Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you guys condsider V8 cayennes timebombs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Honda will suffer issues as well, that's the point.

Every car will have some type of issues throughout its lifetime, nothing is perfect. Of course the difference in repair prices between an Honda an a Porsche May be substantial. My point is that if you are worried your car may explode at any moment, maybe you should have a different car. I figured my post would generate some interesting responses, lighten up.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
. Of course the difference in repair prices between an Honda an a Porsche May be substantial.
Since I'm the car guy in the family I help my retired old mom take care of her car. She drive it basically two days a week, about 3-4 miles each time.

It's a Toyota Camary (so not the Honda in your example)

Has far fewer miles than my Cayenne Turbo, and has cost FAR more to maintain You may be surprised at what Hondas and Toyotas cost to get worked on compared to Porsches Its not as dramatic of a difference as many people think!
Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Nah....just a fan of facts instead of rumors!

Your google must work differently than mine. Because when I search for Cayenne engine failure....and the actually read the topics.....I find that 75-80% of the posts are the same people asking about and discussing the same question in different places and coming to the conclusion that these problems are few and far between! Many of them related to owners that can't seem to remember the last time they checked the oil

The FACT is simply that VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY few of these motors have this issue. Literally less than 1%(probably less than one tenth of that), which isn't exactly the massive failure rate you want to make people believe it is!
If you say so, I'm not going to get in a argument with a fanboy. Even my own dealer disagrees with you. You obviously noticed when you plug in "Porsche Cayenne Engine", failure is the 3rd one on the list. lol

No car is perfect I understand that but complete and utter catastrophic engine failure before 100k??! Shoot even Boxsters, Caymans, and 911's from that era have multiple major issues (IMS, Cylinder liners, RMS), not exactly confidence inspiring. In the 944 club we had a guy rolling around in a 360k+ mile original engine 944! I got a 928 in my fleet with close to 200k miles. Unfortunately, these days are over IMO..
Old 12-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Since I'm the car guy in the family I help my retired old mom take care of her car. She drive it basically two days a week, about 3-4 miles each time.

It's a Toyota Camary (so not the Honda in your example)

Has far fewer miles than my Cayenne Turbo, and has cost FAR more to maintain You may be surprised at what Hondas and Toyotas cost to get worked on compared to Porsches Its not as dramatic of a difference as many people think!
Your mom is getting ripped off than...
Old 12-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Your mom is getting ripped off than...
Yes, by Toyota! Car has been a complete pile of crap! Doesn't even have 70k on it and many major components have needed to be replaced!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Cole
Drifting

I You obviously noticed when you plug in "Porsche Cayenne Engine", failure is the 3rd one on the list. lol

Yep. what other words do you expect to follow that search? I changed "Cayenne" to Toyota, Tacoma, Honda, Ford, And a few others and got the same suggestion of "engine failure" in the search

Show me a single dealer that actually researches stuff on forums, data points etc. All they care about is the car sitting in front of them and what Porsche or the customer will pay to fix. They don't care about alternative solutions, enthusiast mods, etc

I

No car is perfect I understand that but complete and utter catastrophic engine failure before 100k??! Shoot even Boxsters, Caymans, and 911's from that era have multiple major issues (IMS, Cylinder liners, RMS), not exactly confidence inspiring. In the 944 club we had a guy rolling around in a 360k+ mile original engine 944! I got a 928 in my fleet with close to 200k miles. Unfortunately, these days are over IMO..
Yep, I've also got a 951 and 928. Funny you don't mention the bearing failures in those

Or that there are at least a few 300k + Cayennes right here on his forum too!
Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 S Titanium Edition V8 has been rock solid, except the fuel pump had to be replaced under factory warranty years ago.
I still need to replace the coolant pipes though.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been feeling the same way, but I'm still hopeful for Porsche due to some of my past P ownership: 150K miles with SC, 180K miles with 86 Carrera, 110K with 964...and 136K with 99 996 (original IMS). Cayenne S lasted 40K.

Ok, I also had a catastrophic failure after just over 3 hours of runtime on a 944 race engine, but that's a different story.

