Sponsored by:

Review: One Week with My Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: One Week with My Cayenne Diesel

So now that I've had my new Diesel for a week and have driven almost 900kms, I thought I'd do a more thorough review as a little payback for all the great help and advice I received from this forum. A little context first so you know where I'm coming from in my comments and observations: this is my first P car and first real SUV. I'm coming out of a fully loaded 2009 Jag XF Supercharged ( 420 hp). Prior to that I have also had BMW and Audi. I live just outside of Toronto and use the vehicle mostly for an 80km round trip commute in heavy traffic, and to ferry around my 5 kids on the weekends. Ok, that's my context, now the car.

My build is:
-Cayenne V6 Diesel
-jet black metallic
-black standard interior
-premium plus package, which includes heated and cooled ventilated leather seats (14 way power), LCA, back up sensor and camera, rear sunshades, etc.
-PCM Nav package with no further stereo upgrades
-exterior black gloss trim package
-Cayenne stainless steel entry plates
-19'" design II wheel upgrade with summer pirelli tires
-no roof racks (like the sleek car-like feel) or trailer hitch (nothing to tow)
-model de-badge option (just says "Porsche" in the back with no reference to Cayenne, or diesel)
-multi function sterring wheel

I think that's it. You will note no performance upgrades such as PASM, air, PDCC, etc.

Overall Fit, feel and driveability:Simply put, this vehicle is awesome. I ordered it back in December and test drove only a V6 gas Cayenne and a Touareg TDI for comparison, but basically took a flyer on the order, which made me a little bit nervous as delivery day approached. The thing is very solid with zero rattles or squeaks so far, and the cabin is far more quiet than I anticipated. The torque is excellent and I have so far never been wanting for more power or pull. In fact, I can't imagine wanting or needing more power and pull than this delivers, for my intended use. On the slightly negative side, the 8 speed tiptronic transmission changes gears very quickly at fairly low speeds so you find yourself in 5th or 6th gear at 50 kmph. I find that a little bit irritating sometimes, but i'm sure its just a matter of getting used to.

It is generally smooth, solid, and corners beautifully. Last Sunday morning I took it up to the nearby escarpment for a spirited run on twisting country back roads and it was truly a hoot. In my my mind, this validated my decision to not get PASM or other upgrades on this vehicle. PASM was the only one I was truly considering and my sales guy talked me out of it. I 'm very happy he did now. I admit it may very well be a case of not knowing what I'm missing, but I do know this: I can hardly imagine an SUV handling much better than the one I have, AND, I have $2,500 in my pocket. This makes me very happy. On fuel useage, this brings a smile to my face. I will get approx. 1000kms from my very first full tank of diesel fuel, and I'm guessing that will improve once it breaks in a little bit. I have to say though that the consumption can vary quite wildly depending on how you drive the car. Driving normally in traffic and on highway seems to give optimal mileage. If you drive it spiritedly though, the consumption goes up rather dramatically. Still nothing approaching the Jag (I got to know th local gas station attendants very well), but higher than I would expect. Again, this may be a break in issue.

One interesting point on service, oil changes and Adblue (fluid for cleaning diesel fumes). Scheduled maintenance is 15k kms, and this includes oil changes and adblue. Btw, adblue is a $30 cost every 15k kms, so minimal. On oil changes, I questioned the advice and told the sales guy that I had read the diesel will require oil changes every 5k miles. He told me that was only in the USA and that Porsche Canada had different directives. This apparently has to do with the make up of diesel fuel in the US (varying grades of biodiesel, I think), which is different in Canada. Finally, something in favour of Canadian Porsche buyers!

