Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Lights for the novice with factory towing package (i.e. you're using a UHaul)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:36 AM
leek
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 that was ordered with a tow package and lots of other stuff, total all in for this CTT was over $113K. I checked out the tow package and they had forgotten to install the wiring, this was taken care off in 10 minutes or less. I bought the plug later at the local trailer shop.
Ignor the bad attitudes, they really want to own a newer pepper so all of their dreams can come true...
(and they have some really great lessons learned.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mg45
how about an answer to post #18
4 questions

1) did you have to purchase the 7 pin socket or did Porsche provide it?
2) do you have the p/n?
3) I spent a min. or so trying to get that dummy plug off, did you have to remove that white piece to get the dummy to come off?
4) Did you really have to get a s/w update to get your trailer lights to work???

pretty simple
m
1. It depends. Some dealers will charge for it, since it is NOT factory OEM supplied, some dealers won't charge for it. Both cases have been reported here.
2. It is an industry standard 7p 'Pollack' connector. It can be purchased just about anywhere, online or brick/mortar retail or a VW/Touareg dealer. IIRC, in this thread, a link was posted to an online supplier of trailer parts which I mentioned a long time ago. If you really want, you can go back and search for the actual 'Pollack' P/N if you like, IIRC, I posted links to the engineering drawing for that as well.
3. Remove the blank plate via 4 screws, remove any plastic "plug" (some will have it, some might not), install the aforementioned #2 above, replace the 4 screws, done. Again, pictures have been posted of this procedure as well.
4. It depends. Different dealers have different PDI procedures (some don't even know what 1D6 or 1D8 options really are and where on the PIWIS the procedures/programs are). There are different S/W revisions installed at the module by the supplier (Westfalia) for different regions, so depending on the Cayenne date of MFG, you might not get the correct S/W for the delivery region.

Anything else?

BTW, please allow me to say, welcome.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by leek
Ignor the bad attitudes, they really want to own a newer pepper so all of their dreams can come true...
(and they have some really great lessons learned.
Yes, someday I hope to be able to afford a Cayenne Turbo, but I'm afraid $113K is WAY out of my league .
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
2. It is an industry standard 7p 'Pollack' connector. It can be purchased just about anywhere, online or brick/mortar retail or a VW/Touareg dealer. IIRC, in this thread, a link was posted to an online supplier of trailer parts which I mentioned a long time ago. If you really want, you can go back and search for the actual 'Pollack' P/N if you like, IIRC, I posted links to the engineering drawing for that as well.
3. Remove the blank plate via 4 screws, remove any plastic "plug" (some will have it, some might not), install the aforementioned #2 above, replace the 4 screws, done. Again, pictures have been posted of this procedure as well.

Anything else?

BTW, please allow me to say, welcome.
2) Yes, Thanks for the info but I had already found it but it took perusing through many other threads to get it. I also posted links to both the Touraeg one and cheaper one in post #24
3) I guess I wasn't clear on my question, I removed the 4 screws and pulled the dummy plate/plug out about 6", however I couldn't get the dummy plug out out of the socket. I pulled quite a bit but it wouldn't give. I was wondering if that white tab (shown in the 8 photo) has to be removed to separate the plug from the socket? It's hard to tell in photo #2, I can't tell if the white tab is on or if that's glare from the flash. I didn't want to take a screwdriver and pry the plug off if the tab had to be removed first.

Update:Looking at the photos again the white tab is off in photo 7 but on in photo 8. I think I've just answered my question, the tab does need to be removed before the dummy plug can come off. (I've never seen a plug like that)

We now have photos of the plug, directions for it's install, the name of the co. that makes it and at least 2 sources for it's procurement all in the same thread. One stop shopping...

Thanks again, and for the welcome. Took photos yesterday, will do my official RL purchase announcement today hopefully.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM
mg45
Intermediate

Default thanks..

...ltc
for the full response
It is still amazing to me that a 'tow package' includes so little
I suspect the proportional controller will be the biggest snag
thanks again
m

08 CS dark olive met
Old 03-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

The saga continues, the part I got from etrailer.com (see post #24) is not correct. It's designed for for connecting to bare wires, not the plug from the Cayenne's wiring. I guess I'm now going to try the VW dealer to see if they have it local. I've updated the previous post.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:53 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-TEC~30300.htm
Old 03-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
Nope, that's the one I ordered. It would require me to cut the connector off on the vehicle side. I want the connector that just plugs into the existing Cayenne connector.

Update: Used Google and searched on "Touareg pollack trailer" and it pulled up a JC Whitney listing of all things. Checked it out, nice photos of both front and back and it matches mudman's photos at the start of this thread. It is $10 plus $7 shipping. On order. I'v also updated my post #24.

Touareg Pollack Connector

Last edited by Slow Guy; 03-13-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Agreed, i just wanted to make sure I knew which one you ordered.
Again, it is a standard connector, available at most trailer companies, VW dealerships or Porsche dealerships.
Let us know if for some reason you get stuck finding one.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
Agreed, i just wanted to make sure I knew which one you ordered.
Again, it is a standard connector, available at most trailer companies, VW dealerships or Porsche dealerships.
Let us know if for some reason you get stuck finding one.
Why are people posting links to products that AREN'T the ones you want without stating they're the wrong ones? This is turning into such a frustrating experience...
Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

In (your) post # 14, there were 3 links provided, the first and third are the correct part, the second is the incorrect part.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltc
In (your) post # 14, there were 3 links provided, the first and third are the correct part, the second is the incorrect part.
I assume you mean my post #24.

The first link is the actual Touareg part for $40 + $10 shipping

The second is the one from a search of the forums and was agreed was the correct one from etrailer. After the part was delivered I posted it was the wrong part and even updated that post to let everyone know NOT to buy that part.

The 3rd link was added today after discovering the 2nd was the wrong part. It's the same Pollack part from JC Whitney for $10 + $7 shipping (per the photos).
Old 03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
mg45
Intermediate

Default hmm..

planning to be towing in about 2 weeks
this does not look good
m
Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by mg45
planning to be towing in about 2 weeks
this does not look good
m
I think because the alpha/beta users had to go through hell to be able to tow we're expected to pay our dues too.....

I do have high hopes for the part from JC Whitney.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Eureka! The part from JC Whitney came today and appears to be the exact one mudfox used. It even came in a Pollak box with the wiring diagram included.

JCW item # ZX333039 (RV Socket - OEM Ford style)
Mfg. part no. 11-893P
$9.99 + 6.99 shipping = $16.98

Link and photos of JCW item in post # 24

Last edited by Slow Guy; 03-19-2008 at 09:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Lights for the novice with factory towing package (i.e. you're using a UHaul)