Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: One Week with My Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 PM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must be something to the stories about Monday morning and Friday afternoon cars - even in Germany. 2600 miles on my CD, and not a rattle or squeak anywhere

//greg//
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,154 Likes on 469 Posts

6200 miles, no rattles. My panamera still has a high pitch sound through the passenger side vents, I know that's a lost cause! The CD has been a treat.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 PM
simer
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Update: So I took my car in last Monday. Did a drive around with a technician, and thank god the same rattles/creaking were present at that time. He seemed to understand the problem. I guess its the 3 different dashboard components (including the gauge cluster area) where the problem is. Long story short, The guy said that he should be able to fix this issue. Let's see.
By the way, I have owned this car for a month, and already this car's been in the shop for 15 days so far.. and counting. Haven't lost hope....yet.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 PM
cali2121
Intermediate

Originally Posted by simer
Quick Update: So I took my car in last Monday. Did a drive around with a technician, and thank god the same rattles/creaking were present at that time. He seemed to understand the problem. I guess its the 3 different dashboard components (including the gauge cluster area) where the problem is. Long story short, The guy said that he should be able to fix this issue. Let's see.
By the way, I have owned this car for a month, and already this car's been in the shop for 15 days so far.. and counting. Haven't lost hope....yet.
simer,

Was the dealer able to fix the issue? Curious to see if they actually figured it out...
Old 03-09-2013, 02:39 AM
simer
Cruisin'

Default Cayenne Diesel Creaking/Rattling update

Hi,
I thought the dealer was able to fix it.....until it happened again today....for about 2 weeks the suv was mostly rattle/creak free...but then slowly started coming back..
The dealer had added padding to a few pieces of the dashboard.

Overall, I am very disappointed. I didn't sign up for this crap after paying over 75K.

Any luck with you guys?
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That really sucks.. Sorry about the bad times. I would be ticked off too in your shoes. This is why I vowed never to buy a new car again. Getting 75% off on a used model makes me not sweat the details. I obsessed all the niggles on my last new luxury car too. Hopefully your dealer will make good on things. There are always lemon laws. Just remember to simer down while you navigate.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:06 AM
Joseph O'Reilly
Instructor

Originally Posted by simer
Hi,
I thought the dealer was able to fix it.....until it happened again today....for about 2 weeks the suv was mostly rattle/creak free...but then slowly started coming back..
The dealer had added padding to a few pieces of the dashboard.

Overall, I am very disappointed. I didn't sign up for this crap after paying over 75K.

Any luck with you guys?
Unacceptable. Got a cayenne on order and if this happens to that car, and they couldn't fix it right away, I would insist on exchanging it for a new (new) one unless they want to loan me a new Turbo S indefinitely from their fleet while they properly fix the problem!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

I love my diesel so much my poor old 991 S is sitting in the garage feeling left out ;( Except on weekends.
No rattles yet for me in 2k miles. Quietest car I've ever had but I did get the insulated glass option. The only glitch I have had is the right side Lane Change Assist sometimes goes off randomly when there is no car there. The service tech has no idea why and it's not worth pursuing for me anyway. Maybe it will auto-correct. good luck with the rattles- I'd be persistent.

I had a speaker rattle in the front door speakers of my 991 that drove me crazy. The noise radiated to where it sounded like it was coming out the side vents and it was intermittent. Someone on the boards here discovered that it was the front edge of the door panel where it attaches to the door frame- the clips were too loose and certain resonance caused the vibration. I taped a business card under the leading edge and will have it fixed when I take it in for the annual service. I would have never thought that was the problem and someone on this board figured it out. Hopefully that will be the case with your rattles too.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM
grohgreg
Pro

My Driver side LCA gives me one flash every time I pass a certain section of roadside. I'm thinking its getting a false positive off a misaligned reflector

//greg//
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph O'Reilly
Unacceptable. Got a cayenne on order and if this happens to that car, and they couldn't fix it right away, I would insist on exchanging it for a new (new) one unless they want to loan me a new Turbo S indefinitely from their fleet while they properly fix the problem!
Do you happen to own a BMW? Because you sound a lot like those kids that think any minor thing deserves a new car. It would have to be a pretty major problem to justify a new car from a legal stand point.

I'm not saying you shouldn't try to get rattles and other annoyances fixed, but some realism needs to be applied. The fact is that cars today are complicated machines with tons of individual parts. All it takes is one screw that didn't get torqued down enough or a part that ended up being at the bottom of (or below) the size specs and you end up with these issues. It's not like some tech assembling these things sits there and tries to figure out the best way to **** of the new owners. Go buy any high price car and you're likely to find the same things. Some people get lucky with $15k Chevys that have no rattles and others sound like beans in a coffee can in $250k exotics.

So now you've gotten your new car that has a rattle and take it to the dealer. Just like you they have a hard time figuring out where the sound is actually coming from. This is made more difficult as most rattles occur when the vehicle is moving so it is hard to drive and search at the same time. Fixing rattles (unless it is blatantly obvious) is a labor intensive task that is mostly trial and error.

By all means, don't just accept it. Try to have them fix it. Just use some common sense and courtesy when you find their latest attempt wasn't successful.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:09 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Do you happen to own a BMW? Because you sound a lot like those kids that think any minor thing deserves a new car.
Hey, I own a BMW as well and am not some entitled kid!

But agree, my dealer has not exactly cured all my rattles for good, but they are trying. They can not just magically improve the engineering. Makes it especially difficult when the rattles only happen every third day at certain temperatures, and I have only localized some to descriptions like "somewhere in the back", with certain types of bumps on the road. I will simply have them keep trying, every time the car is in for something else. They are not that bad in my case, they just bother me because I know it is there. Kind of like the ticking from my clock, thanks to gnat for pointing it out!!!

I was however worried when they gave me a 2010 Cayenne once as a loaner, it it was a total rattle-trap! I hope mine holds out better, when the warranty ends!!! It actually made me wonder if I am to fussy about mine, as whenever I come back to it from a loaner it feels better than ever!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:45 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
Hey, I own a BMW as well and am not some entitled kid!
We have a BMW too. Hanging out in the 1 and 3 series forums can be a test of your sanity. There was a 1 thread where someone had taken their car in and got it back with a flat tire. The responses weren't the sane "**** happens", "have the dealer patch it", etc.. There really were people saying the guy should demand a new car. Sadly that wasn't a one off thread either. It's like a whole different world on the BMW forums (not that there aren't sane helpful people, but there are some serious nut jobs too).

Kind of like the ticking from my clock, thanks to gnat for pointing it out!!!
Just let me know whenever you need "help" like that in the future. I'm happy to see what I can do for you
Old 03-09-2013, 06:53 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

CD is still running well and no rattles or issues. Very please so far.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:11 PM
simer
Cruisin'

@gnat: have you watched the video of the rattle I posted on this forum? I own a BMW, and am not some entitled kid (I wish I were one, but oh well ). The dealer's trying to fix it, they are trying hard and there has been some improvement, but at the same time it's frustrating that out of the three months I have owned this car, I have been driving a loaner ford escape for almost 3 weeks (4 trips to the dealer so far).

I will keep taking the car back to them till the issue is resolved.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:28 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

simer, my comment wasn't directed at you but at Joseph who doesn't even have his car and is already talking about how he'd make them give him a new one. You seem to be handling the situation quite maturely.

Quick Reply: Review: One Week with My Cayenne Diesel