Interior: Fit and finish is very well done. Solid, luxurious but all done in a very sporty way. In my Jag, I had full beautifull leather on my dash, doors, and poretty much everywhere. I enjoyed that but I was going for a different feel on the Cayenne. The standard finish is fine (particularly with the ventilated seats, which look awesome), and really gives the vehicle a more high end sporty feel and less of an oppulent luxurious feel. This is a very personal thing, but the standard interior, particularly on a Black on Black combo, works very well for me. Again, very pleased with my decision (and another $5k in my pocket). A couple of aggravating nits, which I'm sure will get corrected. I can't get the garage door opener to work so I can program with my garage. I push the buttons but nothing lights up and nothing happens. The other nit is that once in a while, the seat memory doesn't work properly when I put the key in the ignition and I have to press the memory button on the door to recall my settings. Other than that, all appears to be well.

A few thoughts on the sound system. This falls into the very pleasant surprise category for me. I listen to a lot of talk radio during my commutes and listen to music and Ipod on weekends, so I decided not to spend the money on the Bose or Burmester. I have read all the reviews and feedback and I fully expected the PCM system to be a POS. Well its not at all. I'm 50 yrs old and don't generally blast my music too loudly. The PCM is actually not bad at all so I would strongly counsel anyone who is looking for ways to save a few bucks on their build to stick with that one. If money is not an issue, then absolutely go big, but even my music obsessed teenage kids commented that it wasn't bad at all.

The instrument cluster and info windows are all very intuitive and easy to use. Very helpful programming choices for info window, so got used to the interior set up very quickly.

Regrets: If I had to do over again, I don't think I would order much differently. I would consider getting the Panorama Sun Roof though, as the standard one is quite small for the overall size of the vehicle. The only other thing I might get is Auto entry option. I had that on my Jag and loved it, but couldn't bring myself to spend $1,200 for the option on the Cayenne. I probably should have though, as I'm constantly pulling on the handle expecting it to open, but then realize I need my key. I'm sure I'll get used to that in time. Lastly, I would probably have gone with the standard 18" wheels, which I would have then used for winters, and then got good aftermarket 20's for summer. Probably a better combo and would have saved some $.

I suppose I could go on for some time, but I will summarise by saying that the Diesel is a very impressive vehicle in every respect. I am delighted with it so far and look forward to every minute of communting, heavy traffic included. The power and pull is not only sufficient, but for me, can actually be exhillarating. The performance bump over the regular V6 is material, in my opinion, so anyone comparing the two should really consider added performance in adition to fuel savings and range extension. I'm a very happy first time P-car owner.

p.s. and my new clock is still working flawlessly!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:16 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I have an interest in getting a no-frills Cayenne Diesel except for heated seats/steering wheel and tow package. Regarding your panoramic roof comment, I'll re-consider it. I didn't really want a sun/moonroof at all previously since I have a convertible if I want open top motoring.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:29 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Thanks for sharing. I have an interest in getting a no-frills Cayenne Diesel except for heated seats/steering wheel and tow package. Regarding your panoramic roof comment, I'll re-consider it. I didn't really want a sun/moonroof at all previously since I have a convertible if I want open top motoring.
I pick up my car today as there was a bit of a miscommunication about picking it up last night. That being said, I did see my car last night. After seeing a Cayenne S with the pano roof, my wife and I decided to include it as an option. Now that I have seen my car, I think it works extremely well with the black interior. As stated in the review, the standard moonroof is tiny and I thought the cabin looked very dark with the black interior. With the pano, it looks awesome.

Thanks for the review. I'll post my thoughts as well once I get to know my car a little bit. My only initial reaction to sitting in it yesterday is that the engine is super quiet. Almost disappointingly so!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:59 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Perhaps they are combatting the overwhelmingly negative perception of diesel engines in this country... as polluting and loud. I'm sure you could improve the sound track with a little exhaust work.. but then again maybe you'd get koosered over the coals for that.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:19 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

They are sure pushing the diesels hard at the Porsche dealer here. Strangely enough Mercedes is pushing the gas motor.

But enough of that , and lets get back on this PASM thing LOL LOL. It is what is holding me up , and a some other price stuff. But mainly the PASM.

