Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 06:46 PM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Four months and I just found out you don't have to tap tap tap the volume up and down. Just hold the steering wheel button for more than 1 second and it starts. No one ever pointed that out. Doh! One less gripe. Also you must close the last app for the steering wheel controls to work on the current app. It's been working great with Stellio music file player. Matched the car orange lighting.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:04 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal 2000
...you must close the last app for the steering wheel controls to work on the current app...
Mine doesnt have that issue at all- what apps are you using? I was impressed that if the radio is playing, and I open youtube then youtube takes over the audio when I press play on a video. I can open maps, but the steering wheel controls will still skip videos of youtube in the background. I can open IheartRadio, and steering wheel controls follow again. I can flip between apps and the steering wheel controls follow which ever app is currently playing audio. Never had it miss, but sometimes there is a 1 second delay after too many apps are open.

How do you get yours to fail?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:33 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

When the radio was on last, Spotify and Stellio file player will not have steering wheel controls. Close the radio with the back arrow, and steering controls on both work fine. The built in music file player always worked with steering controls. It was just Spotify that I really needed steering controls because I have a ton of offline playlists there. All good now. I think I have finally bonded with this thing.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Were the steering wheel controls plug and play or did you have to splice ??

Last edited by Just_Dirty; 03-06-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Just_Dirty
Were the steering wheel controls plug and play or did you have to splice ??
plug and play
Old 03-11-2017, 03:47 PM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave such great information in this thread.

My initial install went off without a hitch. I have not installed the backup cam or front camera yet, and also have not mounted my mic (and IR receiver for the TV module) in a permanent place yet, they're just hanging out of the center speaker grill. I also want to find a good place to make the USB ports accessible. But that kind of work is for another much warmer day. I'm just happy to have bluetooth.

Currently syncing music with DoubleTwist airsync, which I'd been using for my android phone. It's a bit odd to leave the pig idling in the driveway and see "Cayenne Turbo" as a sync destination from my desktop machine.......

FYI, Bose system, used the Seicane MOST adapter and set the volume to really damn loud and EQ to flat before pulling the PCM. Sounds as good as the PCM, possibly even a bit better with some EQ tweaking.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:07 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Originally Posted by DarylJ
....Currently syncing music with DoubleTwist airsync, which I'd been using for my android phone. It's a bit odd to leave the pig idling in the driveway...
Great job! There is a poweroff setting to delay shutdown. I think I sent mine to 10min after the cars is switched off. It thwn auto magically connects to home wifi and resyncs music each time I pull into the garage. Let me know if you can't find setting. Enjoy!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:33 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Does the screen stay on for the 10 minutes too?
Old 03-13-2017, 08:40 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Originally Posted by nodoors
Does the screen stay on for the 10 minutes too?
nope
Old 03-13-2017, 10:43 AM
DarylJ
Three Wheelin'

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Great job! There is a poweroff setting to delay shutdown. I think I sent mine to 10min after the cars is switched off. It thwn auto magically connects to home wifi and resyncs music each time I pull into the garage. Let me know if you can't find setting. Enjoy!
Yes! It's an amazingly helpful feature. I set that up and it's enough time for subsequent syncing, but the initial sync took about 30 minutes.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:33 AM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

How did you guys wire up the reverse camera? Specifically the trigger wire to let the unit know to switch the monitor to the reverse cam. I'm not seeing a 'reverse trigger' wire on the back of the Seicane unit.

Last edited by Just_Dirty; 03-16-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:54 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

The Seicane does not use a reverse trigger wire. I suspect it gets the info from the canbus. There is a wire labeled reverse, but I think its powered 12+ by the seicane when reverse is detected. Are you using the OEM reverse camera or aftermarket? I did a quick write up back on page 15 about how to make the porsche coo-coo-clock camera popout.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:15 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

...or in my case it just doesn't work, haha. I had to hook it up to the aux in and manually select when I need it, LOL.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:48 AM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Originally Posted by morrisdl
The Seicane does not use a reverse trigger wire. I suspect it gets the info from the canbus. There is a wire labeled reverse, but I think its powered 12+ by the seicane when reverse is detected. Are you using the OEM reverse camera or aftermarket? I did a quick write up back on page 15 about how to make the porsche coo-coo-clock camera popout.
Im using an aftermarket reverse cam similar to the Seicane.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Just_Dirty
Advanced

Originally Posted by nodoors
...or in my case it just doesn't work, haha. I had to hook it up to the aux in and manually select when I need it, LOL.
You have to be joking

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review