Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Lights for the novice with factory towing package (i.e. you're using a UHaul)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Jerry U
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Pollak Plug on my 2010 Cayenne. Fits fine. However i get +12volts where it is supposed to be, Ground and no other pins show any voltage to ground when I turn on lights, blinker or back-up light. Checked all fuses labled Trailer.. on page 317 of the owners manual (right side of dash fuse panel) they are all in place.
I must be missing something. Removed the Pollak and ckecked the Porsche recptical, same reading and lack there of. Ther plug is fine.
Any thoughs??
Jerry
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First, welcome to Rennlist and the Cayenne forum (aka P!g Pen).

Second, thank you for obviously using the Search function and in the process digging up the dead (threads).

Third, I am assuming you have the factory towbar controller installed in the vehicle as a factory configured option.
Did the dealer program it via PIWIS? It's possibly has the wrong firmware installed or is simply defective.

Since it's a 2010, it's covered under warranty, so I would suggest a trip to the dealer...in the meantime, you can consult the owner's manual and verify that all the fuses are installed and not open.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

ltc are you getting soft as the years go by
quote below is from 09/ 16/2008

Originally Posted by ltc
The next person who digs up another buried trailer lighting thread is a dead man. The squirrels will be lucky to find any scraps.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Clearly that quote must be attributed to Larry...

BTW, nice to see people using the Search function....for whatever reasons.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

yes it is
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Clearly that quote must be attributed to Larry...

BTW, nice to see people using the Search function....for whatever reasons.
I was so ready to SCREAM STFT
Old 03-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Jerry U
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ltc

Second, thank you for obviously using the Search function and in the process digging up the dead (threads).

Third, I am assuming you have the factory towbar controller installed in the vehicle as a factory configured option.
Did the dealer program it via PIWIS? It's possibly has the wrong firmware installed or is simply defective.

Since it's a 2010, it's covered under warranty, so I would suggest a trip to the dealer...in the meantime, you can consult the owner's manual and verify that all the fuses are installed and not open.
Thansk for the welcome:
After quite a bit of searching and trying a few things called dealer today to bring the car in-it’s 70 miles from my home. They admitted they did not do a lot of trailer hookups (although they order their cars with hitches !) He thought I might have to hook up a trailer to get the system to work. Mentioned software issue which he knew nothing about. Also since I have +12V at the plug whereit should be I assume whatever is needed is there. Assume it may need a load. I had tried a 12V light (~20 watt) I have used for a test light where resistance was needed. I still get nothing at the terminals other than +12V full time and ground where it should be. I am building a simulated trailer connector with bulbs I have around. I have built all the wiring for my 1934 street rod (502cid-525HP) which worked from day 1! I am pretty good with electrical wiring etc. Sorry for the fellow who thinks this is simple and I should know better etc. However I have done a lot of wiring, have all types of meters and this is a puzzle. If I was in a rush I would be upset.
Jerry
Old 03-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Jerry U
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ltc

Hi,
Also should mention, I checked all the fuses located on the right side of the dash that said anything about trailer wiring. They all checked fine. Designed and built a trailer hitch for my '08 Vette. Wired it to the lights directly. Frankly it will be easier to remove the taillights and splice into that wiring! However being retired I have the time to build simulated trailer lights with bulbs that I can bring to the dealer when I finally get there!
My wife (it’s her vehicle) also has a concern about the right side mirror that we need to have checked out. It has much more distortion that any car we haveever had. If a car is just off the rear bumper it looks like it is 100 feet back! Want to compare with another on the lot. Has anyone had a similar observation??
Jerry
Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Jerry U
7th Gear