My wife drove the Nybrid with the PASM and Air and seemed to like that although really only in the "normal" mode. The comfort setting was roll-ey, and the sport was probably too firm . Then she drove the diesel with no PASM, without me there, and she said something to the effect of the " other one was better."

Hmmm..ok. One reason she disliked the X5 we owned for her was is was "hard." It did have more motor and larger wheels too.

So this is like Goldilocks trying to get just right. I have read every PASM thread here but it hard to qualify feel you know. I am tempted to just go without it too as we discussed before. I would be going with the 19 inch Turbo style wheels and maybe some "softer" tires to in order to soften things some.

Would you say without the PASM it is firmer, or softer, or bumpier or can you describe it in Goldilocks terms for me now that you have drove it a bit.

Of course the Cayenne without PASM is gone from the dealer when I want to drive it and see for myself. I dont think me driving one with PASM and air tells me a lot.

Thanks Cowboy and great on your new ride and review.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would consider getting the Panorama Sun Roof though, as the standard one is quite small for the overall size of the vehicle.
Regarding your panoramic roof comment, I'll re-consider it.
As stated in the review, the standard moonroof is tiny and I thought the cabin looked very dark with the black interior. With the pano, it looks awesome.
I recently got a fairly basic 2013 Cayenne V6, with pano as one of the few options. Do I ever love it! And I am not an open air fanatic, glass stays closed most of the time, but it just opens up my black interior! After getting used to it, if I fully close the shade (just to see the difference), I feel like I am driving a cave!

If anybody is still on the fence, go check out Jerry's pano photo in this thread, and tell me if you can still resist.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...elivery-4.html

I have an interest in getting a no-frills Cayenne Diesel except for heated seats/steering wheel and tow package.
I have had a no-frills Cayenne for over a month, and have a review posted somewhere on this forum (from a no-frills perspective) that echo's some of Cowboy's comments on the topic. No regrets! ... actually the only thing I would re-consider is Diesel after reading these great reviews. I just could not bring myself to order one back then, sight unseen. Now I just need an excuse to go test drive one!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:32 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not having driven one.. Conventional logic would imply that steel springs would be harsher. However with 18's you could mitigate that.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Cowboys5
Instructor

Thx guys. On the Panaroma roof, I think the reason I regret not getting it has to do with the black interior. It is beautiful, but darkish, so the roof would help with more light, particularly on a beautiful sunny day.

Texas, on the PASM, I hear you buddy, as I tortured myself over this one. I have to tell you without word of lie or exaggeration, this non-PASM rig rides beautifully. Not too firm and not to rollie - just right!. My wife commented on how great it felt compared to other vehicles we have had. If your wife is going to use this a commuter, a DD and not much extraordinary (i.e. tracking, off roading, etc), I would be shocked if she missed the PASM or could even tell the difference. I know from your other threads that you are looking for ways to bring down the cost of the Cayenne, and I can tell you now after experiencing this car for a week, that this is a really easy way to save a couple of grand. And this from a guy was on the verge of ordering PASM, until talked out of it by salesguy.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:51 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Tex,

Here is yet one more opinion to weight in on your dilemma. Of course suspension tuning is very subjective, and everybody will have a different opinion and tastes.

I had a first gen X5, with sports pack, and 35 profile tires. And although I like a firm and tight ride, it was getting on my nerves on my predominantly bad roads. Pristine highways were not bad, but still felt firm. Oddly enough, my wife (who drove the X5 mostly) did not mind the sports suspension and liked the handling.

My Cayenne (without PASM, and 20" wheels), is definitely also firm, but just the way I like it. Much more comfortable than the X5 sport-pack. Pristine highways feel like you are in an airplane (could not be better), and bad roads are not that bad, although you feel like you are in a sporting vehicle (like you should).

I am tempted to tell you save the money if it counts, but I did not drive the PASM enough to tell you what you would be missing in "regular mode" ... apparently the PASM is working in regular mode to improve things vs being "off". As for the other two mode, you already answered your question that you would probably not care for them (and seems to be the general consensus that PASM will be in normal 95% of the time).

