Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CD/DVD NAV Form Letter to PCNA HQ on authorizing NavTeq to update.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 08:38 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudman2
nanny nanny boo boo -- mines bigger than yours too!

(mind out of the gutter... cool avatars!)
Old 02-09-2006, 09:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
blah blah blah? hey.. just don't want people jumping because our fearless Kool-aid consumer made them think it is a big waste of time... oh, and another thing... you're quick.. you even knew it's up from 37c
Fair enough.
I will sit back and await the news of your glorious victory against PCNA.
However, since I already know how it will end up, I'll be channel surfing in the meantime.......
Old 02-09-2006, 11:26 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Fair enough. I will sit back and await the news of your glorious victory against PCNA. However, since I already know how it will end up, I'll be channel surfing in the meantime.......
Oh Great Kool-Aid one... notice that no one nor I said that you were "wrong".. However, I think this situation is different than the now infamous trailer hitch !!!!! warning creating a "black hole" whilest thou traveleth to the track (or returneth home) late at night.

This situation has all costs absorbed by NavTeq (they do it for other manf.).. All our beloved PCNA has to do is approve the new data disks for use in either the CD or DVD version. This approval is ONLY about the disks being certified to use in a Porsche PCM/NAV system under the current operating system. There is no basis for class action.. that's silly and unnecessary.. Thus the "upgrade" if provided on the same operating system would be of no additional liability or cost to Porsche.. this is simply a signature on a piece of paper allowing them to sell it (now, if a royalty is required, I'm sure NavTeq would do that too).

Totally different than your dilemma.. let me explain it in German! Here's the difference in the two scenarios, changing/ reprogramming/replacing the trailer hitch software and/or configuration means that PAG/PCNA has to admit the following:

Firztly, zat vee admit dat vere vrong in zee dezign.. zis is crap and vee von't do zis.
Zecondly, zat vee vill spedz zee money to re-write zee code.. zis is crap and vee von't do zis for zee 3 peoples zat vill bitch to uz.
Turdly, zee vill replace zee entire zing with a normal ztandard one is crap.
Fordly, vee never vill respondz to zee lawyerz.. or threats of clazz action.. but if you beg...zis is zee stuff zat vee like... vee love zee beggarz.. zee instigator of zee trailer hitch schitzu is not a beggarz.
Fifthly, zee schitzu zat dezigned zis MOST system cost uz lotz of money zo zis iz vone vay to payz zim back.
Zixly, vee schitzus need to re-readz zee firztly pointz.
Zeventhly, vee shcitzus need to be zure zat zay read zee firztly pointz.

yah.. vee no zat "Zeventhly" izn't zee vord.. but vee alwayz vanted to zay zeventhly!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Fair enough.
However, since I already know how it will end up, I'll be channel surfing in the meantime.......
I see that your glass of Kool-aid is half empty rather than half full.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:29 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Fair enough.

Well don't make promises you cannot keep big boy. Dont overdose
Old 02-10-2006, 09:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Kooser
I see that your glass of Kool-aid is half empty rather than half full.
Yes, based on experience.
Do you want me to tell you the truth about the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Santa Claus while I'm at it?

Defective rear seat belts? No problem, we'll give them A506 'Cowboy Belt Buckles', even though we already have properly designed rear seat belts already done and on the production line.

Like I said, I wish you all the best (I don't have PCM and wouldn't want it anwyays)....heated seats would have been nice however.....but I'll just sit back and watch for a flare to go up so I know the glass was always half full with PCNA and their customers.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
Well don't make promises you cannot keep big boy. Dont overdose
Overdose, Overmedicate.....what's the difference?
Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Overdose, Overmedicate.....what's the difference?
HUGE difference! If you overdose ltc you could be dead.. and then the Cayenne will have BEATEN you
so.. overmedicate anytime (don't we all with the adult kool-aid?)

Last edited by MadFox; 02-10-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:50 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just called (even though I don't have my Cayenne) and I got some great news!

PCNA said that they will NEVER update the CD's, that they 'moved on to the DVD's and will update those from time to time'. Sweet, huh?

I explained that Navteq has the updated maps and all PCNA has to do is approve the release for the Porsche software but he just stated that that's not what Porsche is planning to do. That leaves us with using what we have or upgrading to the DVD system for a cool 5 grand or so.

I lodged a complaint for whatever that will do.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
Well, I just called (even though I don't have my Cayenne) and I got some great news!

