Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 03:46 PM
jacqueusi
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You won't need the latest and greatest to support CarPlay, just Android 4.2 or greater. You might want to consider Jonathan H's offer ;-)

To get CarPlay working requires the dongle I listed above. $31.99 at the moment on Amazon.com

Caveat with Xtrons. Returning isn't Amazon.com straightforward.I had ordered two units and I thought the first was defective. The process is you request a return in Amazon, Xtrons MUST approve the return, and then you follow Xtron's return process. That included my shipping the HU to their warehouse in California at your expense ($30), you send them the receipt, they reimburse shipping, and currently I am waiting for the refund of the unit I shipped out.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:42 AM
jacqueusi
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Xtrons vis Amazon.com is legit. I got a full refund including S&H notice from Amazon this morning. I shipped the Unit back this past Saturday. Sid3ways, if you head over to the Metro Detroit area, I have some various connectors left from my install. The relay switch for the rear camera for example, only sold in pairs.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:04 PM
Potential
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shalz
Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect, but can anyone help / guide me to how to get sound?

The original FM and GPS cables and power all work, just no sound.

Everyone else without BOSE seems to have easily done this so feel like I'm missing something obvious? Does the speaker wiring loom need to be connected and the red and white inputs connected to the power harness ones?
Hi Shalz.

Did you manage to solve this no sound problem for the non-Bose non Fibre optical PCM 3.0?

,I am also having a similar system and I experiencing the same problem of no sound while everything else works

may you please share the solution:-)

Thnx.

Last edited by Potential; 02-01-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:47 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Since this thread was just bumped, I did by the way just upgrade my Seicane HU to their latest bestest which was only like $350 I think. Made my wife give it to me for Christmas and my scheduled install was the 28th. The update solved all of my complaints about the old Seicane I ran for years on android 4.4.1. Ancient. Now we have Bluetooth streaming, voice activated keyboard, more storage, all problems solved. Most important thing with Seicane is to never have to call them, worst customer service on the planet and I'm no DIY guy. Luckily everything worked well. Very satisfied. I love these flat screens but they're a bitch to type on esp when trying to drive so being able to speak to the system is huge. No worries about mistyping or anything, major safety improvement being able to just tell Waze where I want to go or tell Alexa what to play. My daughter is a Spotify user and prefers to control from her phone and she never liked my system until now.
The following users liked this post:
Potential (02-02-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:00 AM
quattro_97
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long time lurker, first time post!

I wanted to check in for any updates on how the Xtrons unit has been fairing?

I have 2008 Cayenne S with the Bose system. I'm a big Dynavin fan and am on my 2nd upgraded unit (N6) and now looking at changing over to the Xtrons.

A few things that attracts me to the Xtrons unit:
1. Dual canbus, which means the unit will display information on the multi function display on the dash. Can anyone confirm?
2. HDMI output - I am going to update my headrest monitors soon and will prefer the clarity of an HDMI signal rather than using RCA cables
3. Option to have DSP added to the unit. I contacted Xtrons and they confirmed this is do-able.

That said, I do have hesitations:
1. Loss of volume ****. This would probably be the biggest drawback for me. I'm curious how others feel about losing the volume **** and has it been a significant inconvenience?
2. Glare - has screen glare been an issue? I deal with it on the Dynavin but in general its not too bad.
3. Brightness control. One feature I love about the Dynavin is the built in light sensor which will automatically dims the screen in low light settings. I'm curious what others are using in the android units to eliminate nighttime glare.

To the last poster, I've also had experience with Seicane and I couldnt agree more about their terrible customer service. I'm glad to hear you haven't had issues with the new unit. For me, even the slightest possibility of having to reach out to them for support is enough to make Seicane a hard pass. They're an absolutely nightmare to communicate with!
lkraav (08-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by quattro_97
1. Loss of volume ****. This would probably be the biggest drawback for me. I'm curious how others feel about losing the volume **** and has it been a significant inconvenience?

To the last poster, I've also had experience with Seicane and I couldnt agree more about their terrible customer service. I'm glad to hear you haven't had issues with the new unit. For me, even the slightest possibility of having to reach out to them for support is enough to make Seicane a hard pass. They're an absolutely nightmare to communicate with!
I had a look at the other android units. Bottom line for me was the Seicane unit functioned flawlessly for four years. The best answer to awful customer service is to not need customer service. Seicane was the devil that I knew and I believed a direct replacement would be the least problematic. I have no way of knowing if the other units would have proved more difficult, but this was a near trouble free installation. I have everything I cared about and zero troubles so I'm fully satisfied. I will tell you one thing though, I tried to ask a question of Xtron and I had JUST AS MUCH trouble with them trying to get a simple answer to a simple question, four attempts to get them to answer whether their units do Bluetooth streaming and the guy that finally said he understood English AND the question said it does not. Again, he said their units don't support Bluetooth streaming. I'm pretty sure he was wrong, but that's also bad right? I told them whether I bought their unit or not hinged on the answer, had to beg them to get me a real answer, and they told me they don't support Bluetooth streaming. That was the point when I just figured they all have horrible customer service and went with the devil that I know.

