9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:26 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kirk Danielson
Pics
Would you be willing to take some high-light pics of your radio? I'd probably be going with this model vs the 9" because I like physical button/dials and believe it flows with the otherwise-button-heavy interior of these cars.

I'm a little concerned about readability in bright and sunny conditions though.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Kirk Danielson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I will. I have noticed that if the light is at the right angle it turns into a bit of a mirror.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:08 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone know how these aftermarket stereos turn on without an accessory wire? I would love to have it come on instead with the dome light when I unlock the car.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 PM
RickGrimes
Intermediate

OP

My unit came with 2 (approx 3 metre) wiring harnesses that the seller says I must install 1 of them to work with the Bose in my CTT.
Do you know if I have to feed this to the amp beside the CD changer in the boot/trunk or is there somewhere closer to the HU.

Thanks

RG
Old 07-11-2016, 08:28 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Vendor is wrong. I didn't use any of the 3 meter harnesses in my BOSE install. The MOST interface is what sends the non-amplified audio signals to the BOSE amps. I think the seicane head unit has some amplification and could drive basic speakers in a non-bose setup.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 AM
RickGrimes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Vendor is wrong. I didn't use any of the 3 meter harnesses in my BOSE install. The MOST interface is what sends the non-amplified audio signals to the BOSE amps. I think the seicane head unit has some amplification and could drive basic speakers in a non-bose setup.
Ok. Thanks for that info. These are 2 screenshots of the unit I bought from eBay UK it was delivered from London but of course originates from China
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2016, 01:41 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickGrimes
Ok. Thanks for that info. These are 2 screenshots of the unit I bought from eBay UK it was delivered from London but of course originates from China
Thats a weird one. It looks like they are trying to bypass the bose amp and run of their own. I would think that is is easier to just get a Bose MOST adapter.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:56 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

1. Start TERMINAL EMULATOR
2. Execute Superuser: su
3. Go to partition directory: cd /dev/block/by-name
4. Copy to SD Card:
dd if=boot of=/extsd0/boot.img bs=4096
dd if=bootloader of=/extsd0/bootloader.img bs=4096
dd if=env of=/extsd0/env.img bs=4096

Old 07-13-2016, 04:11 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

Jim reminded me that I never documented the way I got the Porsche Backup Camera working with the Seicane....Much of this was aggregated info from other posts. I wish I had the all original authors names to credit: Ref Thread

Need a FAKRA male to RCA male adaptor to get the signal to the Android head unit. Triggering the coo-coo-clock backup camera is more difficult: so it works with a 30A 4 pole Bosch-style relay. Basically the circuit closes when the reverse light goes on -> camera pops out.

I've found out that on the Becker CIII Plug, the Brown wire was a Ground wire and the Blue wire was a +12V CONST wire. When the Blue wire made a circuit with ANY Ground wire , the camera popped out of the back. Need a mechanism that kept the circuit open during ignition off/idle condition, but closed the circuit when the car was put into reverse... some kind of open relay switch that was activated by a purple reverse signal wire. The factory PCM must have had this function built-in, which read the signal from the CAN-BUS and closed the circuit on these two wires.

Confirming from ref post the blue wire in the pic is the camera function wire whereby when connected to ground (GND/car chassis) the camera motor operates and it is powered to give a video signal. i tested this by cutting this blue wire and grounding it. The relay is required to be connected as mentioned in Matli's wonderful sketch, the blue wire 12V+ goes to the POLE/COM/V0/(30) pin of the relay while the reverse signal wire 12V+ goes to the coil input signal connection pin (Vs/(85)) with ground (any wire to chassis) negative connect on the other two connection pins (86 and (87a /Norm Open). Pin (87/Norm Closed) is redundant and doesn't need any connection. See Matli's diagram above.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:46 PM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by morrisdl
Jim reminded me that I never documented the way I got the Porsche Backup Camera working with the Seicane....Much of this was aggregated info from other posts. ]
Very cool. Speaking of relays, I got my Seicane unit to start the boot up process when I unlock the car doors with the remote. I used the driver side floor light (that comes on when you unlock the car), to trigger the relay. When the light comes on, the relay allows power to travel to the red wire on the Seicane harness (Which I learned is an accessory wire if you guys need one somewhere). I also set the power off delay time to 10 minutes in Settings->General so that it completes its normal shut down process after the car is locked.

So far it has been great. By the time I get settled in the drivers seat, everything is booted up , connected to wifi, and ready to go.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:13 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Thats IS very cool trick...Unfortunately I have keyless entry. The key fob has the worst range of any car I have ever owned - about 10 feet to lock/unlock using the buttons.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 AM
hgupta
Instructor

That is bad range! I guess I am lucky that I don't have it? My kid and wife usually take 30 seconds to get into the car as it is, so it would benefit me on keyless as well.

I did notice that disabling boot animation speeds up the boot time as well.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Vidyashankara
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

My keyfob range is really bad, sometimes, I need to be right next to the driver door to use it. I replaced the battery on the keyfob and it still does not work.

I am gonna try to get it to boot when unlocked as well! thanks for the info!
Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
My keyfob range is really bad, sometimes, I need to be right next to the driver door to use it. I replaced the battery on the keyfob and it still does not work.

I am gonna try to get it to boot when unlocked as well! thanks for the info!
I used a generic relay from AutoZone. I first tried to connect power from that light using a diode, but the voltage in my car was only about 10v, probably due to the dimmer circuitry.

With the relay, while the dimmer is dimming, the relay makes a minor noise, but everything works great. I have the bose system, which doesn't get power until key is in the ignition, so no sound until you start the car. Very similar to stock.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Jimbabwe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Morris, I will use it for purposes of good. However, I don't know when. It appears there is a flaw somewhere in my system as the head unit is doing what it should as far as video, GPS, WiFi, BT, steering wheel inputs, microphone, app installs, etcetera, but no sound. Anywhere- radio, BT phone, video, Google, CD, nothing...
Seicane told me to wire it up the same way I already had (using all the info on this thread- thanks) except they said to use RCA Left Front and Right Rear. No change, no sound.
My HU was working when I pulled it out, so I think the next step is to reinstall the old unit and see what happens... wish me luck.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review