Sponsored by:

Goodbye LX570, HELLO Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 PM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodbye LX570, HELLO Cayenne S

Am going to take the first step in buying a new Cayenne today, have a test ride set up for 1:30. Still can not make up my mind between the S and the Diesel, he says I can drive both!

We will see how it compares
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I drove the V-6, Diesel, Hybrid, and "S" - while the "S" is the fastest and quickest, I felt
the diesel was better for most real world driving situations.
Plus the superior mileage.

And I did order a diesel, late November delivery.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read almost nothing but good things about the Diesel, but when it comes to engine sound most say it is nice and quite compared to "truck-like clattering diesels of the past". But there are usually no further adjectives to say how great it sounds, like every description of the v8's.

Then I ran into this otherwise favourable article:
http://jalopnik.com/5940222/2013-por...alopnik-review

And finally found some adjectives to describe the sound:
"Let's start off with the engine note. It's a diesel. It sucks. It sounds like an asthmatic moose. So a point has been removed. But the 585-watt, 14-speaker Bose Surround Sound System did a wonderful job of drowning out the wheezing."

From those that drove both, is it really that bad?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 PM
PN Cal
Intermediate

I would say that with a cold engine, the Cayenne Diesel is definitely louder and I would also say at a stop with running engine (note that the CD does not offer the start-stop automatic). Actually when driving it and after a half mile or so, you do not feel the Diesel anymore. It sounds much better than most other Diesels, but still is not a Cayenne S or even a Turbo. I gave rides to a few people and after the ride asked them if they would have guessed that it is a Diesel, nobody did. They all thought it was just a normal gasoline version. For me the major advantage is mileage in a super nice design and with highest quality. I can get easily above 30 mpg at a 80% highway mixture and with cruise control even 36 mpg on the highway. City can go down to 22 mpg, but usually I end up much higher. If I would have wanted an absolute sportscar, Porsche offers other nice models.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PN Cal
For me the major advantage is mileage in a super nice design and with highest quality. I can get easily above 30 mpg at a 80% highway mixture and with cruise control even 36 mpg on the highway. City can go down to 22 mpg, but usually I end up much higher.

This is hard to believe. You must be doing something right. How is this even possible? 36 mpg highway? In a vehicle this size? Has anybody topped 36 mpg?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 AM
tmack2012
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re. mpg, I'm from Canada. The official mileage ratings up here are city 10.8 l/100 km (26 miles per imperial gallon) and highway 6.7 l/100 km (42 MP imp. gallon) and combined 9.0 l/100km (31 MP imp. gallon).

I have about 1100 km so far just over half city driving. Almost always drive in Sport mode and frequently average 9 - 10 l/100km on my drive to work in the city.

I know that mileage ratings vary by agency and standards, but it seems that, at least for gasoline powered vehicles, the official ratings are best case. My experience with the Cayenne Diesel as well as our '09 MB GL320 Bluetec is that our agency's mileage ratings are almost worst case, we frequently beat them. My CD is not even broken in yet so am expecting mileage to improve.

Re. engine noise, it is much quieter and smoother than our GL diesel. Agree with the asthmatic moose exhaust sound. In my (vast) experience with asthmatic mooses (?meese), it is a dead ringer...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:43 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember reading a test of the MY11 RR TDV8 4.4lt, they got about 5.5lt/100km = USG 42mpg = imp 50+mpg over about 80km driving around a 100kmh average. the higway they were on is not flat either, so I expect the CD to do really well!!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Well after sleeping on it a few more nights I put a retainer down on a S!

While I thought the diesel was more than enough for everyday driving, the S provided more of that Porsche experience including the sound that I really love. Coming from a LX570 I decided I wanted more of a change.

Anyway, she will be delivered next week. Black with tan interior, big panorama roof, Bose, premium plus and the 20" wheels. It cost a bit more than the diesel but I feel lucky I got out of there without buying the grey Cayenne GTS that was sitting in the showroom! The 21 inch wheel were wonderful but in the end I can live with the more reasonable 20 inch wheels.

This is my first Porsche and I am holding all of you responsible for it being dependable and fun!
Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Since your a virgin to Porsche and enjoyed the euphoria that you felt going from the Diesel to the S, I issue this warning and suggest you don't test drive the Turbo as you may suffer from an overdose.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:17 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have fun with your new PIG and that excellent soundtrack!
Old 09-19-2012, 10:48 AM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Congratulations Greg!

I, too, am a first time Porsche owner.
The Cayenne and the company have made a large impact on us!
All positive
Old 09-19-2012, 01:52 PM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Since your a virgin to Porsche and enjoyed the euphoria that you felt going from the Diesel to the S, I issue this warning and suggest you don't test drive the Turbo as you may suffer from an overdose.
You are 100% correct.

Glad that I knew better!

I am very excited as the S was quite a kick in the pants. No way the LX570 could even come close to that feeling unless rear ended by a SEMI.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The LX570 is over 1/2 ton heavier... that'll slow anything down! My mouth dropped when i saw that the curb weight was 6,000 lbs.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:46 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Not exactly what I wanted but this came close. Will be here next week to have clear bra and Passport installed. Mid week delivery

Last edited by GregGebhardt; 09-20-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 AM
GregGebhardt
Advanced

Originally Posted by RESP
Congratulations Greg!

I, too, am a first time Porsche owner.
The Cayenne and the company have made a large impact on us!
All positive
Thanks for the Welcome.

Still not knowing what to fully expect as a short test drive could hardly do the S justice. Delivery day will really be exciting. Have planned a small road trip to Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach for that following weekend to do some photography. WIll get some images of my new toy and post them here.

A few questions:

Is high test required or will it run on medium grade.

Break in procedure?

Maintenence intervals?

I am sure all this will be explained by the dealer but I can't wait!

Quick Reply: Goodbye LX570, HELLO Cayenne S