What type of SD does this radio use?
Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nuckingfuts
What type of SD does this radio use?
You talking to me?

If you mean SD, like SD card then presumably it has a micro SD card inside since the radio came with an empty SD clamshell in the box from the vendor. Externally there are no SD slots, but one of the harnesses has (3) USB 2.0 ports on it. I keep a 128GB USB flash card permanently attached to one port and it holds an obscene amount of media. It's awesome. Currently, I have one of the USB ports replacing one of the blanking plates at the top of my dash, the other two are behind the radio. I want to break them out somewhere like glovebox or ashtray, but haven't done that yet, need to see some good pics of how to route it.

cheers,
c
Old 08-27-2018, 09:43 PM
nuckingfuts
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading somewhere you can upload a porsche logo through the GPS or Sim card slot.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 PM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by nuckingfuts
I was reading somewhere you can upload a porsche logo through the GPS or Sim card slot.
It had the Porsche logo programmed already from the vendor. BUT, you only see the logo when it boots which takes like 10 seconds. If you set it to just standby when the car is off, it is on instantly when the car starts and you don't see the logo since it resumes where you left off. But yeah, if you want to wait for a 10 second boot on each start, you will see the Porsche logo, it's programmable, many options.

cheers,
c
Old 08-28-2018, 12:08 PM
jbaker136
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968

You talking to me?

If you mean SD, like SD card then presumably it has a micro SD card inside since the radio came with an empty SD clamshell in the box from the vendor. Externally there are no SD slots, but one of the harnesses has (3) USB 2.0 ports on it. I keep a 128GB USB flash card permanently attached to one port and it holds an obscene amount of media. It's awesome. Currently, I have one of the USB ports replacing one of the blanking plates at the top of my dash, the other two are behind the radio. I want to break them out somewhere like glovebox or ashtray, but haven't done that yet, need to see some good pics of how to route it.

cheers,
c
Hey vandal968, did you make the USB switch cover? If so, any tips and what USB cable did you start with? I picked one up off Amazon but its too small to fill the blank hole and too large to cut out the original switch cover with a hole. Thanks

Jeff
Old 08-28-2018, 02:07 PM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by jbaker136
Hey vandal968, did you make the USB switch cover? If so, any tips and what USB cable did you start with? I picked one up off Amazon but its too small to fill the blank hole and too large to cut out the original switch cover with a hole. Thanks

Jeff
Yup. I ordered several before I found the perfect one on Amazon, the bezel is EXACTLY the same size as the cutout in the dash. Take out your existing blanking plate, then use a razor saw and cut off the part that's visible thru the dash hole to exactly the same depth as the thickness of the new cable faceplate, then epoxy them together. Once cured, click it back into the dash, looks 100% oem. I think I had to cut mine at a very slight angle to get a perfect match.

Amazon Amazon

cheers,
c
Old 09-08-2018, 06:48 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I am 75% finished installing Android head unit in my other Cayenne. I've taken tons of videos and will be editing it down to a reasonable length How-To video over the next week. It should be fairly comprehensive to give even non DIY inclined people confidence to proceed and join those of us living in the future.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Michael (06-17-2024)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:19 PM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
I am 75% finished installing Android head unit in my other Cayenne. I've taken tons of videos and will be editing it down to a reasonable length How-To video over the next week. It should be fairly comprehensive to give even non DIY inclined people confidence to proceed and join those of us living in the future.
Sounds great. Did you bring the USB connectors out somewhere handy like glovebox or ashtray? I'd like to do that as well, so far I only have one connector that's accessible.

cheers,
c
Old 09-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I could not for the life of me find a way to route a USB cable behind the radio anywhere!

I almost gave up installing the backup camera but finally found a hole using a long zip tie to pull the wires through. The USB was too large to fit through though

The only problem we've had with ours is the Bluetooth only works about half the time, the other times it just won't connect and is invisible to our phones.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:38 PM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I was easily able to bring the backup camera cable down the passenger side A-pillar and behind the glove box. Basically a right hand passing to left hand thing there. As for the USB, I ran that under the center console, beside the shift selector and popped it up in the lower center storage bin.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Yesterday I made a video of me running the USB wire. Maybe not where you want it but I think it's a great location. YouTube doesn't like that I spliced 3 videos together on my phone so hopefully this link works

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fXaihqjZxfYA1WDCA

As for Bluetooth I'm interested to know which model exactly did you get? I've done 3 in two months and two connect flawlessly but the first one only connects sometimes.

You can also consider running the USB backwards through the hole you found. The pin connector fits through a lot more spaces.

Last edited by Jonathan H; 09-11-2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:26 PM
vandal968
Pro

Very helpful video, thanks Jonathan.

cheers,
c
Old 09-12-2018, 02:36 AM
Jonathan H
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vandal968
Very helpful video, thanks Jonathan.

cheers,
c
you're welcome. I tried running it into the ashtray but the best I could do without drilling ended up with the ashtray not opening and closing properly. I think the method I video'd can maybe be stuck into the ashtray I'll verify. something like this may be best ashtray option without drilling:
Amazon Amazon

I ordered one just now so I can report back
Old 09-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Mr. Merk
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan H
As for Bluetooth I'm interested to know which model exactly did you get? I've done 3 in two months and two connect flawlessly but the first one only connects sometimes.
I got the 9" HD 1024x600 Android 8.0 Octa Core 4GB RAM 32GB ROM from AliExpress from ShenZhen Burgeon Technology Co.,Ltd
Old 09-12-2018, 12:10 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
I could not for the life of me find a way to route a USB cable behind the radio anywhere!

I almost gave up installing the backup camera but finally found a hole using a long zip tie to pull the wires through. The USB was too large to fit through though

The only problem we've had with ours is the Bluetooth only works about half the time, the other times it just won't connect and is invisible to our phones.
If it comes to it, you can always cut the usb end off, run the wire and then resolder it. Or splice two cables together. USB 2.0 is pretty tolerant. It's just 4 wires.

+5V, ground, data positive, and data ground.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review