BTW, feel free to use Rennlist's Ignore list feature as you see appropriate.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Yep. what other words do you expect to follow that search? I changed "Cayenne" to Toyota, Tacoma, Honda, Ford, And a few others and got the same suggestion of "engine failure" in the search

Show me a single dealer that actually researches stuff on forums, data points etc. All they care about is the car sitting in front of them and what Porsche or the customer will pay to fix. They don't care about alternative solutions, enthusiast mods, etc

Yep, I've also got a 951 and 928. Funny you don't mention the bearing failures in those

Or that there are at least a few 300k + Cayennes right here on his forum too!
When I replace the wording using other name brands (Ford, Toyota, Dodge, etc) my google search doesn't have anything engine failure related listed at all! Your claim really isn't holding much merit here!

944's and 928's that are raced will have bearing failures. Not many people racing Cayennes! Again, your argument doesn't hold much water here. Plus, you are comparing a 25+year old car with one that is what, barely 10 years old? laughable..

I would love to see a screen shot of an odometer of a Cayenne with 300k miles on it's original engine. I gotta see this one!! .

Time for me to stop feeding the monkey! Night fellas!

PS: Is the 996 engine bullet proof in your eyes as well?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mclaudio
I've been feeling the same way, but I'm still hopeful for Porsche due to some of my past P ownership: 150K miles with SC, 180K miles with 86 Carrera, 110K with 964...and 136K with 99 996 (original IMS). Cayenne S lasted 40K.

Ok, I also had a catastrophic failure after just over 3 hours of runtime on a 944 race engine, but that's a different story.

BTW, feel free to use Rennlist's Ignore list feature as you see appropriate.
I hope they get their act together as well! It's a shame they have had so many quality issues. I really think this has a lot to do with "most profitable car company" IMO. Classic case of quality suffers at the expense of profits.

Roger that on the "ignore button".

Last edited by Dan87951; 12-05-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

When I replace the wording using other name brands (Ford, Toyota, Dodge, etc) my google search doesn't have anything engine failure related listed at all! Your claim really isn't holding much merit here!

944's and 928's that are raced will have bearing failures. Not many people racing Cayennes! Again, your argument doesn't hold much water here. Plus, you are comparing a 25+year old car with one that is what, barely 10 years old? laughable..

I would love to see a screen shot of an odometer of a Cayenne with 300k miles on it's original engine. I gotta see this one!! .

Time for me to stop feeding the monkey! Night fellas!

PS: Is the 996 engine bullet proof in your eyes as well?
343,000 mi. https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l-miles-3.html
Old 12-05-2013, 02:19 AM
cayenneS2004
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Km1.8t
Can't worry about it, just keep up on your maintenance and enjoy. If you can not afford the repairs, buy a Honda.

Thats the most ignorant answer a porsche owner can give.. I can keep up with brakes oil changes hell even random coolant pipes and new driveshaft.. But when your needed to buy a new engine how is that normal maintenance?
Old 12-05-2013, 03:25 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is evidence to suggest a design shortfall with the non turbo V8 cylinder wall lining due to lack of piston oil cooling jets.

As a turbo owner however, I still consider the Cayenne to be the best SUV out there.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:57 AM
cayenneS2004
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is some high milage cayenne s v8 n/a out there? With original engine all the high millage cayennes I'm seeing are turbos
Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mtnrat
Thats a turbo though, which doesn't seem too suffer from the issues the S's have. Any S's out there with that kind of mileage?

Originally Posted by cayenneS2004
Thats the most ignorant answer a porsche owner can give.. I can keep up with brakes oil changes hell even random coolant pipes and new driveshaft.. But when your needed to buy a new engine how is that normal maintenance?
He's Porsche's bread and butter alright! lol

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
There is evidence to suggest a design shortfall with the non turbo V8 cylinder wall lining due to lack of piston oil cooling jets.

As a turbo owner however, I still consider the Cayenne to be the best SUV out there.
That is what I heard as well. I was told the turbo engines are pretty much bullet proof once the coolant pipes are upgraded.Someone told me a different cylinder liner and piston material were used on the turbo.

Quick Reply: Would you guys condsider V8 cayennes timebombs?