For anyone following my question re the Porsche Trailer wiring. I found the solution! Thought it worth a post since I spent quite a bit of time on not only Porsche Cayenne, but also Volkswagen Touarag and Audi Q7 sites. As expected they all had the same problem and page after page of potential solutions!
First bought a Pollak Plug that replaces the plate that comes with the Porsche hitch. Pollak told me they have both round and flat connectors that replace the blank plate that comes with the car. Many apparently use this approach since it depends on what is attached to the trailer! Finally made sense as to why Porsche did not supply it! It cost abut $10.00 (it’s their standard 7 pin arrangement that fits many cars.) Purchased a matching receptacle for about $4 and wired it to fit the 4 pin on my small trailer. Purchased the 4 Pin connector locally for $2.
The reason I could not get a reading with my VOM is the car is looking for a load. Apparently no load no power. Thinking that might be the case I had tried a 12V ~20watt bulb I use for this situation but apparently that was not good enough. It apparently needed more than one bulb connected to just one terminal. Made a simulated trailer with four 12V bulbs (one for the reverse signal.) (When you wire your own 1934 Street Rod you have a lot on excess bulbs!) It worked fine!! The bulb wired to the tail lights lit and the directional signals operated the other two. The 4th light lit when the car was put in reverse. I wanted to use the reverse signal to power a hitched mounted proximity sensor. However apparently you need more that just that connection as it did not work when the trailer bulbs were not across the other connections. Therefore when there was only a bulb on that circuitry with the other light disconnected it does not have power. So I will tap into the backup light wiring instead of getting power from the hitch plug!
For what it’s worth for the next poor sole with the problem!
Jerry
Old 03-26-2010, 02:36 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry - have been out of touch - but we do have this covered on the T-Req forums and I thought I posted the infor over here as well...
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM
Jerry U
7th Gear

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Sorry - have been out of touch - but we do have this covered on the T-Req forums and I thought I posted the infor over here as well...
Sorry I did not find it.
I did run into one snag with my "Tap the backup light approach." Found the correct wire (the proximity device I am installing uses very little power so splicing is not a problem.) Taped into the wire inside the right rear compartment and used a 2 amp fuse. However surprizingly can not find a path to the outside of the car! I have looked for even a small passage but the Cayenne is built so well they have everything sealed! Anyone have a location they found when taping into the tailights to get the wires to the outside??
Don't want to drill a hole if I don't need to.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Jerry U
7th Gear

I'm responding to my own post in case anyone has been following! It also affects folks with LED lights on their Trailer!
The "obstacle detector" purchased comes with a trailer electrical connector that plugs into a 7 pin receptacle. It picks up the 12 volts from the backup light terminal. However no trailer- no power to the connector. My solution was to make the Porsche "think" there was a trailer connected! Used 3 small 390 ohm 1/2 watt resistors from the ground connector to the right and left tail lights and running light terminals. They fit easily inside the receptacle case. Just connected from the ground to the proper terminals internally. Works great. The Porsche thinks there is a trailer connected and the 12 volts is present when the car is in reverse. Want to see pictures? They are on this link: http://www.netwelding.com/Porsche_Cayenne.htm
Old 07-11-2010, 12:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Just out of curiosity, do you now have the secondary directional indicators active on the dash display with this modification?
Old 10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
ting4x4
1st Gear

Default Everything works except brake light?

So I have read all the posts thanks to all.

My case, however, is weird. I bought a new boat with LED light. Get the factory hitch installed......after hook up with a 7 to 5 adapter, everything works except the brake light!!!

Also tried the Valley adapter <http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Valley/V39008.html?utm_medium=mcf&utm_campaign=pn> not working. Change the LED to bulb, not working.......Porsche dealer hooked up the computer, no problem....

Don't know what to do now, HELP!!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:33 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ting4x4
So I have read all the posts thanks to all.

My case, however, is weird. I bought a new boat with LED light. Get the factory hitch installed......after hook up with a 7 to 5 adapter, everything works except the brake light!!!

Also tried the Valley adapter <http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Valley/V39008.html?utm_medium=mcf&utm_campaign=pn> not working. Change the LED to bulb, not working.......Porsche dealer hooked up the computer, no problem....

Don't know what to do now, HELP!!!!
I had the exact same problem...

Here's the solution: _________

Quick Reply: Trailer Lights for the novice with factory towing package (i.e. you're using a UHaul)