One thing that did strike me on Cayenne test drives (without all the suspension acronym goodies), and initially on my Cayenne vehicle, is that it gives much more of a rolling and moving around feeling than the old sport X5, or my 5 series sedan without sport pack does. Although that moving around feeling gives you the impression it will be mushy around corners, that sensation has no bearing when pushing it through the curves where it is nice and flat! Handles great! After having the Cayenne for a while, I am used to that higher center of gravity feeling I describe.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:18 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Thanks EC, Cowboy and Steve - a lot. Ya'll see what I am trying to do here.

She is not going to use it on a race track ever. She might let me take it for one lap, in Germany, if we go pick it up. LOL. It could see some gravel, although not much. No dirt, unless I end up in the dirt on that lap LOL.

But what I really really dont want to do is to put in her in a car that she doesn't like to drive, and at a fair amount of extra cost to boot. I dont want the triple whammy of more costs, her not liking it, and the next car shopping after I eat a big depreciation hit.

With the PASM out I can close the gap on the softer riding Benz . If were shopping the Turbo with more pure speed, and the bigger wheels and tires, sure I would spring for the PASM. Maybe next time - for me LOL.

Heck I am a Porche guy , not just because it say P on it , but for the overall quality and the types of guys that are around here on RL. .
Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

When I had an 04 CS, I made a point to get PASM, because I didn't like how the standard suspension was tuned - more rebound damping control was needed. PASM made a difference. Having said this, I found that the setting on my PASM was 98% of the time on normal and low ride height. In other words, I never messed with it once the tuning was in my ballpark range. This experience (coupled with my experience of MB AMG Airmatics,admittedly) conceived my notion that such airbag suspensions were a poor excuse for not fine tuning damper/spring suspension setups. Besides, it's one more complication to potentially break. Hence, my desire for a no-frills Cay Diesel. If I need to adjust the suspension to my liking, I'll likely do so when I lower the car eventually. So far, my back-to-back test drives on smooth roads of the 2013 Cayenne S and Hybrid indicate that the standard suspension is sufficient.

On the pano roof, I heard that the previous generation model sometimes had wind noise originating from the pano roof. Has anybody experienced this on the new gen? Also, how is the turbulent air flow inside the cabin at highway speeds with the pano roof open? My experience with pano-style roofs in other SUVs/wagons indicate that I didn't like the air flow at all. Having said this, I can appreciate the extra light in the cabin, but not the extra weight up high. Hmmm, I think I'm talking myself out of the pano roof...

Perhaps, I'm back to no frills Diesel with heated wheel/seats, tow package. But I think, after this discussion, I'll add auto entry. I remember missing this feature when I sold the Cayenne S.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Yukio&958
Track Day

Originally Posted by Cowboys5
-no roof racks (like the sleek car-like feel) or trailer hitch (nothing to tow)
-model de-badge option (just says "Porsche" in the back with no reference to Cayenne, or diesel)
-multi function sterring wheel
did you pay for multi function steering wheel? I do not see it as an option when I ordered mine in Calgary

thanks,
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

did you pay for multi function steering wheel? I do not see it as an option when I ordered mine in Calgary
In Canada, we get cold weather options included. So the standard steering is: "Heated Three-spoke Multifunction Steering Wheel"
Which appears as an option elsewhere. I can confirm my 2013 Canadian Cayenne came with it as standard.

We also get front heated seats included, and perhaps a few other details.

Last edited by steve_Cayenne; 08-24-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

^^^^^

Darn it ... ya'll getting all the goodies . LOL .

I am going to have a coin toss with my wife - or best two out of three if we dont get it right on the first flip.

Thanks and you guys have been great.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Ya, like the $8000 higher price tag Goodie

Quick Reply: Review: One Week with My Cayenne Diesel