at the start line for the Ice Stage
on “Vee Lake” outside of Yellowknife.
We had a lot of fun running thru the forest with the two Ford Raptors.

http://www.theautoreporter.com/guest-the-alcan-winter-rally-real-adventure-big-fun/

They also included a mention of the upcoming Novice orientated 2018 Raindrop Rally TSD that we are Rally Masters for.
Of 20 plus a 924 is the
latest entry, plenty of room for more P-cars!
https://www.rainierautosports.com/ev...op/default.htm

Last edited by RS-America; 04-01-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:04 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Washington State DOT has extended the date for using studded tires to 15-April
Looks like 'Otis' will get the opportunity for another run thru the snow & ice!

Old 04-26-2018, 09:28 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Well it was time to take the winter studs off and put the knobby Grabber AT2s back on. Will replace these for an off-road run starting in Yaak, Montana this summer. This will be our sixth year using Grabbers have never let us down on any trip
Considering a change to BFG KO2s. Has anyone had experience with the BFG KO2s on a Cayenne?

Old 04-27-2018, 04:35 PM
red95993
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am on my second set of BFG KO2s. First set lasted about 40K which I thought was pretty good considering all the abuse they took. I usually run Michelin Latitude Tours on 19" rims about half the year. The BFG's are not too bad on the street. They definitely do not corner like the Michelins but you have to take that into account while driving. Off road I go most places I used to in my older CJ-3A's and Blazers. Except for the rocks/boulders!

I usually run the air suspension at normal and raise it up to Terrain level when off road. I have used the Special Terrain level a few times but didn't really find it necessary. I have no rubbing issues with the 265/65 size.
From my experience with the BFG's from the past, I feel fully confident in them on all levels. The key with the Cayenne is to make sure they are balanced correctly.

RS-America (03-14-2020)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomF
Wow, simply spectacular! You've got me thinking about the upcoming 2018 event...
Cheers, TomF
Tom, the 2018 ALCAN is fix'n to get on the way from the Totem Lake Hotel, Kirkland WA
While we did not enter to run, we will be helping with the start on Sunday and Monday August 19 & 20
The start is right behind Cafe
Veloce. Here is the itinerary: https://www.alcan5000.com/2018itin.htm
Current entries 30 vehicles and 28 dual sport bikes.

Summer ALCAN route map as a .pdf - https://www.alcan5000.com/pdf/Alcan2018.pdf

Most anything is possible at the Northwest Overland Rally with an experienced spotter! - 2018

Last edited by RS-America; 08-12-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:03 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Love your lead Richard. I've always enjoyed chatting with you and Dolores at the NWOR's.

Some more fun 958 overlanding pics here (my friend Mike's Umber before I got my Meteor--notice his Porsche aluminum rock rails hidden there on the sides);

Last edited by jeremy@matrix; 08-29-2018 at 05:34 PM.
RS-America (03-14-2020)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:11 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Very nicely sorted rig!
Lets do a trip together soon.

Last edited by RS-America; 08-30-2018 at 03:17 AM. Reason: format
Old 08-30-2018, 03:12 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeremy@matrix
Love your lead Richard. I've always enjoyed chatting with you and Dolores at the NWOR's.
Some more fun 958 overlanding pics here (my friend Mike's Umber before I got my Meteor--notice his Porsche aluminum rock rails hidden there on the sides);
Do you know of anyone selling Overlanding gear in Northwest Oregon? We found the Snow Peak store but aside from their grill do not see getting anything else.
Looking for a source for Front Runner roof racks and gear. Our Yakima racks are not working for us, the cross tubes shift and the basket shifts around. We do not have it overloaded with too much weight.
We have done the entire WABDR from Canada/Nighthawk to Oregon/Bridge of the Gods. They have detours around the difficult sections, we never took the detours. Also did the Applegate Trail / Fields Station / Black Rock Desert.
Would love to get a trip together - as you know one does not need half the stuff we have to go off-road in a Cayenne. Just a full tank of fuel and good tires!
We intend to visit Portland soon as I would like to visit with the Come-Up winch folks in Clackamas, OR. Also an excuse to hit the Horse Brass and Pambiche
What kind of winch do you have?
Just for fun, stock 911s are worthy off road. This one from Portland crossed the finish line of the ALCAN 5000 yesterday. We have just submitted our entry to do the winter ALCAN in 2020, it fills up fast. Here is the route the summer 2018 run took - http://www.alcan5000.com/pdf/Alcan2018.pdf

imhighlander (11-02-2022)
Old 08-30-2018, 11:53 AM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by RS-America
Very nicely sorted rig!
Lets do a trip together soon.
Two of them; Mike's Umber(1st-3rd), my Meteor(4th pic).
Sounds good, even for a short WA trip!
Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Jeremy I believe your friend is on over at Expeditionportal.com

RS-America, you should join Expedition Portal as well. their is a Cayenne thread over in the over overland vehicles section. I used to have an older 4runner that I took all over North America with and plan on doing the same with my Cayenne when I get one (will do a lot less heavy trails that I did in the 4runner however.)
Old 08-30-2018, 12:58 PM
jeremy@matrix
Racer

Originally Posted by RS-America
Do you know of anyone selling Overlanding gear in Northwest Oregon? We found the Snow Peak store but aside from their grill do not see getting anything else.
Looking for a source for Front Runner roof racks and gear. Our Yakima racks are not working for us, the cross tubes shift and the basket shifts around. We do not have it overloaded with too much weight.
We have done the entire WABDR from Canada/Nighthawk to Oregon/Bridge of the Gods. They have detours around the difficult sections, we never took the detours. Also did the Applegate Trail / Fields Station / Black Rock Desert.
Would love to get a trip together - as you know one does not need half the stuff we have to go off-road in a Cayenne. Just a full tank of fuel and good tires!
We intend to visit Portland soon as I would like to visit with the Come-Up winch folks in Clackamas, OR. Also an excuse to hit the Horse Brass and Pambiche
What kind of winch do you have?
Just for fun, stock 911s are worthy off road. This one from Portland crossed the finish line of the ALCAN 5000 yesterday. We have just submitted our entry to do the winter ALCAN in 2020, it fills up fast. Here is the route the summer 2018 run took - http://www.alcan5000.com/pdf/Alcan2018.pdf
There are a few selling FR gear in PDX, but no one will have anything in stock. Mike had to order in his FR rack, and it took some time to get the rack to fit (using some non-FR bits) and clear the pano roof.
He's had no issues with the FR rack (neither have I on my overland vehicles); great pieces of kit!
Good to hear on the entire WABDR; down south it can get pretty overgrown and free unwanted pinstripes(Mike did much of it in his previous Jeep Earthroamer XV-JP).
Mike has the ComeUp DV-6S electric; http://www.comeupwinch.com/pro/detai...&cid=128&f=102 . We installed an Anderson-connector wiring loom out of the battery box(under the driver seat), and the loom sits coiled up in the pass rear footwell. He can run any one of the fridge/freezers(Engel, Nat'l Luna) off that too.
Say hi to Ben at ComeUp, great guy, excellent products!

Wow on the stock 997(although it looks lowered), I wouldn't have thought a lowered sportscar would be a vehicle of choice on the Alcan. Happen to remember their names? I'm curious if they're ORPCA members and would love to chat with them about their experience.

Is the next "summer" Alcan in 2022 then?

PS--shouldn't the moderators move this thread to the 958 section?

Quick Reply: Meet Otis