Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 11:03 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cayenne Prodigy Brake Controller Install with Pictures

Cayenne Prodigy Brake Controller Install with Pictures

Here are a few pictures and some brief captions to assist those that may still need to install a brake controller to a Porsche Cayenne with factory installed brake controller harness.

NOTE: I had chosen to use the "Prodigy" brake controller by "Tekonsha" and thus have the red wire from the "Prodigy" connected to the Cayenne's brake switch. Also, I know my floor is filthy so please ignore this…

Here is some info as sent to me by “Tekonsha” that I used in installing my unit today. Click here if you wish to view it... If you are not using a Prodigy or an advanced unit such as it’s siblings then just connect your brake control wire to pin 3 of the Cayenne's factory installed wiring harness...

So here we go, the captions are below each picture...

Here you see the wiring harness that I created by splicing the Audi/VW wires (part number 000979228 quantity 2) and installing them into the Audi/VW connector (part number 1J0972782 quantity 1) with the “Tekonsha Prodigy" harness and then plugged into the Cayenne's harness as per the "Tow Package" option. The pins/connections were as follows:
Wire Position in Connector Vehicle Wire Color Brake Control Wire Color
1 Brown White
2 Red/Yellow Black
3 (not used) Black/Red Red (plugged into brake)
4 Blue Blue

Here we are with a view of the wiring harness wrapped in green cold fusion tape with the red lead from the harness external to the rest of the harness and with a plug crimp installed and ready to attach to the brake switch wire.

Here is the plug crimp on the red wire plugged into the "T-Splice" that was installed on the wire (Black/Red) on the Cayenne's brake switch.

Picture of the Cayenne's brake switch harness reattached and the red wire routed back to the Cayenne's tow harness.

Another picture showing the harness I built plugged into the Cayenne's tow harness and the red wiring as plugged into the Cayenne's brake switch.

And another picture (yawn)...

Prodigy removable mount installed (pre drilled the holes and then installed sheet metal screws that came with the Prodigy).

The Prodigy connected to it's harness and sitting in it's cradle.

Brake pedal depressed and the Prodigy showing the voltage being sent to the trailer's electric brakes.

View from below of final installation.

And final picture with the door closed and the brake being depressed thus activating the brake controller.

And that's it folks!
Old 03-06-2005, 11:25 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pix John, they will prove very usefull for others, thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 05:53 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Looks nice.

FYI, the new controller harness appears much longer than is required. With a brake controller, unlike many other electronic components, that may come into play. There are instances where a brake controller passes a significant quantity of current. The yellow VW / Porsche wire and the Tekonsha wires may be trimmed to length, minimizing the length for the thinner of the two.

Also, as has been discussed, if another controller is used, crimping onto the brake switch wire is not required.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good point about the length of the wire harnesses!

I did trim both the red wire from the "Prodigy" that needs to be connected to “a ground as received from the Cayenne when the brakes are applied” (be it pin 3 on the Cayenne tow harness or direct off the brake switch) and the remaining three "yellow" wires per the Audi/VW connector kit along with the three remaining wires that were spliced into the Prodigy's wire harness. This “wire harness” was then all wrapped in the “green” fusion tape mainly just for appearance and a little abrasion protection (not that it is really needed down there).

Figure out where you want your wires to be located and routed, then trim to length otherwise like Wingless said, you could have some pretty darn long wire runs.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bravo!
Encore, Encore
Old 03-15-2005, 11:21 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just back from my first towing experience with the Cayenne, everything worked great!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:38 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quick "Bump" for a new member who sent me a message inquring about the brake controller installs on the Cayennes...
Old 12-30-2005, 05:06 PM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

Default Anyone done this on an '06?

OK, it looks like there may have been some changes - here's a picture from under the dash of my '06:

Also, the connector for the brake controller appears to be much further up the dash:

(taken with the camera pointed straight up - notice there is no slack to pull the connector down to work on it)

Right now my biggest problem with my Prodigy installation is finding the brake switch wire. Does anyone know where this is on an '06? There are very few black wires, and none of them have red stripes (or is it something completely different?).

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:09 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MomentumGuy
Also, the connector for the brake controller appears to be much further up the dash:

notice there is no slack to pull the connector down to work on it
What work needs to be done with the connector? Doesn't this just involve plugging in the mating connector?

My 2/21/04 post in this topic shows the mating connector and part numbers.

Originally Posted by MomentumGuy
Right now my biggest problem with my Prodigy installation is finding the brake switch wire. Does anyone know where this is on an '06? There are very few black wires, and none of them have red stripes (or is it something completely different?).
Doesn't the first post in this topic show exactly where the wires are connected? The from and to colors for a Prodigy are listed.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:20 AM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

This post and all of the other information helped me get as far as I did.

As for the first part of your response, the camera angle of the pictures in this post make it look like the connector is further down than I found it - this was just informational, but it would have been nice to have a little more slack to work with. I purchased the parts from my local VW dealer and assembled the connector per instructions. No problem there.

Here is how I see the picture from the original post:

My vehicle looked different:

Again, is this a camera angle issue, or have there been changes between the model years?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:13 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Isn't this the brake switch?
Attached Images  
Old 12-31-2005, 10:08 AM
MomentumGuy
Instructor

um, no...

The wires you pointed out go to the OBD-II and light for the panel I removed - they were moved there to get them out of the way.

The third line points to where the brake pedal assembly is hinged - there are no connectors or wires leading there.

Thanks for trying to help - I will drop by the dealership and see if I can get a tech to help me. . .
Old 08-29-2007, 05:54 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

So - where is the brake switch on the '06?

Old 08-30-2007, 07:46 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Inside the master cylinder! You cannot use a Produgy on an 06 Cayenne because of that. However, the lower grade Primus controller WILL work. Don't ask me how I know......

Toby
Old 08-31-2007, 02:39 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow - now that is just Nutz!

Quick Reply: Cayenne Prodigy Brake Controller Install with Pictures