Sponsored by:

Review: One Week with My Cayenne Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM
cali2121
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simer
I recently bought a cayenne diesel here in San Jose, California.

Do any of you have dashboard noise in your car? I have a lot of small creaking noise from the driver panel and surrounding dashboard area. It gets pretty bad over rough pavement.

I am trying to figure out if this is normal, or an issue with diesel models?

Will greatly appreciate your response.
Thanks
Simermeet
I have the same dashboard noise on my new Cayenne Diesel as well. I can't figure out if it's coming from the air vents or the speedo area.

Sometimes, it just starts to rattle non-stop when I'm on the highway. If some others are not experiencing this rattle, then ours must have some sort of issue.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Knowing how dealers are.. You need to hound your service manager. Be nice but firm. Because it is really unacceptable to pay $70-90k large and have rattles and creaks.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 AM
simer
Cruisin'

Default Cayenne Diesel Dashboard noise, and Buzzing from Passenger side

Hey Guys,
So I was able to take a video of another issue. I hear this intermittent buzzing/static from the passenger side of the dashboard. It almost sounds like static. Please tell me if you guys can hear it as well, and if anyone has experienced this.

Also uploading video of my dashboard rattle. Will share that link shortly.

Thanks
Simer
Old 02-01-2013, 03:27 AM
simer
Cruisin'

Okay Here is the Rattle Video. Really bad video, and it's dark but you'll be able to hear the rattle from 00:40 seconds onwards...
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Yeah, that rattle would drive me nuts. Yikes!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 6 month old V6 (not diesel), and when I brought my Cayenne in for the "legendary" clock repairs, I gave them a laundry list of very minor rattles (not as bad as yours). These also come and go from day to day, and happen at certain temperatures.

- Driver side vent rattle exactly as your video 1.
- Whole dash rattles with resonance at 3800RPM (not quite like your video #2, but perhaps similar cause).
- Squeak from back seat.
- ticking sound from back seat.

Additionally I had engine vibration accelerating at 3800RPM, and de-accelerating or coasting at 1100RPM.

Dealer said they fixed rattles (definitely an improvement but some rattles are still there). Additionally, some of the rattles and engine vibrations are apparently caused by "defective down pipes", and I now have a new set on back order from Germany !?! Never heard of a "down pipe" issue with new Cayennes, but low and behold lots of mentions on VW forums where the natural vibrations of the VR6 has to be quashed with carefully tuned and weighted downpipes! Obviously wont be the same on the Diesel ....

Will chime in when I get the new down-pipes, and see if they tame the VW V6 into a new-found smoothness! Mine was kinda rough from day one (expected that from test-drives, feedback on the forums, and the price for a $14K savings), but seems to have gotten a bit worst with either winter temperatures or time (or both).

I will probably just have to keep mentioning some rattles at every service, in an ongoing attempt to have an absolutely rattle/tick/vibration free car From countless posts here, this is not the Cayennes strong point.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM
simer
Cruisin'

@Steve - The buzzing/rattle sound on your driver side compared to my video 1, is it constant for you? That noise for me is intermittent. and can come out of nowhere even at very low speeds on smooth roads.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM
LaicepsYdobon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by simer
Hey Guys,
So I was able to take a video of another issue. I hear this intermittent buzzing/static from the passenger side of the dashboard. It almost sounds like static. Please tell me if you guys can hear it as well, and if anyone has experienced this.
The sound coming from your vent is caused by the ball bearing failing inside the fan motor. I had that once on a Benz. Dealer swapped out the entire motor unit for a new one. It should be a quick fix if dealer has the part.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:25 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

@Steve - The buzzing/rattle sound on your driver side compared to my video 1, is it constant for you? That noise for me is intermittent. and can come out of nowhere even at very low speeds on smooth roads.
Mine happens some days, not on others, and at any speed and RPM. Kinda like your video, but perhaps more ticking sounds than constant rattle, then stops. If I push in all the snapped together plastic parts, that "seems" to affect it. I would think it is more the plastic clips ticking (just push on the pieces and listen to it creak) ... than what Laiceps describes. I.e. seems more a surface sound, than from the fan motor bearings from within. I think I hardly hear it anymore since dealer did something (or a coincidence and it will come back).

A similar but different sound can be if you have a bunch of things on your keys chain dangling there, but should not be the case for you on the passenger side!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM
cali2121
Intermediate

simer,

Thanks for taking the time to make those videos. I have the exact same rattle/ticking noise that you experience coming from the air vent area! Except mine is coming from both the drivers and passengers side. Drives me insane...hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM
simer
Cruisin'

@Cali,
It's good to know that this is not normal. I have taken this car two the dealer twice, and each time they say "It's pretty normal for a Porsche". This will be my third attempt.
By the way, My car is less than a month old and have had these issues from day one.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:10 AM
dknn79
3rd Gear

I too have the intermittent buzzing noise from the driver's side. The dealer could not replicate it but found noise from the passenger side. Apparently there is a Porsche CD that allows the dealership to detect rattles/noises.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the review, enjoy your diesel!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 PM
CO-rayman
7th Gear

324 miles on our CD and no such rattles or noises. In fact, it's been super quiet all around. Will report back if rattles/noises start appearing. Our town has concrete roads which are really bouncy so if there were any rattles we'd know right away.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 87 Posts

1300 miles on my CD, no rattles so far, great driving vehicule.

27.1 and 27.8 mpg so far, mixed freeway and around the subdivision driving.

Quick Reply: Review: One Week with My Cayenne Diesel