Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cardan Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 01:48 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's awesome!. I bet safety wire with some anti-chaff tape under it would be better than zip ties, but that looks pretty sturdy.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
That's awesome!. I bet safety wire with some anti-chaff tape under it would be better than zip ties, but that looks pretty sturdy.
Actually, it's overkill. The zip-ties are plenty enough, since the hose slices barely ever move. Next update is at the 13k mark!
Old 12-15-2014, 08:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Dilberto - this is a wonderful "McGuiver".. I really love it. I must be ball-less since I replaced the shaft with a rebuilt when mine failed despite having read your original posting. I think I thought my mechanic would think less of me if I did the Jim'i solution.

Someone should make a very official looking service bulletin for this so the mechanics don't give us the fish-eye when we suggest it. Maybe offer a "kit" along with the bulletin (some precut hose and tie-wraps..)

It's a wonderful thing.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Dilberto - this is a wonderful "McGuiver".. I really love it. I must be ball-less since I replaced the shaft with a rebuilt when mine failed despite having read your original posting. I think I thought my mechanic would think less of me if I did the Jim'i solution.

Someone should make a very official looking service bulletin for this so the mechanics don't give us the fish-eye when we suggest it. Maybe offer a "kit" along with the bulletin (some precut hose and tie-wraps..)

It's a wonderful thing.
Well, I originally showed Jimi the Vertex solution and he said, "I can do better than that....lemme show you." Once he got under the P!G and demonstrated his fix, I was completely sold. Every now and then I peek down in there and it still looks like everything is untouched!
Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Dilberto - this is a wonderful "McGuiver".. I really love it. I must be ball-less since I replaced the shaft with a rebuilt when mine failed despite having read your original posting. I think I thought my mechanic would think less of me if I did the Jim'i solution. Someone should make a very official looking service bulletin for this so the mechanics don't give us the fish-eye when we suggest it. Maybe offer a "kit" along with the bulletin (some precut hose and tie-wraps..) It's a wonderful thing.
Technicians will clearly see that ghetto rigged suggestion for what it is. You can keep the zip ties.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:58 AM
JFR-
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I now have 9400 miles on the Jimi'd Cardan Shaft. It works too well....I returned the carbon driveshaft last week.
Thanks for the fix option Dilberto. I showed this thread to my indy and he approved. A little over an hour of his labor and $0 in parts, and my 955S is rolling again thump free. I've got 80K miles on the clock and he told me to swing by in 10K and he'll give her a look, but he doesn't expect any issues. He also agreed that heavy gauge zip ties should be more than fine.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Spence78
Track Day

I was just about to create a topic about this identical issue before i read this.

What you described is exactly what happens when i let off the gas going a decent speed, except i don't have much of a clunk when accelerating.

My question is, instead of replacing the entire shaft can i just replace the mount you linked in the original post? If so how much labor is generally involved in replacement from an indy shop?

Thanks a ton for this thread!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:53 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Someone is selling the Vertex support bearing replacement, which is what I think you're talking about. Here's the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...epair-kit.html

Your indy should be able to put this in in an hour (or more like 15 minutes).
Old 12-28-2014, 09:46 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Someone is selling the Vertex support bearing replacement, which is what I think you're talking about. Here's the thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...epair-kit.html

Your indy should be able to put this in in an hour (or more like 15 minutes).
I'm approaching 80k miles on my 06 TTS, never replaced. In one of these related threads it was referred to as not if but when. How long is the longest they can last, any idea? Thinking about picking this up if it's still available.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Mine went about 110k. I think that's typical.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Spence78
Track Day

120k here
Old 12-30-2014, 12:05 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

icspres, you made a big mistake and asked about it, now yours will fail soon... With that said, mine failed at 65K on a '06CTTS. That just happened this time last year. I think some of the earlier cars that did more miles per year they failed at lower age but higher miles. Many of the reports now from us lower mileage vehicles they are failing at lower mileage but with a few years on our cars. Mine went fairly suddenly. I do have a lift in my shop out back and probably looked at my center support bearing at least monthly and it had looked good up to the time when I was coming from a stop on my way home from work and accelerated moderately and thump, thump, thump. Drove it very easily on acceleration and I made it home.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:05 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Mine failed at 67,720 miles. Both owners before were above 65...and drove it like a Cadillac. I believe I am this cars' first owner to send it into WOT on a regular basis....
Old 12-30-2014, 03:16 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I think failure is more predictable than we give credit. The part that fails is the rubber bushing that surrounds the bearing. If it is beginning to crack and or dry rot then replace it. This said it does require climbing beneath the car and inspecting the bearing periodically.

Mine was replaced at 105k after I noticed cracks in the rubber. Still hadn't failed. Using vertex now. Price was crazy, but...
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Not sure if the material is rubber, felt like foam to me. I changed the entire shaft. Have the original shaft still in case someone needs a core .

Quick Reply: Cardan Shaft?