Sponsored by:

Push Bumper Porsche Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 07:57 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Bumper Porsche Cayenne

So ever since I bought my CTT I really wanted a front push bumper bar installed. Partially because I think it gives it a more rugged look and to actually push **** if I ever needed to... I didn't really see any good ones out there specifically for the vehicle so I decided to mock one up myself.

I purchased a SETINA push bumper for a Police Interceptor Ford Explorer, needless to say the dimensions are damn near perfect for our Cayenne's. Welded some thick steel plate to the factory tow hooks all the way around for the mounting point. And my friend who is a welder fabricated up some bracketry to make it all go on there relatively easy. Took maybe a couple hours from start to finish!

Only issue I'm having now is the parking assist sensors are going off in the front. None of the actual sensors are blocked but their angle viewpoint is obviously capturing the push bar. Is there any way to deactivate the parking assist by default? Or any type of auto learn function so that it may treat the push bar as an extension of the vehicle. A bit of a nuisance having to disable the parking assist each time I start the vehicle, lol.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

You can have the dealer disable the park assist completely. That is your option. Looks like you have a truck in the background that would be great for this type of task. I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:16 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Looks like you have a truck in the background that would be great for this type of task. I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit.
That is my friend's truck. And he beats the hell out of it that's for sure!
Old 01-01-2018, 03:06 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit.

So you can fix your park assist problem by removing the sensors from the bumper, extending the wiring, and then installing them into the lower bar of your added bumper. Same thing was done here in post #7:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html
Old 01-01-2018, 03:11 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrett376

So you can fix your park assist problem by removing the sensors from the bumper, extending the wiring, and then installing them into the lower bar of your added bumper. Same thing was done here in post #7:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html
That's a great idea. I was thinking of taking it a step further and buying extra sensors for the push bumper and setting up a toggle switch that disables the factory front bumper sensors and enables the new sensors I place into the push bumper. That way I can keep the factory sensors in-tact and if I ever wanted to revert back it would be relatively easy. Do you know off hand the part number for the parking sensors themselves? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:14 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

955 606 275 06
Old 01-01-2018, 03:18 PM
killer2001
Advanced

Originally Posted by garrett376
955 606 275 06
Excellent. You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2018, 03:34 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

I just threw up in my mouth a lil bit.
Me too.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-01-2018, 03:59 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by TomF
Me too.
Me three. Definitely one of those "y tho?" moments?

Me, would not want that much weight added to the nose. Oversteer can be challenging enough with a Cayenne, putting more weight, higher up, in the front... does not seem like a wise plan.

But hey, clearly he thinks it's a fine idea, whom am I to care?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:43 PM
RS-America
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by killer2001
That's a great idea. I was thinking of taking it a step further and buying extra sensors for the push bumper and setting up a toggle switch that disables the factory front bumper sensors and enables the new sensors I place into the push bumper. That way I can keep the factory sensors in-tact and if I ever wanted to revert back it would be relatively easy. Do you know off hand the part number for the parking sensors themselves? Thanks.
killer2001 - Couple of lessons we learned when relocating our parking sensors to the bush bar:
Be very careful when removing the sensors and disconnecting the wires. When relocating the sensors the holders must be very secure and mounted so that the sensors will not move or vibrate. The wires on the back side also must be very secure and not vibrate, do not want moisture/water to intrude or for the connectors to come loose. Sounds intuitive but they are very sensitive about this. Also if you are going to add sensors, mock it up prior to drilling holes to confirm whether the can bus will have issues with the additional sensors. Lastly, if any part of your bar protrudes beyond where they are mounted it will set them off.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:34 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 224 Posts

Can that thing take a deer hit?
Old 01-04-2018, 12:30 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
Can that thing take a deer hit?
In the offroading crowd bars like that are known as "Damage Multipliers". They have a certain ability under surprisingly light impacts to have the top push into the hood taking out that as well as the grill. The ones that are especially bad also have the hoops that go out and around the headlights, wrecking them and the fenders. A small bumper crush then turns into needing a new hood and fenders and often more.
This what you need for deer:
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Deluxe-B...050-P3280.aspx
Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mtnrat
That was my impression also. Animal strikes are never in just one place, nor does anything really disperse enough of their impact before transferring it to the underlying structure of the vehicle. Designed-in crush zones get bypassed and much greater structure damage occurs instead of being absorbed by easier-to-replace body panels. The push bars are not there for sudden impacts.

Quick Reply: Push Bumper Porsche Cayenne