Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Lights for the novice with factory towing package (i.e. you're using a UHaul)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 09:27 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Lights for the novice with factory towing package (i.e. you're using a UHaul)

I now have successfully towed a UHaul TWICE! Once with my Beta and now with my '06 Tit.S. I thought I'd post the pictures of how you convert the factory plug to a standard 4 Wire UHaul lighting plug.

For Lewis and Larry (if he can read in Pig Heaven).. after getting all the proper tools, connectors, PIWIS programming, and UHaul, you'll be happy to know that the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (FYI, ! caused the death of Larry) was lit the entire time the trailer was connected. The "double arrow 1" light would come on for 1 second when turning the ignition over and then the dreaded "Check Trailer Lights" would illuminate for 5 seconds or so.. dutifully each time from the dealer to the Uhaul place, I'd double-check the lights and left/right/brake/running all worked but no indication was given in the instrument panel. I have to say this was disappointing because the BETA actually did properly show the "double arrow 1" indicator as the manual states. Larry probably knows.. but I'm guessing that on this particular trailer (it had LED) I was under the minimum loading (the BETA towing experience was two years ago and it had bulbs).

Lastly, it was absolutely no problem at all towing with the Cayenne. The trailer was full and we made sure we had proper loading and tongue weight. I drove 5 hours at 75 mph and got 13.5MPG. On significant long uphills, the vehicle dropped to 5th gear most of the time while I was using cruise control. When in traffic, I changed gears manually. The final picture is the Tit.S with Thule 18 cubic foot cartop carrier (new easier grips to luggage rack) and the 5' x 8' UHaul trailer.
Attached Images               

Last edited by MadFox; 09-09-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:03 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Madfox, I think I now have a Double E in car sparkiness, looking at your pictogram!! Happy it all worked out and I am sure Larry is spinning about 3000 RPM with PSM engaged up in ! heaven!!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question "!" "Beep" "Check Trailer Lights" "1D6" "1D8"

I'm sorry, I'm rather unfamiliar with this terminology......
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Pigs only please no Rhinos
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
I now have successfully towed a UHaul TWICE! Once with my Beta and now with my '06 Tit.S. I thought I'd post the pictures of how you convert the factory plug to a standard 4 Wire UHaul lighting plug.

For Lewis and Larry (if he can read in Pig Heaven).. after getting all the proper tools, connectors, PIWIS programming, and UHaul, you'll be happy to know that the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (FYI, ! caused the death of Larry) was lit the entire time the trailer was connected. The "double arrow 1" light would come on for 1 second when turning the ignition over and then the dreaded "Check Trailer Lights" would illuminate for 5 seconds or so.. dutifully each time from the dealer to the Uhaul place, I'd double-check the lights and left/right/brake/running all worked but no indication was given in the instrument panel. I have to say this was disappointing because the BETA actually did properly show the "double arrow 1" indicator as the manual states. Larry probably knows.. but I'm guessing that on this particular trailer (it had LED) I was under the minimum loading (the BETA towing experience was two years ago and it had bulbs).

Lastly, it was absolutely no problem at all towing with the Cayenne. The trailer was full and we made sure we had proper loading and tongue weight. I drove 5 hours at 75 mph and got 13.5MPG. On significant long uphills, the vehicle dropped to 5th gear most of the time while I was using cruise control. When in traffic, I changed gears manually. The final picture is the Tit.S with Thule 18 cubic foot cartop carrier (new easier grips to luggage rack) and the 5' x 8' UHaul trailer.

13 mpg? geez... **** loks good love the color

Originally Posted by ltc
Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alex911s
Rhino, perhaps....but it has a 44 gallon tank, gets 20mpg and can tow both a Cayenne and a trailer.....God, how I love it so.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
you forgot to say, "..... in my current towing vehicle...."

Oh wait.. that's right you claim to never have owned a "pig".... hmmm but I do see some mention of a Stück Scheiße.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:51 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Rhino, perhaps....but it has a 44 gallon tank, gets 20mpg and can tow both a Cayenne and a trailer.....God, how I love it so.
I will say that one other problem with the factory towing hitch (Larry knows this) is that the chains on the UHaul trailers have S hooks to attach to the Cayenne's hitch.. it will not fit in the hole because the hitch is so dang thick on the car end. So, the second UHaul guy was helpful (I fired the first) as we got a C threaded connector (I know such great technical terms) and used that.. you can see it in the chain picture just under the hitch (i.e. threaded the chain through the hitch and then used the C connector).
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Oh wait.. that's right you claim to never have owned a "pig".... hmmm but I do see some mention of a Stück Scheiße.
I never owned a Cayenne.

Please refer any additional requests for information to:

PCNA Legal Department
980 Hammond Drive, Suite 1000
Atlanta, GA 30328
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Has anyone found/installed a brake controller that works in the '08 CS?
Local P dealer recommended/installed Tekonsha Prodigy...did not work, then Tekonsha said the P3 is a sure thing...did not work.
the Brake wire is sending an intermittent voltage signal, which is pulsing the trailer brakes. when the CS brakes are off.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

OK, where is the "Has anyone ever used the 'Search' emoticon"?
How many times are we going to go over this?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:52 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GTEE3
Has anyone found/installed a brake controller that works in the '08 CS?.
There are many units available.

Local P dealer recommended/installed Tekonsha Prodigy...did not work, then Tekonsha said the P3 is a sure thing...did not work..
Wow, a Porsche dealer who knows nothing about the 1D8 option.....shocking. But that's OK, neither does PCNA or PAG.

the Brake wire is sending an intermittent voltage signal, which is pulsing the trailer brakes. when the CS brakes are off.
Yup, that's what it is supposed to do.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 PM
GTEE3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

ltc,
what is the 1D8 option?
my CS has the trailering, PDCC, PASM, etc. options.
I am pulling a '07 Pace all-alum. 22'.

can you explain to me why pulsing brakes would be good?
thanks for your help,
Phil
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

ltc,
what is the 1D8 option?
If you look at your window sticker, you will likely find that the factory tow option is coded 1D8; it was previously coded as 1D6.

my CS has the trailering, PDCC, PASM, etc. options.
I am pulling a '07 Pace all-alum. 22'.
Uh, huh.

can you explain to me why pulsing brakes would be good?
thanks for your help,
Phil
It's just the way the Prodigy is expected to "work" in a Cayenne/Touareg (i.e. Westfalia towbar control H/W and S/W equipped vehicle. It's obviously wrong, but I wouldn't try and get PCNA to agree.
Inquiring minds want to know...fine:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/312752-answers-why-the-tekonsha-prodigy-brake-controller-does-not-work-properly.html

The fix is relatively straightforward:
Get rid of the Cayenne

If you are unable to that, then get a new brake controller.

A generic, all American, garden variety, seen one you're seen them all, analog electronic brake controller will work just fine (yes, even on a Cayenne).
Oh, look, someone has even posted a DIY, along with part numbers and online links to the parts:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/351109-trailer-brake-control-questions.html

If not, then I suggest the following reading material:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/189872-cayenne-prodigy-brake-controller-install-with-pictures.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/186064-wiring-diagram-from-tekonsha-for-their-prodigy-brake-controller.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/354412-the-story-about-mt-cayenne-brake-controller-tidbits-and-the-tekonsha-primus.html

How I love newbies....they taste just like chicken.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:11 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yo, MadFox...

That wiring and chain setup in the next to last pic is a thing of pure beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Trailer Lights for the novice with factory towing package (i.e. you're using a UHaul)