PCNA said that they will NEVER update the CD's, that they 'moved on to the DVD's and will update those from time to time'. Sweet, huh?

I explained that Navteq has the updated maps and all PCNA has to do is approve the release for the Porsche software but he just stated that that's not what Porsche is planning to do. That leaves us with using what we have or upgrading to the DVD system for a cool 5 grand or so.

I lodged a complaint for whatever that will do.
My reaction:

But then again, I'm obviously a 'glass is half empty' kind of person.

OK, Kooser, your reaction?

Remember, it's hard to breathe when you live with your head stuck in the sand (or someplace else for that matter).
Old 02-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
My reaction:

But then again, I'm obviously a 'glass is half empty' kind of person.

OK, Kooser, your reaction?

Remember, it's hard to breathe when you live with your head stuck in the sand (or someplace else for that matter).
Don't know how to take your comment since it is in written form.

Do I sense some malignant pleasure, smugness, gloating, a megalomaniacal attitude perhaps?

Assuming naiveness, blind idealism, and pure optimism from me?

I jumped onto the post to detail my dealings with this topic so far and to support others and encourage their involvement as well.

I'm all about uphill battles, win lose or draw - The pugilist in me enjoys the fight, physically or on paper. So I intend to continue my effort here with hope (even though there seems to be no chance in convincing PAG to change their mind) but this ultimately may cause me to reconsider buying a Cayman S out of principle over this matter.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Don't know how to take your comment since it is in written form..
Please allow me to translate
= I'm rolling on the floor laughing, since I knew what was going to happen ahead of time. I'm not laughing at you, so it's not personal; please don't take it as such.

Do I sense some malignant pleasure,.
Yes
smugness,.
Yes
gloating,.
Yes............come on, you're making me blush
a megalomaniacal attitude perhaps?.
DEFINTELY. My business card reads: Senior Staff Engineer, Supreme Technical Dictator for Life...I'm currently designing a uniform.

Assuming naiveness, blind idealism, and pure optimism from me?.
No, it's just that you don't realize who/what you are dealing with in the form of PAG/PCNA

I jumped onto the post to detail my dealings with this topic so far and to support others and encourage their involvement as well..
Admirable. I too try and support others (technically) and when there's nothing I can do to help them, try and lighten things up a bit and get people to read along and laugh.

I'm all about uphill battles, win lose or draw - The pugilist in me enjoys the fight, physically or on paper..
Noble, but you need to go to England if you want to be a Knight.

So I intend to continue my effort here with hope (even though there seems to be no chance in convincing PAG to change their mind) but this ultimately may cause me to reconsider buying a Cayman S out of principle over this matter.
And you wonder why there isn't a Carrera GT and never will be a Panamera in my garage...........

I wish you success in your quest
Old 02-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spoke with Navteq CS about the 'current' CD discs. As has been mentioned, 12/2004 release. The CS tells me that his system/computer is noting that the next update for the Cayenne, both CD and DVD, will be 5/2006. He has no information on how much information will be in the release. He did say that they offer the manufacturer 'all' current information. If this happens to be a true statement, then maybe the letters should implore PCNA to obain 'all' of the current data. I'll take that kool-aid.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by Grssypond
I just spoke with Navteq CS about the 'current' CD discs. As has been mentioned, 12/2004 release. The CS tells me that his system/computer is noting that the next update for the Cayenne, both CD and DVD, will be 5/2006.
grrr bASuuu bbbbbfggg jajhja...oh, excuse me, my voice was muffled whilst I was pulling my head out of my *** to read this post. (Do you like the "whilst" I thought I would work on my British dialect prior to kneeling before Her Majesty)

Perhaps not ALL is lost?

And your reaction ltc?

Seems as if Navteq and PCNA are not communicating effectively when we have conflicting reports like these.

Maybe an onslaught of letters might actually ensure that a CD update actually happens.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I am patiently awaiting the outcome from up here in the cheap seats. Somebody please wake me if I start to snore.

Prediction:
IF the new CD's are released, you will still find yourself awash in an ocean of green, all for the low price of $199.

However, I hope I am wrong, as the current situation regarding PCM nav data (again, don't own one, dont' want one, but have had a few in my loaner car and work experience) is a bit 'below expectations'

Quick Reply: CD/DVD NAV Form Letter to PCNA HQ on authorizing NavTeq to update.