On the volume ****, it's definitely an issue for passengers. The tiny flat panel control on the left side of the screen is really hard to see and keep tapping over and over from the pax seat. My kids will still try but the wife always asks me to turn it up and I remind the kids it's easier for me from the wheel as well. But all in all it's worth it for the look. It isn't too much of a bother.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:34 PM
Potential
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Potential
Hi Shalz.

Did you manage to solve this no sound problem for the non-Bose non Fibre optical PCM 3.0?

,I am also having a similar system and I experiencing the same problem of no sound while everything else works

may you please share the solution:-)

Thnx.
Never minds, I found a working solution, the remote amplifier switch on for the 2009 Porsche GTS non Bose system is a red and white cable, PIN number 4 on the small blue connector.

All works fine now.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM
Mykillmyers
1st Gear

Hey all new here just bought my 2005 porsche cayenne S with a bose system just found out what a ball a**e this will be any one that can give a low cist step by step guide would be a star 🌟
Old 02-24-2021, 08:09 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mykillmyers
Hey all new here just bought my 2005 porsche cayenne S with a bose system just found out what a ball a**e this will be any one that can give a low cist step by step guide would be a star 🌟
I made a YouTube video and rennlist thread and am happy to walk you through it. I also have a left over Android head unit kit I will sell cheap.

I didn't post a part 2 on YouTube but there are videos I linked in the YouTube video comments that give most of the remaining steps.

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...torials-4.html

Last edited by Jonathan H; 02-24-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:42 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About to pull the trigger on an android unit. One of my pet peeves is an interface that isn't snappy. Can anyone of you guys share with me your opinions on the responsiveness of your headunit and what CPU/ram combo it is running? Thank you!

Edit: Another question. Do we need to buy the additional TPMS module with these android head units or will the oem TPMS module still work? Thanks!

Last edited by MrRoboto; 03-08-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:54 AM
sgtm7
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRoboto
About to pull the trigger on an android unit. One of my pet peeves is an interface that isn't snappy. Can anyone of you guys share with me your opinions on the responsiveness of your headunit and what CPU/ram combo it is running? Thank you!

Edit: Another question. Do we need to buy the additional TPMS module with these android head units or will the oem TPMS module still work? Thanks!
As long as you don't get a unit with less than 2G of RAM, then responsiveness will be fine. The more RAM the better. I would shoot for a minimum of 4G RAM/64G ROM unit. Some are out with 6G/128.
MrRoboto (03-09-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 03:28 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MrRoboto

I bought my second Android HU about a year ago. I got a PX6 chipset with 4GB system RAM. I wouldn't buy anything less powerful. The price of the best units aren't materially more expensive than the older ones. There may be better now.

If you have factory TPMS it should still work on the dash, but will not talk to your new HU.

If you want to add TPMS, there are cheap Chinese kits with internally mounted sensors that work great. Search my posts on this forum for a review I did.
MrRoboto (03-15-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 05:32 AM
Greg Hand
AutoX

Default Seicane android head unit

I have an seicane android unit I have had it in the car for about a year and it has worked perfectly I recently removed it to run some cameras to it and when I tried to power it up it won’t turn on. I have checked and It seems to have no acc power coming out of the unit. I ran the main power wire to the acc wire and it works but has no sound. I’m thinking I may have fried the can bus as the steering wheel buttons no longer work when connected to main power and there is no information on the dashboard. Has anyone had any trouble with the acc wire ( red wire ) not putting out power?? All the fuses are ok so I’m at a loss as to why it’s not working other than I have stuffed the can bus

Old 03-21-2021, 08:14 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Hand
I have an seicane android unit I have had it in the car for about a year and it has worked perfectly I recently removed it to run some cameras to it and when I tried to power it up it won’t turn on. I have checked and It seems to have no acc power coming out of the unit. I ran the main power wire to the acc wire and it works but has no sound. I’m thinking I may have fried the can bus as the steering wheel buttons no longer work when connected to main power and there is no information on the dashboard. Has anyone had any trouble with the acc wire ( red wire ) not putting out power?? All the fuses are ok so I’m at a loss as to why it’s not working other than I have stuffed the can bus
Sounds more like something wrong with your supply power...maybe faulty connection or soft ground. It sounds like your MOST box isn't getting power either. When you had it working properly you were tapped into the factory harness for both constant power and acc power. Measure those voltages and tell me what they are with car off and with car on.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:31 AM
Greg Hand
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
Sounds more like something wrong with your supply power...maybe faulty connection or soft ground. It sounds like your MOST box isn't getting power either. When you had it working properly you were tapped into the factory harness for both constant power and acc power. Measure those voltages and tell me what they are with car off and with car on.
its booked in to an auto electrician tomorrow morning so I will
see if they can sort it out. But what you have said makes sense. It gets power to the unit through the constant power and out of the unit with constant power just not the acc out of the unit to the canbus and Fiber optic decoder so there is something going on with the power supply 👍

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review